Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Behold.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
They look fantastic! Great job.

Can I ask what kind of polish you used and if you would recommend it?
My wife had this Melaleuca stuff that you can use on furniture, I forget what its called. And you can't get it in a store anyway. But it's very much like your standard Pledge, but without that residue. It brought back alot of the luster but when I was done, there wasn't any of that waxy feel to the shells. It was like it was cleaned at the same time. Fantastic stuff. Although I used it, I used it very sparingly anyway. Up close the shells look like how an old violin looks - very woody with just enough gloss. I saw a new Ludwig kit at Pro Drum yesterday and I swear they polyurethane it so much it looks like it's covered with glass.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

BTW - I've posted a video demonstrating what the kit sounds like, and that thread is here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102042
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

I love that kit Bo, great job.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Oh yeah!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Why is it set up backwards? :)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, that is pimp! Great job.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I saw a new Ludwig kit at Pro Drum yesterday and I swear they polyurethane it so much it looks like it's covered with glass.

Fantastic looking drums Bo. They are 'thunder' I'm sure. I would love to sit behind those for even a few minutes....just to hear that awesome bass with snare and hats.
Great job Bo. They look incredible and probably sound at least that.

Cheers to you mate

gary

Poly:
A lot of drums are covered in Poly these days as you know. Two camps on that....1) you can get a 'foot deep' gloss finish = nice 2) A repair job is not easy and it is very difficult to remove.....not so nice. My Gretsch Purewoods have a Poly finish and they are gorgeous. But I think I still like the Custom USA Nitrocellulose finish.....it breaths (easy to remove too - but very messy).
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Bo lives in an alternate universe of awesomeness.
YouTube Channel
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
It's the mirror's side of Bo's personality :)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Because that particular set is made to look like that...

Jk, he plays left-handed, so it is not backward, it is just different than what you normally see.

Hey bo, you know what would make that set even more awesome? A 26x24 kick. Just imagine that sound!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post

Jk, he plays left-handed, so it is not backward, it is just different than what you normally see.
Thanks Captain Obvious...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks Captain Obvious...
Well I am sorry, I have been listening to too much frank caliendo John madden impersonations. If you having heard them by the way, check them out they are hilarious. Unless of course you don't know who John madden is.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
Bo lives in an alternate universe of awesomeness.
Do not make me blush. The drums have made me sound awesome.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Do not make me blush. The drums have made me sound awesome.
What happened to the Indian and the arrow? Hehe.
YouTube Channel
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

And the project is completed! I bought a 6.5x14 Supraphonic b/o badge from 1980 today from a guy in Texas. I should see it next week. I also got a FlexFrame coming for the rack tom. I got a gig next week, so the kit will debut with the correct pieces!

Ironically, I bought my second Supraphonic (5x14, b/o badge) in 1980 too.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

Oooh... Be sure to post some pictures of the Supra when it comes in. I'm also curious as to how the Flex Frame will affect the tone of the tom.

Bo, do you see yourself using this kit for all the gigs you would normally take you 20" bass drum to or will if just be for the High School theater gigs?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Oooh... Be sure to post some pictures of the Supra when it comes in. I'm also curious as to how the Flex Frame will affect the tone of the tom.

Bo, do you see yourself using this kit for all the gigs you would normally take you 20" bass drum to or will if just be for the High School theater gigs?
Will do. I plan on using a pretty model for it too ;)

But yeah, I intend to use this for everything. I still have my Granstars and Starclassics with the 22" bass drums, but let's see if I can't make this work. It's basically a 4-piece on steroids. Or a 4-piece with a huge bass drum.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Pioneer Member

The Flex Frame works great for me. Just make sure your snare basket can accommodate a 15 inch shell. I have three snare stands and two of my snare stands would not open wide enough for the Flex Frame only my DW 5303 would open wide enough. I've included a picture of my 12x14 rack sitting on the Flex Frame in the snare basket to give you an idea as to how the Flex Frame exceeds the circumference of the shell by about an inch. Sorry for the bad photo.
Attached Images

Animal Life Savers
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn View Post
The Flex Frame works great for me. Just make sure your snare basket can accommodate a 15 inch shell. I have three snare stands and two of my snare stands would not open wide enough for the Flex Frame only my DW 5303 would open wide enough. I've included a picture of my 12x14 rack sitting on the Flex Frame in the snare basket to give you an idea as to how the Flex Frame exceeds the circumference of the shell by about an inch. Sorry for the bad photo.
Thanks for the advice! But I think I'm cool since it's going on a 13" tom instead. I didn't go completely Bonham, it's partially a Buddy Rich set-up with the 9x13 tom ;)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! But I think I'm cool since it's going on a 13" tom instead. I didn't go completely Bonham, it's partially a Buddy Rich set-up with the 9x13 tom ;)
Sorry, I should have caught that, the result of an early morning PRE coffee reply lol. Yep, you will be just fine. Nice video by the way, drums sound great.

