DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Default Trick Drums Pro v-1 - How to adjust beater horizontally?

Have been toying with my new double bass pedals for about 3 months now. Definitely like 'em, definitely keepers. Only thing is that my right foot beater is dead center on the head, the clamp can't be slid in either direction without it causing the pedal itself to tilt awkwardly. So my left beater is quite far to the left of center, I'd say 2-3 inches. Not surprisingly, this causes my double bass patterns to have an "off" feel because they are getting a different bounce off of the head. When I play with my left by itself as if it is the only kick my play is quite a bit smoother, so I seem to be getting better action from that side.

I was wondering, has anyone figured out a way to rig the beaters to slide horizontally? It seems to be darn near the only aspect of these pedal you can't adjust. I'll try any kind of rig job if necessary. My ideal placement is R-F beaters about one inch off center on either side.

Cheers.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Trick Drums Pro v-1 - How to adjust beater horizontally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbooze View Post
Have been toying with my new double bass pedals for about 3 months now. Definitely like 'em, definitely keepers. Only thing is that my right foot beater is dead center on the head, the clamp can't be slid in either direction without it causing the pedal itself to tilt awkwardly. So my left beater is quite far to the left of center, I'd say 2-3 inches. Not surprisingly, this causes my double bass patterns to have an "off" feel because they are getting a different bounce off of the head. When I play with my left by itself as if it is the only kick my play is quite a bit smoother, so I seem to be getting better action from that side.

I was wondering, has anyone figured out a way to rig the beaters to slide horizontally? It seems to be darn near the only aspect of these pedal you can't adjust. I'll try any kind of rig job if necessary. My ideal placement is R-F beaters about one inch off center on either side.

Cheers.
The Tricks dont allow for that unfortunately (I have 2 sets), you just have to live with the left (slave) being slightly off-center. It really isnt a big deal and Ive never had any "off" feel as a result.

F
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
The Tricks dont allow for that unfortunately (I have 2 sets), you just have to live with the left (slave) being slightly off-center. It really isnt a big deal and Ive never had any "off" feel as a result.

F
Exactly right (sucks for me too). The base at the bottom that stradles the hoop fits tightly inside the 2 bottom lugs with no room for play.

The DW pedals (and many others) have the Right beater mounted to the right of the chains, which allows for the Left beater to be closer to the center.

That said, I can't tell the difference in tone or response from either pedal.

Problem is that titanium, aluminum, stainless and hardened steel ain't about to be moved with a sledgehammer. You might consider bending your beater shafts at an angle to move them more to the right? But wait, even the shafts are titanium.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Pretty much all double pedals have this issue. If you use any muffling against the batter head, you can slide it a bit towards the right beater to even out the feel and tone a bit, I've done it myself and it works quite well.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Having had the same question myself in the past, it occured to me that the Dixson bass drum lift would let you adjust where you clamp the pedal:
http://www.bassdrumlift.com/

Never bought or used one, but it seems like it would do the trick.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Hmmm, that's a very intriguing gizmo. This one review on Musicians Friend gives me some pause...

Quote:
The problem I am having with it is, if I place the lift so that the pedal is where it would normally be in relation to the drum head, my pedal hits the hoop when the pedal is pressed down. If I back it off so that the pedal doesn't hit the hoop, then the beater is too far away from the head when the pedal is pressed down.
This could be an issue for me, since I love - love - love how close I can get the beater to the head on my pro 1-v. However, at $40 I'm probably going to take a flier on it. If I get it, I'll post back after after a couple sessions to share my thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbooze View Post
Hmmm, that's a very intriguing gizmo. This one review on Musicians Friend gives me some pause...

This could be an issue for me, since I love - love - love how close I can get the beater to the head on my pro 1-v. However, at $40 I'm probably going to take a flier on it. If I get it, I'll post back after after a couple sessions to share my thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm thinking of just building one myself out of wood, should be easy. Just gotta figure out what type of rubber to use so the laquer won't get scratched. It could be attached to the bassdrum itself by the air vent underneath, or "locked" between the four lugs closest to the floor but that would require a larger construction.

Last edited by Sjogras; 01-19-2013 at 05:07 AM.