Best Hardware Pack for Under $300?

GretschJazzKit

Looking for a quality hardware pack to accompany my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz. I would like something with the following included: a snare drum stand, hi-hat stand, bass drum pedal, straight cymbal stand, and boom cymbal stand. Thanks!

I like the Gibraltar 5600PK, as well as PDP's 800/900 series hardware packs...

The Gibraltar 5-series stands are very nice. All my cymbal stands are Gibraltar 5606. I can't say much about the snare and hihat stands specifically, but Gibraltar makes excellent and affordable hardware.

I would look at the Gibraltar for sure. Gibraltar can be found almost anywhere and one of the great things is that since they push their racks so much, you can buy just pieces of stands. For example if you buy the 5500 or the 6600 series stands, you can later buy the 9600 pro top sections only. Also Sound Percussion (SP) hardware is Guitar Centers Brand, but it is made by gibraltar. Just look at Guitar Centers web page under drum hardware and sort by SP and you will see that it is identical to Gibraltar. What I did personally was buy SP cheap stands, and Gibby 9600 brake tilter top sections and booms, and it works out great.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion,Clamps---Hardware-Drum-Accessories---Parts.gc

to give you an example of the difference between Gibraltar and Sound percussion look below. The only real difference between Gibby and SP is the design of the wing nuts and the label.

Attachments

• 413654.jpg
    413654.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 760
  • 560019.jpg
    560019.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 765
its shinier because its cheaper!

I have Gibraltar 5600 hardware, hi hat stand, snare stand, 3x boom stand, 1x straight stand, and a single pedal, and I like it! I have changed the single pedal by a DW 4000 double pedal, though, but not because I don't like the pedal. It's sturdy, and I haven't had any bad things in the year and a half I have it.

I don't have experience with any other hardware, except Pulse hardware, that came with my first kit, and that's complete crap :)

Bram

to give you an example of the difference between Gibraltar and Sound percussion look below. The only real difference between Gibby and SP is the design of the wing nuts and the label.

Looks are deceiving. You can't see the quality or thickness of the metal.

-Ryan

I have alot of SP gear...and I can say that is exactly the same as Gibby as seen above. It is a quite common marketing practice that is used in all kinds of industry. Make one product stick two different lables on it and sell it to two demographics of people. For example I used to work for a major liquor distributer and I can tell you that many name brand top shelf spirit producers take the product from one barrel or still, and pour that into both glass and plastic bottles and put different lables on them. wam bam!!! see the pics below......Gibraltar vs SP...gibraltars will be shown first...

Attachments

• SP 4.jpg
    SP 4.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 730
  • gibby 4.jpg
    gibby 4.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 729
  • SP 3.jpg
    SP 3.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 728
  • Bibby 3.jpg
    Bibby 3.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 730
  • SP 1.jpg
    SP 1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 738
  • Gibby 1.jpg
    Gibby 1.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 732
and on top of that Gibraltar also makes Dixon Hardware...still exactly the same stuff

Gibraltar Snare Stand

Attachments

• Gibby snare.jpg
    Gibby snare.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 742
Dixon Snare Stand....same thing, different lable

Attachments

• Dixon snare.jpg
    Dixon snare.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 761
I own a Tama RoadPro high hat stand which is very nice and there is a Guitar Center brand of cymbal stands called Sound Percussion that makes a great convertible cymbal stand for about 40.00 bucks. I have three of them and they do well. convertible meaning they can be straight or boom.

Funny you mention the Gibraltar vs SP thing... I have a SP boom cymbal arm+clamp and just got a Gibraltar one today in the mail. Same in every way except for slight luster difference and different wingnuts.

i have mixed feelings about those SP boom stands. i got a couple recently since i started gigging regularly again, and the locking mechanism (the tightener at the top of the bottom section) broke. have owned the stand for less than 5 months.

Yamaha all the way. The 700 series. $324.99 spend the extra $25 bucks. It's worth it. I got rid of my Gibraltar hardware. I gor rid of my Pearl hardware. I got rid of my Tama hardware. I got rid of my DW hardware. I got rid of my Remo hardware. Yamaha....I'll take it to my grave.

Back