How to develop playing with intention

Numberless

Platinum Member
Hey guys, I'm here with a couple of open questions without clear answers, I'm hoping to gather some thoughts and gain some insight into this topic which is one I've been thinking on for a while.

First, what is intention to you? I'm talking about giving meaning to the things you play. This is not necessarily a matter of complexity as a simple groove can say volumes.

Second, how do you develop it? Is it something that just comes from experience? Or can you be aware of it and can you practice it?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

I'd say it begins with bringing your best performance, every time, as a personal goal, outside of circumstances.
For me it also has to do with existing and performing in the moment, not reproducing a previous moment of inspiration (not always easy). Also not being distracted by having a mind that is elsewhere, thinking about something else.
It's a continuum that is not always perfect, but it can be developed. Living in the moment, for example, is something that can be practiced.

It really comes from experience: playing different styles with different people in different environments. It comes from listening to and learning from the people you play with. And you have to understand and accept that a lot of drumming is truly just time-keeping with a little flavor added, and be willing to play those parts without question or having to be told.

Intention can also be how you play. It's like the difference between being aggressive, and assertive. It's more than the just playing the right parts, it's how you hit the drum, and where the beats are placed - are you relaxed, or energetic? - and maintaining consistent volumes for effective dynamics and drive.

But it's all developed through experience, and discovering and delivering what people want to hear from you.

Bermuda

Intention to me is knowing EXACTLY what you want to express, no ambiguity. There's a crystal clear fully formed idea. That clear idea could be keeping time for 32 bars. Or not.

Then it requires playing it with total confidence to complete the deal. The drummer is conveying their attitude to the piece. That takes ideas, confidence, experience, execution....

How do you develop it?

First, the ideas have to be there. That comes from within, I have no suggestions there. No ideas, no where to use intention... is how I see it. So the strength of your ideas is where the good and bad live.

The rest is confident execution.

Intention is nothing without the ideas, so I'd say the free flow of ideas are King. Without them, intention is nothing. Ideas are the meat and potatoes of drumming.

Knowing what to play and what not to play helps too. That comes with experience.

Say you have a clear idea, and you execute it well. But maybe it stepped on someone else, or maybe it was the "wrong" choice of idea for that spot. That's where the lessons of experience are learned.

How do you develop it?

First, the ideas have to be there. That comes from within, I have no suggestions there.

Easy! Just imagine what a really good musician would do in the same circumstance.... Then play it! ;-)

Peace, Love, and Goodwill

Practice to develop accuracy and consistency. Then learn to leave space; more than you think is enough. Then when you do play something, don't second guess it.

I think intention can be developed with attention span...and learning when to allow it to rest a moment vrs when to push through paying attention to the details you want to shine....all while being relaxed and in the moment.

Not a mean task and a mark of masters.

First, what is intention to you? I'm talking about giving meaning to the things you play. This is not necessarily a matter of complexity as a simple groove can say volumes.

That's too deep for me. I just hit the drums, in time.

I think drums are like a NASCAR pit crew. < That's as deep as I get :)

I posted this in another thread, but it had little traction. This was a very influential read for me and made me reflect on exactly what I was doing. the great Andy Newmark on playing with intention and conviction.

Posted - 18/05/2014 : 11:24:28 Show Profile

I sat 5 feet away from Jim Gordon, in the drum booth at Trident
Studios in London, as he recorded Carly Simon’s You’re So Vain in 1972. I
was Carly’s road drummer and played on a few tracks on her No Secrets
album, however I wasn’t cutting it when we recorded You’re So Vain.

So
Richard Perry, the producer of that album brought in the heavyweights.
Jim Gordon, Klaus Voorman, and Nicky Hopkins to record You’re So Vain.

Carly’s road band, which included me, was sidelined for half the tracks
on that album, except for Jimmy Ryan who played on everything and played
that great guitar solo on “You’re So Vain”. Anyhow, I was totally cool
with Richard Perry’s decision to bring Jim Gordon in.

