DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Really small lugs

So I'm trying to retrofit an old Premier Royal Ace snare. This is what it looks like:
http://bjornsdrums.webs.com/snaredrums.htm (The Royal Ace Piccolos)

I wasn't the first owner; that guy dropped it on a concrete floor and broke three lugs. These lugs have offset tension rods, which means offset holes on the shell. I need really small lugs that can fit beside each other because I don't think anyone makes lugs like these anymore. Got ideas?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Really small lugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsusMagnus View Post
So I'm trying to retrofit an old Premier Royal Ace snare. This is what it looks like:
http://bjornsdrums.webs.com/snaredrums.htm (The Royal Ace Piccolos)

I wasn't the first owner; that guy dropped it on a concrete floor and broke three lugs. These lugs have offset tension rods, which means offset holes on the shell. I need really small lugs that can fit beside each other because I don't think anyone makes lugs like these anymore. Got ideas?
Well, at least the lug casings themselves didn't break. Those seem like they would be hard to find. You can order the lugs from any drum hardware site, and if they're a bit over-sized to fit side-by-side within the lug casings, you could always file them down a bit...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Actually, I think it's the casing's that's broken. The thing that's supposed to be holding the metal thing where the tension rods go in isn't holding. (Yeah, I'm a little ignorant about lugs. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't paid as much attention to them until now.)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting entirely new lugs and replacing the ones I have on altogether. What do you guys think of the Bronson lugs that Ahead has on their new brass snare? They're really pricey, but seems promising. A friend of mine also showed me a similar lug: it's kinda D-shaped, looks smaller than the Bronson, and a lot less expensive.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Your going to have to most likely drill extra holes in that drum for new lugs.........which is a really bad idea.That will destroy most of the resale value of a collectable drum.

Using a non original modern lug is NOT upgrading that drum,but rather the opposite.

There are Premier collectors as well as other vintage drum forums like the vintage drum forum,where you can find original replacement lugs.

Steve B
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

I had a Tama kit from the early 80's that I got from a friend for nothing. It had been in his basement and been water damaged. I took all the hardware off and sold it on my local Kijiji site. I am sure if you start asking in the right places, you will find what you need.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Oh. I think you mean lug casings. The lug is the nut that the tension rod screws into.

Another solution would be to keep the existing holes in the shell, and just get new, matching lug casings all around. The only issue I would see would be the snare-side hoop hole (for the snare straps/strings) being slightly off, but that should be negligible, and a quick and easy fix if it's a problem. You could also be on the lookout for the matching lug casings on eBay, but that might take quite a while, and might be pricey as well.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

The thing that's supposed to be holding the metal thing where the tension rods go in isn't holding.

If you mean the lug nut is spinning, its a common problem with PREMIER lugs of this design.

The lug nut is the piece at the top of the lug the tension rod screws into. If that's the case you have options.
Attached Images