DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 AM

Default If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

The subject kinda says it all.

I don't think I would be able to
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

I would burn my toms and sleep in my bass drum. I don't know how they would keep me alive though....
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM

Default Re: If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

Nope ... I would die playing and then you can bury me with it!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

I would have sold them long before it got to that.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

They're drums. A commodity designed to entertain.......not sustain.

In the unlikely situation that it ever came down to me or my kit.....no brainer. If you believe otherwise, I really wouldn't want you next to me when the chips were down. Your lack of basic self preservation is way too skewed to be of any real use anyway. :-)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

This is slightly preposterous,but I'll play.If for some reason the only wood I had was a set of drums,and I had to burn it to avoid freezing to death...I know I would certainly burn them.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy,I had no power for 11 days.That means no heat either,so I had to burn wood to stay warm.I knew I would do anything I had to do to stay alive.

When faced with a real survival situation,most people would do the same I think.

I realize this seems like test of how much you love your instrument,but you can always GET ANOTHER SET OF DRUMS.Bang on tin cans,plastic buckets...anything.But you can't play them if you're dead.

I love my drums too,but if it comes down to breathing or playing....breathing wins by a long shot.Besides......there's a lot more to life than drums.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 01-06-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

There was an old SNL skit: "What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?"

Kinda Deja Vu here.

Also if you burned your drums to survive - you might not because of the fumes the lamination would give off when they burned. Close enough to be warm, close enough to breathe in toxic fumes.

Not 100% on that but .....

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

I have never had to burn drums to stay warm, because usually when I've been in situations where keeping warm was that critical, my drums were thousands of miles away. However, I did once come to a point where my truck, my computer and my drums were the last three things of any real value I owned, and I was sinking under a mountain of debt. So I cleaned up the drums and loaded them in the car to take them to the local music shop to get them sold to make bill payments for another month or two. On the way back from the car with the last load of drums, I saw the mailman pull away from the mailbox. Went and checked it, and lo and behold, it was a debt consolidation offer at 2.9% (compared to the 30+% interest I was currently under). Within a year, I did in fact take those drums to the store -- but it was to trade them in for a brand new set, as I was well above water for the first time in years.

And agreed, drums are probably not going to burn very cleanly, so don't burn them inside.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Like this ?
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Hell, if it came down to it, I would eat children to stay alive. I mean, I'm not a freak or anything, I'd eat neighborhood kids before I'd ever eat my own kids.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I'd sell them and buy a warm coat, etc for a more permanent solution to the cold.

As for actually burning drums, I think the wrap, heads, and glue would give off some pretty toxic fumes. Also, I believe some companies still use a formaldehyde-based glue, although Ludwig doesn't. So I guess the Ludwigs go first! Man, I could stay warm all winter!

Bermuda
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Or you could just play 'em.........you know, for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Hell, if it came down to it, I would eat children to stay alive. I mean, I'm not a freak or anything, I'd eat neighborhood kids before I'd ever eat my own kids.
Hey, at least you'd save on 44 gallon drums that way.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

I'd sell 'em. As a wood source, drums aren't a very efficient way to make heat (as in burning). Burning 'em might keep me warm, for a night .... maybe two. Selling of my gear would probably sustain me for a year, maybe longer.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
As for actually burning drums, I think the wrap, heads, and glue would give off some pretty toxic fumes. Also, I believe some companies still use a formaldehyde-based glue,
Wow, thanks for that Jon. That's another "feature" I can put on our website. Our drums are supremely survival friendly. One hell of an expensive fire though :(
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

I would sleep in my bass drum, use sticks and drum books for kindling, modify the snare to catch rabbits, hi-hat stand to spear fish, hi-hat cymbals to stun them, beaters to tenderize them, crash cymbals to cure them, ride cymbals to melt snow for water and toms for storage.

I think I could last through the winter...

-John
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'd burn my drums to stay alive, but not yours, Andy. I'd take one for the general good and just freeze to preserve those beauties.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I would sleep in my bass drum, use sticks and drum books for kindling, modify the snare to catch rabbits, hi-hat stand to spear fish, hi-hat cymbals to stun them, beaters to tenderize them, crash cymbals to cure them, ride cymbals to melt snow for water and toms for storage.

