Sticks for 12 or 13 yo beginner

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
To make a long story short, a member of our family now - he's either 12 or 13 and in junior high (middle school) - is starting in beginning band (again) in public school as a drummer/percussionist. The poor kid's mom had nothing, so he's never had sticks or a practice pad even. I have an abundance of drumming equipment laying around, so here's our plan. A buddy of mine practically gave me a Ludwig Accent combo pack 2 years ago in exchange for $50. Great kit in good condition. Came with all the hardware. All I need to do it aquire a decent set of cymbals since I gave away the stock cymbals that came with the kit to another buddy of mine for his grandson.

Since he's just starting out, we plan to give him the snare and stand from that kit for this Christmas to learn on until he's ready for the drum set, then give him the rest of the kit for his birthday maybe. Either way, I want him to get the basics of the snare down first and teach him theory and technique, then progress to the kit.

I learned that way and I am so glad my teachers had the foresight to start me off on snare to learn the basics.

Since I'm totally fuzzy on heads right now, what are some decent, inexpensive heads to rehead that kit with?

Also, I learned using B2 sized sticks. Is that still the norm, or are there better beginner sticks to use?

(This will help several ways, by freeing up some much needed space in my house, and by giving a drum set to a needy kid who just might have a chance now. I hear he's a drum freak but doesn't have any money of his own. Momma is a single parent struggling to feed 3 kids, so money is very tight.)

For someone starting out, I recommend either VF SD1 sticks or 2Bs. The 2Bs are a little heavier, and are great chop builders, but will wear you out faster. SD1 sticks are easy to maneuver, and are good for feel. Either is good depending on your philosophy.

I would recommend some clear G1's with clear Hydraulics or G2's on top. What size toms are there?

G1s are great heads..........................I wouldn't even worry about the reso heads...................especially just starting out

Any sticks that are comfortable for him will work.

I started at 9 years old and my first sticks were Ludwig 2b's........................they feel like tree trunks now, but a ton of drummers back in the 70's started with them.

The toms are 12 x 9 or 12 x 10 and 13 x 11, I believe. 16 x 16 kick.

Thank you for the head info. Sounds great!

I think the sticks you're considering are way too large diameter. I'd be looking at getting some 7A's.

Back