headphones - partial noise cancelling for kit soundclarity

kevindrums

Im looking for a solution that will allow me to hear my drums while I play along to cd's. Im using reciever/speakers with my iphone plugged into it currently.

Are there headphones that reduce decibles, but maintain the clarity of high-ends (high-hats, etc) so I can hear the cd's on the head-set AND hear my drums (with clarity), but with the volume reduced (15 - 20 dbs would be fine).

Currently pointing speakers at my kit, but its loud.
In the past Ive used inear plugs - way too loud - and isolation head phones, but my drum sound is muted.

Any suggestions?

try out the vic firth isolation headphones apparently they are quite good but i haven't relay seen them anywhere for a good price but then again i haven't really been looking

I use ex-25 extreme isolation headphones. I play along to songs and i'm able to hear my drums. I would recommend these over the Vic-Firths.

This might be a futile search. Even with normal 'open' headphones, the sound coming in is going to change the drum sound also coming into your head. I think the only thing you can do is what you're already doing: playing along through speakers.

However, I would try this: if you think the music is too loud, why not try a subwoofer and small satellite speaker combination? If the music is boosted through the sub, then the mids and highs of the music can be turned down, but you're still feeling the music played, making for a softer listening environment and you can hear your drums clearer because you're eliminating the frequencies that would interfere with the drums and cymbals (the highs and the mids).

I've played along through speakers for years and prefer it. At one point I even bought a Roland KC-500 keyboard amp which sat next to me, and I boosted the low end so I felt everything, and could basically turn it down.

This is a tactic I've been using which produces glorious results.

Get a pair of in-ear monitor headphones. Anything that will block as much outside noise as possible. Hook this up to a PA of some kind and use a shotgun mic. Pretty much a mic to capture the highs of your drums. Feed this to your headphones. Using a Y splitter, hook up your iPod as well.

Using this method you hear your music and your drums and you can adjust accordingly for volume. Protect your hearing!

Something like Shure's 'SE' series are a good start. I used SE115's for ages (until I wore them out, but I'm going to resolder them). In the meantime I'm using a pair of cheap in-ear headphones with ear defenders over the top. I have mics set up into an audio interface so I can hear my own kit and adjust the backing to the volume of what I hear.

The best solutions are 'proper' isolating earphones or headphones like Shure SE215's or 315's or circumaural designs like the Beydynamic DT770's - alternatively DT100's are a much cheaper alternatively but are rough sounding in comparison to more modern designs. DT100's have been workhorse tracking headphones for many years, but more modern designs are suited better to basic mixing. At some point I'm going to be seriously considering a pair of DT770's or DT880's to augment my AKG K701's that I use for late-night mixing.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the Vic Firth designs. Much better designs from 'proper' headphone companies can be had for only a slightly higher outlay.

Back