DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 AM

Default Downgrade?

I currently play 2011 model Tama Speed Cobras. I have just ordered a crap load of new drum stuff, and with it I got a Gibraltar 9000 series 3 leg direct drive hi-hat stand. I feel like the Speed Cobras are nice, but I want to try something different. I've been considering selling them and buying Gibraltar Intruder direct drive pedals, to try a different kind of drive, and to match the hi-hat footboard. I would also trade these for Iron Cobras any day of the week, but finding a trade like that locally would be rare. What do you guys think/recommend? If I sell the Cobras, I only have a 300 dollar budget for pedals.

Once of the reasons I dislike the pedal is the beaters. The stock ones are silly, and shaped like triangles. I'd like to know what the main difference is between felt, rubber, and wood beaters, as well.

Last edited by Shibby; 12-18-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Downgrade?

Well before I did any trading or selling I'd be trying as many pedals as possible to truly find what you are looking for in one. Direct drive pedals have a feel all their own.

Now if it's just the beater that's bugging you try a new beater on one of your pedals, $10 fix/experiment. Wood/Plastic beaters give more of a click attack, round felt gives an overall round/punch tone, rubber..well not sure never used those. Me personally I prefer the round felt beaters.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

I think it depends on whether it's the aesthetic or the functional that you seek. If it's the look and everything must match, then regardless of how good the pedals are, you will end up changing them (or indeed changing the hihat to suit the pedal).

If it's about performance then you need to try a range of pedals, as konaboy suggests. There is little point in trading out of something to another pedal only to find that doesn't suit either. That's a sure fire route to bankruptcy!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

I've never been into the whole "everything must match " thing.For me it's always been...the "everything must work and sound good " thing.Try different beaters,including the large felt type.Not only do they sound different,but they feel different.

If you are set on a different pedal,try it..before you but it.

Steve B
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
I currently play 2011 model Tama Speed Cobras. I have just ordered a crap load of new drum stuff, and with it I got a Gibraltar 9000 series 3 leg direct drive hi-hat stand. I feel like the Speed Cobras are nice, but I want to try something different. I've been considering selling them and buying Gibraltar Intruder direct drive pedals, to try a different kind of drive, and to match the hi-hat footboard. I would also trade these for Iron Cobras any day of the week, but finding a trade like that locally would be rare. What do you guys think/recommend? If I sell the Cobras, I only have a 300 dollar budget for pedals.

Once of the reasons I dislike the pedal is the beaters. The stock ones are silly, and shaped like triangles. I'd like to know what the main difference is between felt, rubber, and wood beaters, as well.
I have a set of IC's I'd be willing to trade...........PM if you are interested........maybe we can work something out
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM

You may wanna look into the Taye metal works pedal. Looks extremely adjustable and is pretty cheap for what it provides.