DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Default If you play Speed Metal, Black Metal or Death Metal did you start off that way?

For you guys who play the Speed Metal, Black Metal or Death Metal which requires serious stamina. I was wondering if you guys started out playing that kind of music or did you first start off playing something much easier such as Doom Metal?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
WFD Champion

Default Re: If you play Speed Metal, Black Metal or Death Metal did you start off that way?

I didnt start double bass til i was 18...at 27 I became world champion ...theres no rules! just try HARD always...if you want those chops..you can earn em!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: If you play Speed Metal, Black Metal or Death Metal did you start off that way?

When I started playing metal I played along to Cradle of Filths 'Midian' and it was good because there are lots of slower sections to play with and the fills are really standard so you aren't distracted from learning double bass. From there I went to Dimmu Borgir. And also played along to just about everything with very inappropriate double bass lol.

I don't think you could just jump into the speed stuff, gotta walk before you can run.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shild View Post
For you guys who play the Speed Metal, Black Metal or Death Metal which requires serious stamina. I was wondering if you guys started out playing that kind of music or did you first start off playing something much easier such as Doom Metal?
Just a question from an old guy getting back into it. Way back when I used to play Metal it was pretty much just categorized as Heavy Metal (back when Di'Anno sang with Maiden & Rick Allen had 2 arms).

What are the differences between Speed, Black, Death and Doom Metal? Any examples of each?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareless View Post
Just a question from an old guy getting back into it. Way back when I used to play Metal it was pretty much just categorized as Heavy Metal (back when Di'Anno sang with Maiden & Rick Allen had 2 arms).

What are the differences between Speed, Black, Death and Doom Metal? Any examples of each?
Found some Doom metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9uuXaTYyg
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

I started playing what became Thrash in the early 80's; we just made it up as we went along and somehow it took off. To us, it was just a mix of what we were hearing with the NWOBHM and harkening back to the days when we played Punk. My former metal band played it's 25th anniversary tour in 2008.

If there is a style you want to play, just start with easier pieces until you're stamina builds and you can nail the faster, more complex ones. As is commonly said: Practise, practise, practise.