Aquarian Hi-Energy

This head is awesome, bullet-proof, and the main snare head I've used for the past 15+ years.

For example, a 14" Hi-Energy: It is a 'clear' head, but has about 13" of power dot on it, plus a normal small power dot! That's right, two layers of "dot" material on the head.

What that means:
1. it's no longer 'clear'.
2. bullet-proof
3. very dry and tight crack

This head is actually very sensitive, though you'd believe otherwise. It is great for everything, except brushes (and you can almost get away with playing brushes on it due to texture of the 'dot' material). Mitigates a lot of ring by the nature of the head's construction (I usually use 1 moon gel on my snares with a HiEnergy).

Really, you cannot beat this head. It will last 3-4x longer than any other head. It has a wide tuning range. You'll probably break the drum before you break a head (I've NEVER broken an Aquarian Hi-Energy, just stretched them out over time).

This head is surprisingly nice sounding for the amount of dot material on it.
It is a great head, and sounds nice on a lot of different snares.
Sounds great on a 402. Still pretty sensitive, and retains that "402 character" without ALL the ring. You can still get a bit of "tonk" out of it playing by off the center.
Would probably work the same on any drum.

This head is surprisingly nice sounding for the amount of dot material on it.
It is a great head, and sounds nice on a lot of different snares.
Sounds great on a 402. Still pretty sensitive, and retains that "402 character" without ALL the ring. You can still get a bit of "tonk" out of it playing by off the center.
Would probably work the same on any drum.

You're correct...and it comes in 12", 13", 14", and 15" varities.

I've used it on:
8"x14" Ludwig Slotted Collesium
3"x13" Ludwig Engraved Black Beauty
5"x14" Ludwig Supra 402
5"x14" ddrum Maple
5"x14" Yamaha Steel
5"x12" Yamaha Birch
5"x12" Pork Pie Maple

It sounds phenomenal on all of those drums! Because of the Hi-Energy, I switched to Aquarian heads on all of my drums. Roy Burns really has a great formula going.

Like the others have said it's a great head. I always use this head or the Remo Emperor X. They are both bullet proof drum heads and offer that dry sound that I love.

Back