DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Default Master in Jazz Studies

Im auditioning for the masters program in jazz studies at Juilliard, Rutgers U, and Manhattan School of Music. Wanted to see if there where any drummers out there (or anyone out there for that matter) that attended any one of these programs. Any info, good, bad, or indifferent would help. Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Master in Jazz Studies

I did not attend any of these schools but I know they all have really nice programs.....a good friend of mine raves about the program at Rutgers
which surprised me....I guess I never thought of Rutgers that way ....but apparently they have a fantastic arts program
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone68 View Post
Im auditioning for the masters program in jazz studies at Juilliard, Rutgers U, and Manhattan School of Music. Wanted to see if there where any drummers out there (or anyone out there for that matter) that attended any one of these programs. Any info, good, bad, or indifferent would help. Thanks!!
Best of luck on all the auditions. I start College on Monday, a 51 year old freshman. Hope I don't stick out too much but I don't think I will blend in all that well.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
Best of luck on all the auditions. I start College on Monday, a 51 year old freshman. Hope I don't stick out too much but I don't think I will blend in all that well.
I'm not sure if you are going for music or not. Not sure how things are where you are but if you were in my neck of the woods, many of us middle-aged folks back to school for different / new career training so there would be no worry about blending in.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I'm not sure if you are going for music or not. Not sure how things are where you are but if you were in my neck of the woods, many of us middle-aged folks back to school for different / new career training so there would be no worry about blending in.
I am going for music, not sure if I can grab the brass ring of a performance degree but I will give it a shot. Im a
m going back to school because its fun. I retired from the military in August and have the GI bill which will pick up the tab. If I don't use it, it goes away. Keep looking for a downside but can't seem to find one.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
I am going for music, not sure if I can grab the brass ring of a performance degree but I will give it a shot. Im a
m going back to school because its fun. I retired from the military in August and have the GI bill which will pick up the tab. If I don't use it, it goes away. Keep looking for a downside but can't seem to find one.
That's awesome. At 49, and in a day job I despise, I can relate. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

One of the best bass players I've played with was still going to the Manhattan School of Music when we were on the same band a few years ago. He loved it. He's since graduated, and he's working all over New York now, only he's not going many jazz gigs because - bing! -jazz gigs don't pay much.

If I was young and ready to seriously study music, I think that's the school I'd choose, just based on what he told me about it. And the guy can play!