40 Must-See Historical Photos

Amazing photos. I don't really know why, but photos of war-torn WWII era Europe are particularly fascinating.

The little girl and her doll outside her bombed out home...

Chills!

Here's another pic, borrowed from facebook/Daily Pictures - I think it fits well into the existing collection. (I slightly increased the contrast of that pic.)

"Harley Davidson Police Motorcycle & Mobile Booking Cage, 1920"

Attachments

• police motorcycle.jpg
    police motorcycle.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 621
Just can't get over how peaceful the suicide girl looks.

Expanding the existing collection (source: facebook once more).

*250kg diving suit, 1911* (orig. text in Russian)

Attachments

• 250kg diving suit, 1911.jpg
    250kg diving suit, 1911.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 496
Expanding the existing collection (source: facebook once more).

*250kg diving suit, 1911* (orig. text in Russian)

Amazing photos Arky, great history,Diving suits have come a long way. I had know idea we measured bathing suits.

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

Most interesting pic? That would be hard to say, but the one that is sticking out in my head is the child cage or whatever where you kept your babies outside of the house suspended for some sunlight and fresh air.

The pic of the white man pouring acid in the pool where the black people were swimming was
particularly disturbing. I never cease to be amazed at man's potential for inhumanity.

The pic of the white man pouring acid in the pool where the black people were swimming was
particularly disturbing. I never cease to be amazed at man's potential for inhumanity.

Once you have a reason to discard empathy, it's easy.

Start to believe that "the others" are in every sense beneath you, and sub-human and this sort of behaviour - and far worse - follows. There's a sadly long list.

Once you have a reason to discard empathy, it's easy.

Start to believe that "the others" are in every sense beneath you, and sub-human and this sort of behaviour - and far worse - follows. There's a sadly long list.

The other issue is that, just because a being is "beneath" you, that's no reason to be ruthless and cruel. Don't we love our children and pets? Look at the face of the pool guy. He's an angry man and he's found people he can bully.

But there are so many other powerful pictures ... I used to work in OH&S so the baby cage really caught my eye - reminded me of the window scene in A Fish Called Wanda.

Interesting that you mention that "he's an angry man", ALP.

I did a quick google, just in case this was one of those pics where what is happening is not what the caption says.

And the caption in this case is correct.

But there was some back story. The acid guy's motel was up against the wall. He'd been firebombed by the KKK already and he was - apparently - pushed into doing something to fight desegregation. He was also described as a civic minded guy, involved in local charities and community groups. So he prolly was an angry man. Who can say how much anger was directed at his situation, and how much at the people in the pool?

None of which should be taken as any sort of justification for abhorrent behaviour, but we're right back at the free will discussion!

Several disturbing images for sure. I think the most starkly ironic photo is the image of a nice family home with child on Mom's lap watching the mushroom cloud as if it's a perfectly normal occurrence.

Each of these are pretty powerful.

The one with the boy - "Austrian boy receives new shoes during WWII" - needs to be shown this time of year especially with the gifting season coming. Many kids today expect and anticipate so much that they'd never get excited about something like this unless it was the latest fashionable pair of boots/sneakers/shoes.

Perspective is an amazing thing.

I agree, the sheer delight in that boy's face speaks volumes of the era he lived in.

Back