DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Default Give me some truth: Resonant Heads

Hi Guys,

So what do you truthfully think? Does the quality of reso heads make that much difference? I've still got the stock ludwig heads on my Classic Maples. They sound pretty good but I'm wondering if upgrading to higher quality reso heads would make a noticeable difference or not.

Chime in with your thoughts please.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Give me some truth: Resonant Heads

It made a huge difference on my kits. I don't like the Ludwig heads at all.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

YES!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Switch out the kick reso too. DO IT!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM

So far it's anonymous. :)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The Classic Maples come with Ludwig's US made heads, which are generally okay. I haven't noticed a significant difference replacing those resos with my usual Evans G1 clear. But on many of the Asian budget kits with budget heads, there is absolutely a difference, and they should be swapped out. Ludwig's budget kits sport Ludwig heads made by Evans, but they're really not either, they're just a cheap head made in Taiwan or China.

So save the money changing the resos, but definitely invest in new batters. :)

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks Jon. Good advice as always. I did change the batters to G2 clears and those sound great.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

I really like the EC Reso head and I think it would pair nicely with the clear G2. Or you might try something like the Strata 1000 on the bottom if you're looking to bring a little more warmth and midrange into the tom sound.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Strata 1000 will make the CM toms sing! I've mentioned them a few times in other threads, and they're a well kept secret, a nice blend of a G1 coated and clear, but really not either. Evans would do well to bring them out of the obscurity of the "concert" section on their site, and promote them as jazz and vintage rock heads.

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Try replacing one just as a test.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If you are questioning....you eventually will have to try and see, if you're like most. So why not just get it over with? For real, it won't sound worse. It will probably make you feel better, because you know you've done the best you can with your drum.

But just to be sure, before you spend money, try this. Turn your drum upside down, tune the batter like a reso, tune the reso like the batter. If it sounds worse to you, that should provide you with the proof you need to warrant spending some dough on new resos. If the tone is the same or better to your ear, then those heads are fine. It's all about your ear.

My reasoning is if you dislike the Ludwigs as a batter, then you will probably think that as a reso, you could do better too.

You don't have any top quality single ply clear heads in good shape that you can do a test with?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Last week, one of my Pearl snares' reso heads popped. I wasn't aware that my leg was blocking off the pressure port on the shell, causing too much pressure, which caused the reso head to burst. I had a Evans hazy 300 on it and it sounded great. I went out and bought a Remo Hazy. I put it on and I couldn't get it to sound good for the life of me. I went back the next day and grabbed a Evans Hazy 300 ( what I originally had on it ). It now sounds just as good as b4 it popped. So, Yes, absolutely, it does make a massive difference.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I will chime in here. Yes, reso heads make almost as big a difference as the batter heads. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Strata 1000....hmmmm.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

There is nothing like a fresh lively quality reso head to brighten up a drum.
Do like larry said, turn a drum over and see how the reso sounds as a batter.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 AM

Any way you slice it, reso's are vibrating as well. They don't take the physical pounding, but they do wear out .... I do hear a difference with fresh ones.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

There's two different answers pertinant to this thread. As a general rule, I totally agree with the heard. Upgrading to a quality reso head certainly produces better results.

But more specific to your individual question. As Bermuda said, the heads (both batter and reso) on Ludwig CM's are a far cry from the cheap crap that is put on most lower and intermediate level kits. They are head and shoulders above a Remo UT for example, so there is no immediate need to swap them out purely because it is seen as an "upgrade".

That said, I'm not a fan of their overall sound either. I find Ludwig heads a little thin sounding for my tastes and have swapped them out on all my Luddy snares immediately.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 AM

Lots of great comments and suggestions here. I guess the thing I feel my toms are lacking is articulation. I've got a 13" rack and a 16" floor so they're bigger sizes. I use a full moongel on each drum but if I use more than that I feel like I lose too much tone for the sake of definition. Perhaps better reso heads will help with that. The quest goes on...
Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

I find thinner reso heads work the best for me. And I think the answer to your large Tom tone issues may unfortunately still lay in your batter heads. I think u might be impressed with Evans EC2 batters with hazy 300 or 200 resos. Seems to sound best for me on larger toms. But please keep in mind that this is just my personally opinion. I think everyone will agree with me that we all prefer different heads along with different tuning as personal preferences.

