Musicians Contact

drummingman

Gold Member
I just signed up for musicianscontact.com today. Has anyone here used this site and what do you think of it?

I'm not able to find a way to search for musicians or bands by specific state on the site. I sent them an email asking how to do this. Anyone know how?

Musicians Contact Service has been around a while, and in the past, before networking sites, that was a great place to find players, or be found. I think Al found a player or two this way.

But there are a bunch of online contact sites, and I don't know if their legacy and experience gives them an edge or not.

Bermuda

I used them a long time ago. It's much better than craiglist in that the ads are way more serious.

But I did find back then nearly all the add were for Los Angeles or New York. Which was fine for me, but I don't know if it really does much for anyone not living in either of those two cities.

Musicians Contact Service has been around a while, and in the past, before networking sites, that was a great place to find players, or be found. I think Al found a player or two this way.

But there are a bunch of online contact sites, and I don't know if their legacy and experience gives them an edge or not.

Bermuda

Hey Bermuda, what musician contact sites would you recommend? I've been using craigslist but I've found nothing but flakes there.

DC, Northern Va, and Richmond,Va, have alot of metal musicians. But finding ones that are truly commited and serious is proving to be difficult.

I don't currently use networking sites. Not to sound smug, but I'm sufficiently busy and not seeking new projects. :) I did sign up with DrummerHunter.com (now gone) and got one response and a monthly gig from it. I signed up with a few others years ago, I recall Guitar Center's contact site was among them, and never got a response. I never thought of Craigslist as a viable site to advertise, although I suppose if musicians actually look for other musicians there, it's just as valid as any other.

Regardless of the responses you may get, there's always the issue of how commited the other person is, I don't think that flakes are limited to Craigslist. For people in L.A., Musician's Contact Svc has some credibility. I just don't know if that translates to their online presence.

Bermuda

I have used Bandmix, CL, and a local musicians classified. The band I just joined found me from my local musicians classified. An original project I worked on last winter was through Bandmix. I also had a couple other auditions through BM and CL.

One tip I would give is to change your ad frequently even if superficially. New pics of gigs help too. It helps keep your profile near the top in many ways.

Bandmix is okay. Of course, you can't contact anyone unless you become a paying member. Otherwise you wait to be contacted. But I've met some nice people there, and ultimately the guitarist I record with. And I got a number offers to start bands, etc.

None of the other sites I have joined produced anywhere near the contact levels bandmix has.

I use bandmix, and craigslist. Bandmix is pretty good. If anything it gets you a free site to showcase sound clips/videos/pics of you and your playing - that well worth it for me. I feel more "professional" sharing my bandmix link than a youtube channel link.

Back