Some things I noticed today about different pedals

jondrumming

I was at the drum store today, and I was trying out some pedals, and I had some odd first impressions of each one, and I wanted to know if anyone else kind of agreed with me about these things:

Pearl Demon Drive Double:
This was actually the first pedal I tried, I saw it and just thought WOW! Because a) it is great looking, and b) I didnt expect them to have it in stock. It was set up at a Roland kit, so I sat down and started playing on it; I knew direct drive pedals had a different feel... but the demon drive felt awful! The Iron Cobra Powerglide has the whole offset cam thing, but the demon drive felt like it had the cam waaayy too offset! Which might not make sense, but pretty much the beater sped up way too fast at the end of the stroke, which messed me up a lot.

Gibraltar Intruder Double Chain Single:
I think this pedal is underrated! It's a smooth, solid, sturdy pedal that definitely doesn't have the reputation it deserves.

DW 9000 Single:
LOVE this one. The one they had set up had a felt iron cobra beater on it, that combination is the formula for perfect pedal! The crazy smoothness of the floating rotor on the 9000 mixed with the lightweight iron cobra beater... FANTASTIC!

I was wondering, though, about the DW 9002 double pedal, how do they achieve the floating rotor feel on the slave pedal without the zero-backlash driveshaft? The axle on the slave side isn't floating rotor, it's pretty much standard, so wouldn't the floating rotor effect be lost on the slave pedal?

Just my thoughts :)
Anyone agree/disagree?

I was at the drum store today, and I was trying out some pedals, and I had some odd first impressions of each one, and I wanted to know if anyone else kind of agreed with me about these things:

Pearl Demon Drive Double:
This was actually the first pedal I tried, I saw it and just thought WOW! Because a) it is great looking, and b) I didnt expect them to have it in stock. It was set up at a Roland kit, so I sat down and started playing on it; I knew direct drive pedals had a different feel... but the demon drive felt awful! The Iron Cobra Powerglide has the whole offset cam thing, but the demon drive felt like it had the cam waaayy too offset! Which might not make sense, but pretty much the beater sped up way too fast at the end of the stroke, which messed me up a lot.

Gibraltar Intruder Double Chain Single:
I think this pedal is underrated! It's a smooth, solid, sturdy pedal that definitely doesn't have the reputation it deserves.

DW 9000 Single:
LOVE this one. The one they had set up had a felt iron cobra beater on it, that combination is the formula for perfect pedal! The crazy smoothness of the floating rotor on the 9000 mixed with the lightweight iron cobra beater... FANTASTIC!

I was wondering, though, about the DW 9002 double pedal, how do they achieve the floating rotor feel on the slave pedal without the zero-backlash driveshaft? The axle on the slave side isn't floating rotor, it's pretty much standard, so wouldn't the floating rotor effect be lost on the slave pedal?

Just my thoughts :)
Anyone agree/disagree?

I am surprised you didn't like the demon drive. Did you adjust it? At the shop where I teach we sold 3 within about an hours of stocking them.

I dislike the DW's coz they break so often and they're hard to repair.

I love the Iron cobra but they also have breakage problems.

I am surprised you didn't like the demon drive. Did you adjust it? At the shop where I teach we sold 3 within about an hours of stocking them.

I was surprised too! I'd heard so many great things about the DD... maybe it was just the feel of the rubber kick pad on the Roland, but I didn't feel like I had any control over the pedal, it was like my foot had to keep up with it instead of vice versa.

Question, were the other pedals set up on electronic kits as well? I personally bury the pedal when I play, and on anything hard like an electronic kit, I get a bad feel and I also do like a press roll, totally unintentional.

i had a go on of those demon p-3000d pedals, i wasent a fan it just dident have enough recoil but was really smooth.I just bought a yamaha FP9500C after having a go. its a treat give one a go plus its cheaper than the demon.

I totally love my Iron Cobra with the exception that there are no spikes or velcro to help anchor the kick. My kick spurs are needing a sharpening so some help from the pedal would be much appreciated. Other than that, I've been playing on it for probably 5 years and haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Really? I keep hearing about the DWs breaking but mine are really very reliable.

About the demon drive, probably because they look so cool!

I played on 2 different demon drive set ups at 2 different GCs....

Set up 1:
It was on an e-kit I only had a single pedal and it slightly increased my speed, yet it was not really a noticeable difference and the slide technique was a little easier, but it just had some kind of awkward feeling to me.

Set up 2:
It was on an acoustic kit and I absolutely fell in love with the setting it was on. It had the perfect striking speed and it was incredibly smooth, my favorite part about it was the power. I could feel the momentum when the beater was coming back, normally on my current eliminators (the old ones with the different colored cams) I just don't feel an incredible power for each strike like I did on the demon acoustic set up.

Conclusion:
The demon drive is very versatile, I think anyone can find a setting they like on it weather they love or hate Pearl. The pedal just has so many adjustments that I don't believe you can go through and hate every setting. My first impression was kind of iffy about the pedal, but that second test drive certainly changed my mind and I will definitely pick up a pair when I have the money. I see a lot of people saying that the pedal sucks, well I have something to say to them..... Shut up and go try one out you lazy biased narrow minded poor excuses for drummers, and if you have tried it and didn't like it you probably didn't tweak the settings or like I said you are biased towards other brands.

Extra Commentary:
So ya..... This post probably makes me seem bias towards Pearl, but to be honest.... I have never tried any high end gear out and couldn't find at least a few features that I absolutely love about them weather it be guitar, drums, computers, anything really...... Just get out there and..... Go get em! :D
Happy shopping everyone!

Back