I was in London
for the duration of that album, as road bands often were back then, on
call at any time. I saw this as an opportunity to watch Jim up close. I
had been listening to Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner ever since Mad Dogs and
Englishmen. I asked Jim if he would mind if I sat in the drum booth and
watched him play. He was totally cool with that. So I watched Jim do 40
takes (Richard Perry was famous for doing a lot of takes) of You’re So
Vain.

You see, back then the live performance in the studio had to
contain all the magic in the basic backing track. There was no fixing it
or replacing parts after the track was recorded. You could repair
little things but the vibe and groove had to be all there in the
performance. Perry pushed players right to their limit. I liked his
style. He had a vision and wasn’t going to stop till he got it out of
the musicians. He made great bloody records that all stand up today
under scrutiny. He always used the best players on his records. As a
player, working for Richard Perry was a step up the ladder in session
world. It meant something. Anyhow, I watched Jim like a hawk for 4 or 5
hours, playing that song over and over again.

It’s one thing to hear a
player on a recording but to see a player playing live is a whole
different ball game. Body language reveals so much about where a drummer
is coming from. Seeing Jim play up that close, and fine tuning his drum
part, was like getting intravenous Jim Gordon…his DNA being injected
into mine. And I got it, big time.

I saw what he had and what I didn’t
have. But not for long. I really understood where his notes were coming
from and went away from that session knowing what I had to do to improve
my act. Jim never played a rim shot on 40 takes of You’re So Vain.

He
hit the middle of the snare drum so hard that the head was completely
caved in, in the middle. It was a 6 inch crater in a perfect circle. He
hit the exact same spot every time he hit the snare drum. That means all
his backbeats sounded as identical as humanly possible. Engineers love
consistency from players. I was suffering from total rim shot
dependency, playing tight, funky and snappy, New York style, like
Bernard Purdie. I am a New Yorker.

Jim had that West Coast lazy thing
going on. His notes seem to have length. They breathed. Legato drumming I
call it. There was all this air around each of his notes. And his
groove was so relaxed and secure and comfortable. It was like sitting in
a giant arm chair that fit perfect. He made all the other players sound
amazing right from Take One. And he made the recording sound like a
real hit record right from Take One. I was blown away.

The tom tom fills
were like thunder. I still copy him doing that today and think about
him in that room every time I do it. I put my left hand on the high tom
and my right hand on the floor tom and play straight 8th notes (both
hands in unison) that crescendo into a chorus. Just like You’re So Vain.

His drumming was intelligent and impeccable on that record. There was
no click track either and Richard Perry was very demanding when it came
to tempo. (By the way, click tracks have ruined pop music today). Don’t
get me started.

That’s something else I had to improve on. Playing time.
I’m still working on that. Jim nailed that track at least 40 times and
every take on the drums was brilliant and useable as a final drum track.
However Richard Perry wanted to hand pick where Jim played certain
fills and all the other cats too. So that’s where a studio musician’s
discipline comes into play. You have to play the same track for hours
and maintain the feeling and learn every note in your part till it’s
written in your DNA.

Then on top of that, you have to take instructions
after each take from the Producer telling you exactly what to amend or
delete in your part. It’s a lot of mental work going on. Not all players
are cut out for this kind of disciplined playing, and designing a part.
That’s what great records are. Great parts. Jim was like a computer. He
did everything Richard Perry asked of him and still kept all the other
stuff going in his part, take after take after take. And he hit the
drums so damn hard. His snare drum was monstrous and it wasn’t even a
rim shot. I was stunned at the power in all his notes.

He saw that whole
drum part in his head as if it was written on paper and handed to him.
And take after take, for maybe 4 or 5 hours with breaks, he played it
spot on every time. I got it…big time. Thank God I was replaced by Jim
that day. What I got from that experience took my playing to another
level completely. I put funky drumming on the back burner after watching
Jim and started trying to make my notes real long, relaxed, with lots
of air around them, giving each note it’s full sustain value, and even
tuning my drums so that the notes would sustain for their full value.
And every note was thought out.

