DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Default Gibraltar Stealth Rack questions

Does anyone here have a Stealth Rack? What are your thoughts on the sturdiness of it?

I've been thinking about getting one but I'm not sure it would be sturdy enough for the idea I had... which was to use the top half of one of these:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/pic...700Q_large.jpg
which mounts two toms and possibly two cymbal arms

in one of the spaces in this:

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/image...large/4776.jpg

but I'm not sure it would hold it.. thoughts?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gibraltar Stealth Rack questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoori View Post
Does anyone here have a Stealth Rack? What are your thoughts on the sturdiness of it?

I've been thinking about getting one but I'm not sure it would be sturdy enough for the idea I had... which was to use the top half of one of these:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/pic...700Q_large.jpg
which mounts two toms and possibly two cymbal arms

in one of the spaces in this:

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/image...large/4776.jpg

but I'm not sure it would hold it.. thoughts?
I haven't personally got a stealth rack, but I've used Gibraltar rack products for over 20 years, and the answer is, yes it would.

The rack is chromed steel. You aren't going to break it putting another tom on it. The balance will actually be improved, and if you look at the footprint of that component of the stealth rack, it's got four points of contact with the floor, but two of those feet are so close that it's essentially a tripod. That's going to be very steady. Just go for it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM

Thanks Alparrott! I've been experimenting with the idea of racks for a long time but the larger, over-bass drum ones all seem too wide/tall (I generally play small bass drums) cumbersome and harder to deal with than regular tripod stands. I've thought about picking up a used Gibraltar rack and maybe having the center bar and legs cut down to a more desirable size where it would be tighter around my bass drum and wouldn't look silly with the the toms super low over my BD, but, I feel like that's a whole shitload of work.
This is the first one that seems to fill my needs.

For anyone interested in this too... This guy seems to be flying two toms on the stealth rack without any issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66VCJXS7y1E

I'm looking forward to getting this system. Seems like a no brainer. Maybe I'll post up something detailed about it when I get it, though I'm sure someone here already has.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

I play a 20" kick and I also didn't like the height on the normal racks. I eventually tore apart my racks, added some shorter pipes, and went with something similar to the stealth racks, but with 24" or 26" vertical tubes and the horizontal tubes towards the top of those. This left the space over the kick clear and helped me get the toms lower over the kick.

Remember, if you think you need more stability towards the front of the stealth, you can swap out the front T-leg with a slightly longer bar. But I think you'll be fine with the stock leg.

In any case, the Gibraltar stuff is well-made, and with the stealth racks, you'll have less to carry. Best of luck, and post pics when you get it all together!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

I have the stealth rack. Love it. I have a 35 lb super thick 13x8 steel snare on it, as well as a 16" rack tom.

I also have two curved rack pieces coming off the bottom of it going outwards, then back towards me as some sort of crazy clingon weapon mic stand, which also holds my trigger module.

Solid as a rock.

You'll love it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 AM
Pioneer Member

I have the stealth and the side stealth rack. Rock solid. I originally had a set of Dream Bliss cymbals that were lightweight compared to my current Paiste 2002 set up. On the stealth I have a Paiste 2002 18 inch crash, 12x14 in rack tom and a Supraphonic LM402. On the side stealth rack I have a Paiste 2002 24 inch ride, 18 inch med crash and 20 inch crash/ride and a cowbell. Both racks are rock solid.
Attached Images

Animal Life Savers
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretton View Post
I have the stealth rack. Love it. I have a 35 lb super thick 13x8 steel snare on it, as well as a 16" rack tom.

I also have two curved rack pieces coming off the bottom of it going outwards, then back towards me as some sort of crazy clingon weapon mic stand, which also holds my trigger module.

Solid as a rock.

You'll love it.
haha your kit is like a space alien.