Most common drummers ailments and health complaints?

Phildas

Hi folks,

I am doing a little research in what are the most common health complaints suffered by drummers, and what you think is the most demanded upon in the drummer, such as in mind & body.

Thanks for your contributions!

Phildas

Repetitive stress injuries like Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In fact, I see no less than three new threads on this every week, here on the forums. Others that I've seen are Achilles Tendonitis, lower-back pain, foot pain, rotator-cuff problems.

I'd say a lack of patience (over working a muscle or a type of stroke) and bad technique (blisters, cramps, back issues, etc.) are the biggest ailments. Those are generally what lead to injuries.

Tinnitus first, daylight second. Blisters, yes, but they're just a bummer on the night before they turn to calluses.

Zambizzi, I never had RSI problems with drumming. I quit learning keyboards in the band and went back to drumming because of my RSI (computer-based work for many years). Drimming was easier on my hands, tho I had some pain when I was young and uncivilised.

Yes to back and knees.

And let's not forget damage caused by over-indulgence and general craziness ...

Last edited:
Repetitive stress injuries like Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In fact, I see no less than three new threads on this every week, here on the forums. .

Agreed.

Blisters may be more prevalent, but they heal themselves up pretty quickly.

Tinnitus first, daylight second. Blisters, yes, but they're just a bummer on the night before they turn to calluses.

Zambizzi, I never had RSI problems with drumming. I quit learning keyboards in the band and went back to drumming because of my RSI (computer-based work for many years). Drimming was easier on my hands, tho I had some pain when I was young and uncivilised.

Yes to back and knees.

And let's not forget damage caused by over-indulgence and general craziness ...

I dunno Polly - I not only see new threads on this nearly everyday, but I went through it myself. I've been playing for just under 3 years and I developed seriously terrible tendonitis after my first year of playing. I took lessons from the start from a cat who's played for nearly 40 yrs. (and has wonderful technique) - he never noticed a problem.

I wasn't particularly uncivilized either. ;) BUT...I was practicing 3-4 hrs. every night from the beginning.

I do type all day at work (software engineer) so I'm sure that plays a part, somehow. But in 11 yrs. on the job I never had so much as a hint of pain from using a computer.

I've got tinnitus in both ears...tendinitis ...both forearms. The tendinitis is from typing though. the drumming doesn't actually seem to bother it too much.

I have some weird nerve damage in my fingers from wacking my fingers of rims though...

I've played set for 38 years. I've had back problems off and on, but maybe it came from hauling PA speakers and other heavy equipment of my bandmates back when I was young. To any drummers that plan on playing for a long time I would advise they "watch their back"-(so to speak). in other words, be careful how you lift equipment (be extra careful after the gig when you are physically tired) and use good posture when you play.
Also, I started playing in grade school and learned traditional grip. After about 28 years of playing with this grip, I developed painful arthritis in the joint where the thumb and first finger meet. I considered hand surgery but after discussing this with the surgeon found out it would take weeks and weeks of physical therapy. I discovered that if I played matched grip, it wasn't painful, so I had to switch my grip. My technique is not as good as it was with traditional but it's pretty close.

Well I didn’t hear anyone else say they have experienced this problem, but before I started playing, I had a nice round full butt. And the women loved it, now I have a flat butt? Just a thought.

have any trad grip drummers had pains in your left side?
I think i have pulled a muscle of something because i sort of lean down to the left when i play. I was jamming with my band for 4hours yeaterday, woke up this morning in quite some pain.....some snare adjustments to be made for sure!

i used to get blisters when i was a kid, not anymore. you only get blisters if you grip the sticks to tightly imo. tendonitis is a real nasty problem though - luckily i fixed it before it became the end of the world. also like boone said, your back can be a problem too (no more slouching!).

I Have a serious foot prob,with my kick drum foot.Arthritis in the foot big time.I put a sleave over my foot then slip my sock on and a nice light pair of sneaks.Also after a show,the next day ,my neck is really sore from all the grooving.......

I started using the New Grip wrist supports over a year ago and have noticed a great improvement as far as energy,less tendonitis and soreness in my hands. For under $20 these are like gold!!

Mike

Yeah, i'm with Polly here, I have RSI (i'm only 16!) from computer based work, and drumming in fact seems to help cure my RSI rather than make it worse.

I must say i'm suprised with the number of people who have RSI, I thought it was quite rare.

Ah, and I also have tinnitus, which tends to range from mild to moderate, however after suffering from it for about a year you pretty much get used to it.

Pretty good going for 16 eh?

Back