DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Zildjian k custom hybrid crashes

I have just come back from my local drum shop where i was trying out crash cymbals and i have set my heart on getting 2 new crashes to replace my old ones. I got in there and tried nearly all the crashes and fell in love with the k custom hybrids (17" and 19") and think i am going to buy them. But i want to make sure they not only sound good in the shop but with my band. My band plays rock and hard rock and i was wondering if any of you guys used these cymbals in a rock setting and whether they work
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Zildjian k custom hybrid crashes

Sure, they'll work - Taylor Hawkins uses the 19". I guess the question is: why wouldn't they work? Just because they're Ks doesn't mean they can't be used for rock. I play rock, too, and have been mixing in Ks for almost as long as I've been playing with no issues. They're just another voice and truth be told, they're not all that dark. Not like really thin hand-made Turkish cymbals, anyway.

It sounds like you like them, so go for it. But if on the off chance you don't like them with your band, you can return them. I've done that and so have others on this board. Just don't sit on them for a month and then try to take them back - give it a practice or two and see how it goes, but also remember that you'll need to adjust to their new sounds, so don't be too quick to be down on them if they're not quite what you expected.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrokid View Post
I have just come back from my local drum shop where i was trying out crash cymbals and i have set my heart on getting 2 new crashes to replace my old ones. I got in there and tried nearly all the crashes and fell in love with the k custom hybrids (17" and 19") and think i am going to buy them. But i want to make sure they not only sound good in the shop but with my band. My band plays rock and hard rock and i was wondering if any of you guys used these cymbals in a rock setting and whether they work
Our local recording studio uses a set of 15" and 18" K Custom Hybrids; they've been on all sorts of music produced in this town over the last five years. I would venture to say sonically, they will work. They are thinner, though, so watch how you wallop them with your .650 diameter sticks...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I really like them. I have been playing mine for about 5 years now.

They work with any music!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

I would get an 18 and 19, because I think the 18 might last longer than the 17. Just mentioning that because I've cracked every 16 or 17 I've ever owned, lol.