Your Musical New Year's Resolutions

MaryO

Platinum Member
Yep, it's that time of year again. So I'll start off with my resolution:

By the end of 2014 I want to be playing in a band, playing a gig here and there (something like one a month would be nice) AND to be singing lead for a song or two from behind the kit.

I know, not much to ask for but it's doable if I work at it

So.....let's hear yours!

Bet you anything you will, Mary.

Mine is to get the Singapore Slingbacks out of the bloody living room, and for us not to fall flat on our faces (especially me).

Practice a lot more, push myself every day when doing so. Play to many more styles than before.

Brush up on my brush technique.......Would really like to master them.

3 resolutions, in order of increasing difficulty:

Don't buy any more drumming dvd's before having gone through the ones I have.

Diligently do homework and make the best of my lessons.

Either come to an agreement with my other band members on where we're heading musically, or find another band -- not that easy because we're all friends from the same village and if I drop them I might as well say farewell...

Play some festivals.

Get a complete gig set and studio set together.

Buy a Guru snare drum (if I'm lucky, maybe).

Do more pad work on rudiments.

Release our Cds.

Play the set more. I have a neighbor with Muscular Dystrophy or MS, I can never remember. I don't want to bother her if she's resting so I hardly play anymore. But I need to do more soundproofing and play. It's depressing.

Maybe pull the trigger on making drums.

By the end of 2014 I want to be playing in a band, playing a gig here and there (something like one a month would be nice) AND to be singing lead for a song or two from behind the kit.

Exactly the same resolution as you Mary, minus the singing part, I want the potential audience to enjoy themselves :)

Play Carnegie Hall, twice.
Play atop the Great Wall of China.
Play on the Space Shuttle.
Play on an alien space craft and get them up to jam.
They should be able to play OUTRAGEOUS chords with those long fingers.

Larry has set the bar pretty high, but I think I will just stick to breaking 200 bpm with sixteenths on the snare, and finally get the first side of "Moving Pictures: down. I am about 85% there on both counts, but that last 15% is the kicker.

Exactly the same resolution as you Mary, minus the singing part, I want the potential audience to enjoy themselves :)
Henri, I so want to see you in a band! Make that my new year's wish too :)

My resolution? Keep doing what I'm doing, but make a bigger conscious daily effort to spend more quality time with my wonderful long suffering wife.

Oh, forgot to mention Henri, Saturday 28th, playing away in South Wales. So welcome to join us & stay over if you wish - both of you, that is :)

Over the last couple of months I have been trying to get out of my way when drumming - to almost (gently) throw the sticks at the drums with as little of my hand touching the sticks as possible, letting gravity and bounce do more of the work. I'll keep working on that.

I was just thinking about 2014 this morning and what I'd like to hone in on.

A) smoother brush technique

B) more refined concert snare chops with greater dynamic range and an improved sound quality

C) Really picking apart, transcribing and copping the feel of all the Phil Collins playing with Genesis in the 70's. Especially the odd-time complex arrangements.

Play Carnegie Hall, twice.
Play atop the Great Wall of China.
Play on the Space Shuttle.
Play on an alien space craft and get them up to jam.
They should be able to play OUTRAGEOUS chords with those long fingers.

How do you know they have long fingers?

One of my resolutions is to improve my bass drum foot.

-Learn to play a fast(er) Samba

-Go through several comping exercises with my foot.

-Apply this heel up and heel down.

Also. to finally transcribe a couple licks on which I've been procrastinating.

How do you know they have long fingers?

The same way I know they have big grey heads and large dark eyes, of course! :)

I guess I would be amiss if I didn't put down here that one of my goals is to win in Memphis. (my 6 piece band earned a slot in the International Blues Challenge.) It happens in a little over a month from now. Wish me luck!

The same way I know they have big grey heads and large dark eyes, of course! :)

I guess I would be amiss if I didn't put down here that one of my goals is to win in Memphis. (my 6 piece band earned a slot in the International Blues Challenge.) It happens in a little over a month from now. Wish me luck!

Good luck with that Larry for sure.

Back