DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Help me decide on new heads for a new sound.

So I've been running coated emps over coated ambs forever. I love the sound, especially on my recently acquired classic maples. I just feel like I want to experiment with something different. I figure what I have is round and warm. I want to try fat and wet. So, I'm thinking either a clear G2 or G14 over a clear G1 or possibly resonant glass. I'm looking for some input and or direction. Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Help me decide on new heads for a new sound.

I've only tried Evans once and that was just an old used G2 Coated over my Remo Ambassador Clear on my 12" tom just as a backup head I got from my cousin. So I can't really help you with deciding on what Evans heads to go with, but I've used quite a few different Remo heads. No matter what heads I go with on the toms (which are birch 10", 12", and 14" by the way), I always use Ambassador Clears as resonant heads. I tried Aquarian Performance II's once about 5 years ago and they did a good job. I've also used Emperor Smooth Whites, Ambassador Clears, Pinstripe Coated, and Pinstripe Clears as batter heads. No matter what I try these days, NOTHING (at least on my shells) compares to the Pinstripe Clears over Ambassador Clears. I actually just threw on a new set of them yesterday along with a 14" Coated Ambassador over 14" Snare Side Ambassador on my snare and they sound amazing. I use a Drum Dial tuner to help me equal out the tension around the lugs so everything is even with the resonant heads tuned slightly tighter than the batters. I don't know if you have ever tried the Pinstripe Clears before but if not then you should go with them. They sound amazing, have a great bounce to them, and are also extremely durable. And they will definitely give you the fat wet sound you are looking for due to the thin layer of oil in between the 2 ply's.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Pinstripes do not have oil between the plies. I wish I knew how many times I have had to say this on drum forums. The ONLY drum heads with oil between the plies are the Evans Hydraulic heads. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
Pinstripes do not have oil between the plies. I wish I knew how many times I have had to say this on drum forums. The ONLY drum heads with oil between the plies are the Evans Hydraulic heads. Peace and goodwill.
exactly my thoughts...
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Gold Member

For a full, warm, resonant tone with lots of attack on a maple shell drum the best combo I have ever used is Aquarian studio x over classic clear.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

if you want fat and wet get some clear Aquarian Response 2 over classic clear. or even classic clears themselves are wet. lots of dark slap. or try the Super 2 for a more open sound. either way aquarian is polar opposite of remo so youll be in different territory whatever you choose.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever you get, just order them online. I'll bet good money your closest music store won't have them all in stock ;)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Whatever you get, just order them online. I'll bet good money your closest music store won't have them all in stock ;)
Yeah Bo, thanks for the tip. I figured as much anyway. That's why I'm trying to figure it out now before I actually need them. Where do you recommend as the best online retailer for heads?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Help me decide on new heads for a new sound.

No, I won't!
Spend money on different heads that you may not like and figure it out for yourself like the rest of us have to.
:):):)
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzobilly View Post
So I've been running coated emps over coated ambs forever. I love the sound, especially on my recently acquired classic maples. I just feel like I want to experiment with something different. I figure what I have is round and warm. I want to try fat and wet. So, I'm thinking either a clear G2 or G14 over a clear G1 or possibly resonant glass. I'm looking for some input and or direction. Thanks!!
I run EC2 over G1 reso and they sound wide open ambient with very little need for any dampening. My a quarter moon gel on floor-tom. I am considering the new black chrome heads on tons next, they are apparently very similar to EC2 clears with a hint of warmth.