I think I could last through the winter...

-John
This is brilliant! Why didn't I think of this when I was married and Y2K was scaring everyone?

"Honey, these aren't my toys. They're going to insure our survival."
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Or you could just play 'em...
... to stay warm :)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know what situation I would be in where it would come down to this decision. I would sell my kits long before losing my house. If I lost my house, I would have friends and relatives to stay with. If I wasn't able to pull my situation together before outlasting the generosity of my many friends and family members, I would probably be in such a deep, despondent funk that I would have offed myself long before that happened.

Happy New Year!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

I have three old spare Pearl toms in the garage. Maybe I'll use them tomorrow for firestarter in my wood stove.

BTW - what's the thickest diameter drum sticks you can buy? Maybe something like Tommy Chong played? ;)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 AM

Yes. I absolutely would.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
This is the type of etiquette that separates us from barbarians.

-John
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

There's an elephant in the room here.

If you really were bankrupt, isn't it likely that your drums would have been taken away by bailiffs in the first place?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
There's an elephant in the room here.
In that case, I'm not worried. Do you have any idea how much heat an elephant can generate in an enclosed space? Nobody mentioned the elephant. So it's settled. Elephant for heat, neighborhood kids for eating. And you still get to play drums!

Quote:
If you really were bankrupt, isn't it likely that your drums would have been taken away by bailiffs in the first place?
Let's hope not. They may ask questions about the elephant in your room. I think you might need a permit.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

I'm suddenly reminded of the 'Stampy' episode of 'The Simpsons', in which Bart wins an elephant.

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns2VDkepqzg
Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Drummers in Florida probably won't need to burn their drums to stay warm.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 AM

No. No way. Too small a fire. Burn your sofa first.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 AM

play for money!.............
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanadrummer View Post
My answer.

Set them up, busk for dinner and a bed...maybe a band notices, picks you up and you start gigging.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Hell yeah.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

First, that question alone is... unthinkable.
Now if I _had_ to decide...
Having 8 guitars/basses I'd say from a drumming perspective I'd first burn a few guitars to save my drums.
From a guitarist's perspective I might claim to do it vice versa ;-) Haha, but it's certainly a dilemma.
Does studio gear burn? Because I do have some of that stuff, too. I'd surely cry burning anything out of what I have now.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanadrummer View Post
He already tried that....that's why he's bankrupt.:)

Steve B
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Drummers in Florida probably won't need to burn their drums to stay warm.
Remember that we consider 65 fahrenheit cold ;)
I have enough used up drumsticks to survive any situation. I could string them together and make a raft or use them as firewood, or arrows\spears...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Actually, I have been bankrupt, starving and cold, but I didn't burn my kit to keep myself alive.

Instead, I sold my comic book collection - 2 copies each of every Marvel and DC superhero comic published from 1961 thru 1979. It was worth a hell of a lot more than my 1958 Ludwig Super Classic kit (black diamond pearl wrap), and not only did the sale keep me alive, it gave me enough to live on for a couple of years.

It was a tough call, though. Back when I split from my 2nd wife I drove off to a new life in Santa Fe, NM with a suitcase full of underwear, my Navajo dog, the comic collection, and the drum kit. At the time, I couldn't imagine living without any of that. Well, maybe I could've done without the underwear, but I doubt anyone would've bought it.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM

I once had to sell a Noble & Cooley Horizon series kit to pay some bills.Never burn your drums you can always sell or barter with them. Our drum shells are made from logs so you could use one for firewood if you had to.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM

I only play a 4 piece so burning my kit probably wouldn't keep me warm for very long.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Remember that we consider 65 fahrenheit cold ;)
I have enough used up drumsticks to survive any situation. I could string them together and make a raft or use them as firewood, or arrows\spears...
too bad Tom Hanks wasn't a drummer in the movie where he's stranded on an island.....
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

If I was that destitute, the drums would have been long gone. I'm a survivor first. The rest is
icing on the cake.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

I was planning on eating my drums in that eventuality.