Ohh, and the G2's u put on are also great heads. I find that E-rings seem to work better than moon gels on those particular heads. Lower than average tuning also works good with the G2's.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

I like two ply coated batter heads on my kit with 9x13 and 16x16 toms.
I also like the Evans EC Clear Reso on the floor tom.
Thats my liking as of late. I tune just over medium with the reso slightly higher than the batter.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
I think u might be impressed with Evans EC2 batters with hazy 300 or 200 resos. Seems to sound best for me on larger toms.
Snare resos? Interesting choice. What lead you to experiement with that combo on your toms and what sort of sound does it give you when compared to, say a G1 or EC resonant etc?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 PM

I appreciate the suggestions. I like to tune fairly low so I like the thicker batter heads for that reason. I guess I'll have to experiment with some of these reso options to see what aids the most with definition.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Snare resos? Interesting choice. What lead you to experiement with that combo on your toms and what sort of sound does it give you when compared to, say a G1 or EC resonant etc?
I've done this. Lasted all of 30 seconds and took them off. You get more articulation, but the note just dies right out. Even diplomats, with their 7.5 mil film, I thought the notes died out way too fast.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
get more articulation, but the note just dies right out. Even diplomats, with their 7.5 mil film, I thought the notes died out way too fast.
If you are using a coated Ambassador single ply on top and a Diplomat below combined with tight tuning, that head combination works well.
For loose tuning not so good.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe try some coated ones if you want to try something different. As said before, the Ludwig stock CMs aren't that bad, but I've had Coated Ambassadors as reso heads (with Pinstripes on top) for a good while now on my Superstar and they are a dream.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
audiotech

I usually update the heads on the new kits I buy, if I think I need to. This really depends on the heads that come complete with the drums. My Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums came with Evans G2 clear over G1 clear, and they did also come with the Tama logo on the heads. They sounded great, so I didn't change them until the original batters wore out.

My Yamaha kit sounded alright with the Remo Ambassador heads on both tops and bottoms, but at that time I preferred Evans, so I changed them that very same day to G1 coated over G1 clear heads on the toms while they were stripped down.

My DW Classic set of drums came with DW (Remo) coated heads over DW (Remo) coated heads which I loved the sound, so no change was made here for a couple of months.

My Gretsch Renown kit came with Evans G clear something, I can't remember if they were 1 or 2, but the resonant heads were not labeled and were too thin for me to get a more ballsy sound that I liked. I immediately changed the resonant heads to the heavier 10mil Evans G1 clear.

Finally my most recent set of drums, my Ludwig Classic Maple came with Ludwig "medium" heads, I hated them. As the last couple of drums arrived the Ludwig medium heads could not be tuned to match the sonic qualities of the former drums. At this point all but my snare drum's batter, resonant and bass drum resonant heads got changed to Evans G1 coated over G1 clear and then later to G2 coated over the G1clear. This was almost maddening, lol.

So this is my criteria. It all really boils down to their sound. The resonant heads can and will make an appreciable difference in the drums sound. Also great tuning should never be overlooked.

Dennis
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM

So, just to close the loop, I ended up with G1 clears. Boring I know. But they did improve the sound for sure vs. the ludwig heads.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

For the snare side, I love the response of the Evans Genera 200 and 300. I really look for sensitivity, so I go with the 2 mil 200's. Best kept secret at Evans is the Strata 1000 for batter. Closer to natural skin, nice warmth, quick response. Perhaps one of the best jazz heads, or trio/quartet heads going. Also great for concert work, and the standard head at Black Swamp Percussion. Good with brushes too...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjohn View Post
So far it's anonymous. :)
Unanimous? Lol

Just messin with you. But once again, yes, change from the stock heads. I've always had a problem switching out bass reso's though... I WANT the manufacturer logo on the front. So I just leave it.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Hi Kelly, I was joking. Hence the smiley face.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the same issue as you with the bass reso.