Animal Life Savers
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
My wife had this Melaleuca stuff that you can use on furniture, I forget what its called. And you can't get it in a store anyway. But it's very much like your standard Pledge, but without that residue. It brought back alot of the luster but when I was done, there wasn't any of that waxy feel to the shells. It was like it was cleaned at the same time. Fantastic stuff. Although I used it, I used it very sparingly anyway. Up close the shells look like how an old violin looks - very woody with just enough gloss. I saw a new Ludwig kit at Pro Drum yesterday and I swear they polyurethane it so much it looks like it's covered with glass.
I believe it's called Rustic Touch, if I'm thinking of the right bottle... My mom sells melaleuca products, so she'll ship me loads of stuff that will last me a year or two. Most or all products are all natural so they aren't really harmful, which is great for people scared to mess up their kit. I can't see why it wouldn't work well on a set of drums; most are finished as well or better than pieces of furniture.

Great looking set! I think I might have to start using rustic touch the next time I shine up my kit.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throughthecities View Post
I believe it's called Rustic Touch, if I'm thinking of the right bottle... My mom sells melaleuca products, so she'll ship me loads of stuff that will last me a year or two. Most or all products are all natural so they aren't really harmful, which is great for people scared to mess up their kit. I can't see why it wouldn't work well on a set of drums; most are finished as well or better than pieces of furniture.

Great looking set! I think I might have to start using rustic touch the next time I shine up my kit.
You are correct! I went and found the bottle and it is indeed Rustic Touch. I did not use alot. I sprayed just a bit on the shell and quickly wiped it down with a cotton towel. I had wanted to use tung oil on the interiors to give it back that nice woody smell as well, but the interiors are also thermaglossed, so I refrained from that.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Just an update for you guys following this thread - I've completed the vibe on this kit today when a Ludwig 6.5x14 b/o badge Supraphonic showed up from the UPS man. I already had new heads and snare wires for it waiting and quickly gave it a light cleaning and installed everything. It was from the late 70s as well, and it had an internal muffler which I removed.

I was wrong about my Tama Rockstar sounding close to a Supra. It doesn't come close at all. The Supra, just has this identifiable sound unique to itself. It sounds wonderful with this kit, and now every drum in the kit is from the same era. The guy I bought it from either hated it, or didn't know what he had. He didn't change the bottom head or snare wires since he got it over 30 years ago (of course he told me it was playable right out of the box - which it was - if you're into that kind of sonic torture). When I installed new heads and wires - along with aircraft cable to secure the wires - the drum just lit me up. It sounds incredible.

Tonight was my first rehearsal with the kids and this kit. The guys in the band noted how the bass drum just fills up more space, and the kids on stage noticed that they could now feel the drums coming up through their feet. It works!

I have cases for the 9x13, snare, and the 18" floor tom already (all mis-matched, but workable), so tonight I ordered those Ahead Armor bags for the 16x26 bass drum and the 16x16 floor tom. I drive around in an open pickup so the drums should be protected by something.

I was also debating getting some flat based hardware, and I still might do that. But I had no problem packing up my Pearl 900 cymbals stands and Tama Road Pro hardware for now. We'll see how my back holds up over the next few days (got a show Friday and Saturday, with a rehearsal with another school Saturday morning, so I'll be moving this kit around some).

Musically, it wasn't just the fact that I could do Bonham licks and sound close to it. As a four-piece it's pretty versatile, and the super low bass drum really adds to what I'm doing right now. This kit rocks!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

So Bo, did you get a good deal on the supra?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
So Bo, did you get a good deal on the supra?
Considering prices on the used market, $450 was the best I could do. Alot of sellers know a b/o badge Supra equates to Bonham so I found prices between $600 - $999 in some cases. I don't know if they actually sell, but they're trying!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Cool, not bad on the price either for a B/O '80.
I've seen a decent (had some pitting) '72 SELL for $800 (+ shipping) a couple years ago.
I saw a NOS '79 SELL for $1000. That's just crazy, but, I have to admit, a new in box from '79 would be pretty dang cool.

The 402 really does have "that" sound. Mostly associated with Bonham, but everyone who played it back in the day got "that" sound character mixed in with how they tuned and played.

I think you're going to find that 26 very "usable" for a whole lot of playing situations.
People may even start requesting it. Once people start getting used to hearing and feeling the bass drum, you may start hearing comments about them not hearing/feeling "it" when they play with other drummers. That's happened to me quite a few times, and you don't have to play heavy on it either :-)

Have fun on you gigs!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

That seems to be the going rate for the 402. Ive seen those 900.00 ebay ones as well, but are they selling? I have 402 envy, ive got the mid 70's 400 which i love but i cant stop searching for a 402. There is a drum show coming up in april and im bringing cash to see if i can score a good deal on one.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
That seems to be the going rate for the 402. Ive seen those 900.00 ebay ones as well, but are they selling? I have 402 envy, ive got the mid 70's 400 which i love but i cant stop searching for a 402. There is a drum show coming up in april and im bringing cash to see if i can score a good deal on one.
Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on some of those eBay ones that are asking for alot of money. If they do eventually sell, I'd be surprised. People who pay that kind of price must really have the Supra-Bonham itch. But, you have to admit, Ludwig Supraphonics are probably the only drums turning into cash cows like Les Pauls, rare Fender guitars or Harley Davidson motorcycles. Good for Ludwig.

And Karl - yes, I can see people requesting the bigger bass drum in the future. I really liked being the big bottom end of the band. And you're right, I did not have to pound it to make it sound, like I have to with a smaller drum. My bass drum foot danced a bit more and played things without having to muscle through them. That was a really nice side-effect of the big drum.

Same thing with my 24" K Light Ride - didn't really have to muscle that either, but when I went to the wash it totally filled up the sonic space without having to kill it, and when I did, well.....