DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Bertrand Zerpersande Bertrand Zerpersande is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 13
Default Hardware suggestions

I have a room that is 5' 5" x 11'. Of that, 5' 5" x 6', (maybe 7') is available for the kit. The kit will consist of 4 mounted toms, 2 floor toms, 3 cymbals, hi-hat, snare and 18" kick. e-drums for what it is worth. It will be unlikely the kit will ever be moved, though I guess anything is possible. Highly unlikely though.

Questions?

1) Comments about the sufficiency of the space?
2) Rack or stands?
3) Specific products required for your suggestion in #2. Approximate cost would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Yeah, you can fit on the floor... it'll be pretty tight though and depends how deep your bass drum is. The real problem will be positioning your cymbals.

I'd get a rack, Gibraltar's Stealth Rack is good for this sort of thing and it would give you more space in the air since you won't have cymbal boom arms poking out of the front of the rack.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Bertrand Zerpersande Bertrand Zerpersande is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 13
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Yep, checked out the site. They seem to be more than a little pricey but look rock solid. I tried their "build it" but it was out both then and today. I've since found LOTS of stands on the Japanese auction site at very low prices, so going with stands would be easy and economical. I do like the Gibraltar system though. 😛

Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
I'd get a rack, Gibraltar's Stealth Rack is good for this sort of thing and it would give you more space in the air since you won't have cymbal boom arms poking out of the front of the rack.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

stands will not fit along with 7 drums in a 6 x 6 area, you might make it in with a rack, or you might have to leave some toms off. Best of luck.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
stands will not fit along with 7 drums in a 6 x 6 area, you might make it in with a rack, or you might have to leave some toms off. Best of luck.
Actually I just fully read the post- 7 e-drums, you say? E-cymbals as well? Are they like Roland kind or acoustic converted e-drums? If they are acoustic then there's no way you'll fit all 6 toms in one room but if they're pads, you should have no problem.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Bertrand Zerpersande Bertrand Zerpersande is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 13
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Acoustic e-drums. Since they are custom made I could have the tom depth shortened, though to do that too much destroys the natural look of the kit. The kick is currently 18x16.

Also, the 5' 5" dimension is MAX. I can go up to 7', maybe a tad more. The Gibraltar Stealth is interesting will likely be expensive bit I can't tell how much so because their DIY rack design page is still down. 😖

I'm looking at a Pearl rack, not the Icon, but I think it is going to require a trip to the music store. I can speak some Japanese but the websites are beyond me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
Actually I just fully read the post- 7 e-drums, you say? E-cymbals as well? Are they like Roland kind or acoustic converted e-drums? If they are acoustic then there's no way you'll fit all 6 toms in one room but if they're pads, you should have no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand Zerpersande View Post
Acoustic e-drums. Since they are custom made I could have the tom depth shortened, though to do that too much destroys the natural look of the kit. The kick is currently 18x16.

Also, the 5' 5" dimension is MAX. I can go up to 7', maybe a tad more. The Gibraltar Stealth is interesting will likely be expensive bit I can't tell how much so because their DIY rack design page is still down. 😖

I'm looking at a Pearl rack, not the Icon, but I think it is going to require a trip to the music store. I can speak some Japanese but the websites are beyond me.
Yeah pretty much any rack would do especially since you'll want to mount the drums on that... never mind about the Stealth. You probably don't need to shorten any toms and the bass drum is small enough so that you can probably fit the rack toms in low over it. The only thing I'm worried about is the floor toms but you could always try putting one on your left (it's fun!).

I'm not sure why I was worried about the cymbal arms going out front and forgot that the Stealth Rack is pretty strange about tom mounting... sorry about that. I think you'll probably be fine with the possible exception of one floor tom.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Bertrand Zerpersande Bertrand Zerpersande is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 13
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Yeah, the Stealth really has a minimalistic look to it. Very clean. But it is also minimalistic when it comes to space. It looked like if there was a rail running over the front it would work snd still maintain that look', but it's difficult figuring out what is needed to mount everything AND make sure it will fit. I'm trying to find dealer that knows the product and see if they can put a package together that will work in my space.

I don't want to order the drums until I CERTAIN I've got a rack that will hold everything in tje space I have. Gibraltar makes another rack you are probably familiar w/ and it has two wings off a front bar. One configuration had the hi-hat built in.

I'll post a link to a diagram of a very similar setup in a minute. It migjt give you or someone else familiar with Gibraltar products an insight.

Thanks for all the input thus far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
I'm not sure why I was worried about the cymbal arms going out front and forgot that the Stealth Rack is pretty strange about tom mounting... sorry about that. I think you'll probably be fine with the possible exception of one floor tom.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Bertrand Zerpersande Bertrand Zerpersande is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 13
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Here's a link to the layout:

http://drumsetgallery.pschuetz.com/show.php?drummer=11

Basically three changes.....
1- Counting from the left, remove cymbals 1, 2 and 5
2- Change the tom sizes to 8/10/10/12/13/14
3- Flip the diagram over so it's for a right-hand drummer.

Those last two toms might get decreased in depth by an inch to 13x12 and
14x13. Or thereabouts. If necessary a vertical pole could be added at the end of the mounted floor toms to support the weight.

It might help to visualize the room. Double sliding doors with the 5' 5" x 11' room centered on the doors. Exterior exit door on far left wall, dog cage pn left against house as you enter. Mu idea is to position the kit so so that it is rotated clockwise as much as possible to decrease wasted area behind the mounted floor toms and increase the space to the exterior door. I have no wiggle room on the 5' 5" portion but up to 9' toward the hit hat portion of tje kit as long as it doesn't block the outside exit.

To me, I think it is workable. Can anybody suggest a dealer coopetative enough and sufficiently knowledgeable to design a kit guaranteed to fit?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
neilpscuz's Avatar
neilpscuz neilpscuz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: central ohio
Posts: 332
Default Re: Hardware suggestions

Rack would probably work wonders for you, PDP is a great option.
__________________
MSP"LISTEN MISTER I AM THE BAND"-BUDDY RICH
FACEBOOK
MIKEPERKINATORPERKINS
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com