DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 AM

Default Remo CS Reverse Dot V Evans Power Center Reverse Dot

Can you guys compare these two for me?
Any differences? Pros and cons for both skins? Experiences?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo CS Reverse Dot V Evans Power Center Reverse Dot

The Remo CS utilizes a full circular mylar dot on the underside,you can see the black circle slightly through the coating on the upper surface of the head.

The Evans Power Centre and my favourite Reverse Power Centre utilize a vented mylar dot,
The reverse has the dot on the underside of the head. The Evans dot is white .

The Remo CS head has reduced rebound where the mylar dot is attached. There is also a very noticeable sonic difference between the center sectio. Where the dot is affixed and the outer edges where the dot is not.

The Evans Power Centre has none of the rebound issues or sonic issues the Remo has. The increased flexibilty of the Evans dot allows it to be more uniform with the main head and this allows more resonance and rebound.

Remo's coating is atrocious, very dodgy at best. I have has Remo heads coating flake off within the first rehearsal or gig after they have been put on the drum.

Evans coating is much superior, I have never had any issues with coating on any Evans heads and I havebeen using them for over 10 years. They along with Aquarian both have better coating than Remo.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo CS Reverse Dot V Evans Power Center Reverse Dot

Nice job RickP on the differences.

I haven't had the same dramatic coating issues that RickP has but I do acknowledge and agree that both Evans and Aquarian have coatings that last much longer than Remo.

Having said the above, I have a couple of coated Remo CS Underside dot heads on a couple of snares. The reason being that the sound is different from both the Evans and Aquarian dot heads. I actually buy them because (in some cases) the thicker dot gives a very different sound in the center. They don't work for all drums for me but I do like them sometimes for strictly tonal reasons. Wish the coating was a wee bit more robust but that might also change the general sound of the head.

Also FWIW, I have a slew of different heads on my drums right now from all of the big 3 head Mfr's.

Jim

Jim Martin Music