DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pulse Pro Maple

I found a "Pro" 5-piece maple set made by Pulse at Musicians Friend for only 500 bucks. Anybody got the scoop on these? From what I can tell they are good drums with 2.0mm triple-flanged steel hoops. I went to alibaba dot com and saw that they are made by a Chinese drum maker that just slaps the name Pulse on them for the English speaking customers.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Pulse Pro Maple

If I were you I would take the $500 and buy a used kit of better quailty than a Pulse kit.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeN70 View Post
If I were you I would take the $500 and buy a used kit of better quailty than a Pulse kit.
+10 you should probably stay away from beginner-oriented drum brands. The set may actually sound ok but probably the hardware and overall durability would be bad. I would especially say no if you haven't seen and heard the kit. You could get by getting Yamaha or tamas online without seeing and trying but with a brand like pulse you don't even know what you are getting. Look on Craigslist, local drum shops and other places for a used set.

I would definitely recommend guitar center used. Just check this out.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgea...ort=0&dir=desc
Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Another vote for "shop used". A buddy of mine picked up a Pearl Masters Studio Birch kit, used, from Guitar Center. $550.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I went to alibaba dot com and saw that they are made by a Chinese drum maker that just slaps the name Pulse on them for the English speaking customers.
You will find this is usually the nature with lower end drums. Not always of course, but there is a crapload of these type of kits out there. The type of maple they use is not the same type that the higher end kits use. Definitely look around at some used kits. And if you see one of these Pulse kits on craigslist for $500 used, don't be fooled.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Those are all over my local Craigslist. I would steer away.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masheanhed View Post
You will find this is usually the nature with lower end drums. Not always of course, but there is a crapload of these type of kits out there. The type of maple they use is not the same type that the higher end kits use. Definitely look around at some used kits. And if you see one of these Pulse kits on craigslist for $500 used, don't be fooled.
I know that shopping for a used kit is probably a little better. I was just curious about this kit because it's such a smokin' deal for a maple kit. I've seen this brand attached to the lower end entry level kits, but I was just curious if anybody owns a set of these "high end" drums from that manufacturer. I wasn't aware that the maple they use would be inferior. The reviews are pretty good actually, from what I've read (all 2 of them). But, no haven't heard them though. My instincts are to steer away.

I'm actually building another Vintage Japanese (Pearl factory) Orphan kit (Reuther/Royce).
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I wasn't aware that the maple they use would be inferior. The reviews are pretty good actually, from what I've read (all 2 of them). But, no haven't heard them though. My instincts are to steer away.
I'd be cautious of those reviews. I'd be afraid they were employees of MF!

I don't know if these are inferior but I have read that a lot of these type kits use an "Asian Maple" when they claim to be maple, not North America or whatever some of the high end kits use. Again, I have no proof what these are but I'd do my research.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone can throw the words "pro" and "maple" around like they actually mean something. But do you see any actual pro musicians touring with these "pro" drums? No. Maple for $500 seem too good to be true? Because it is. You'll have nothing left of them in a year except buyer's remorse.

Pass on this, take your $500, and go get a great used kit.