That’s what Jim did. He didn’t play any
throw away notes. Not one!! Not even an unintended grace note on the
snare drum. That’s what making records is all about. You have to own and
believe in every note you play. Every 8th note on your high hat has
meaning and character and tells a story. You can’t just be playing
mindless time with a back beat. Drummers who do that sound bored and
uninvolved.

A drummer has to be involved in every note and put life into
each one. This is what Jim did. I know this for sure. It’s a subtle
thing but it makes all the difference in a player. Discipline,
restraint, and conviction in every note. That’s when real music starts
to happen. Can’t we all start a movement to get him out. Sounds like
someone should talk to him. Like me. On the other hand, maybe he wants
to be exactly where he is. I respect that too. Returning to “real life”
after this many years might be too overwhelming. I can relate to that.
By the way, my birthday is 14 July, the same day as Jim Gordon’s
birthday.

Hey guys, I'm here with a couple of open questions without clear answers, I'm hoping to gather some thoughts and gain some insight into this topic which is one I've been thinking on for a while.

Second, how do you develop it? Is it something that just comes from experience? Or can you be aware of it and can you practice it?

if you play in a band, or have a regular rehearsal with other musicians, pick a song out of your set and only play a one or two-bar beat for the entire track, with no crashes or fills

if the opportunity arises to do this in front of an audience, observe/feel their reaction

Thank you Brian for that wonderful story. Told very selflessly by Andy, you gotta love that too.

Intention to me is knowing EXACTLY what you want to express, no ambiguity. There's a crystal clear fully formed idea. That clear idea could be keeping time for 32 bars. Or not.

Yeah. I was going to come in here specifically to suggest using transcription and pretranscription (aka writing parts) to develop this. You don't play this without knowing exactly what you're going to play. Reading transcriptions can also be a fun thing to do – Orbin has a nonstandard notation style but there's plenty of stuff out there. You can, of course, transcribe something yourself and try playing it note for note.

It all depends on you, how sensitive you are. How developed is your ability to know if its your feelings, or theirs, especially in a musical situation?

If Im singing a song and another band member is running lyrics thru their head in unison, I feel it and have to concentrate harder, up my intention. If were doing a song and a band member isn't into it (doesn't care for the song etc) I feel that too. It only takes one person to lower the vibe on stage. So, the degree of intention for me is dependent on others as well.

Others can easily affect your intention is what Im getting at. Are the best drummers per say the most sensitive ones? I'd say the sensitive drummers have to work harder.

Last edited:
I've heard quite a bit of your playing and I would argue that you already know the answers to these questions

William is a beast folks

Thanks a ton Tony! I've started working on a clinic/workshop to present at my uni next semester and this is one of the topics I want to adress so I thought it'd be nice to get some different points of view. I do think the answers to these question heavily revolve around really listening to the music more than anything else.

Loving all the answers, Brian wow, that's an amazing story, thanks for sharing!!!

Listening to the rest of the band and going with it, rather than just playing your practiced parts. I have played my set parts perfectly quite a few times, but nothing beats the gig where the band is "On it" and the push and pull brings something else out of me. It may not be technically spot on but It feels and sounds so much better. And its more musical than mathematical.

Another way to read this question is if a drummer has intention, a reason why must have been already processed beforehand.

Intention is the next step before execution. The deciding that yes you are going to do it. Something like that, I'm just postulating.

Intention has basis, right? I mean you don't just jump right to intention. There's stuff leading up to that, right?

I remember reading something Cindy Blackwell-Santana said about Tony Williams. I think I recall her saying that Tony had a definite reason for playing every note he did. I would think all the greats do.

The reason WHY a drummer plays something is the creamy chocolatey fudge center of this topic that is the most interesting to me.

Back