DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 PM

Default 8 inch tom help please?

Hello, I just bought a Tama Starclassic Performer Birch/Bubinga in Crimson Red Sparkle

The sizes are:

18x22 Kick Drum
14x16 Floor Tom
9x12 Mounted Tom
8x10 Mounted Tom
7x8 Mounted Tom

They came stock with Evans Genera G2 Heads.

The 8 inch tom, obviously being small I thought would have meant a high pitched tom sound, the pitch of my 8 inch tom seems to lose its bouncy tone when I start getting higher to what I thought the pitch should be, and it starts becoming tight and the ringy reso head starts to get louder. Does this have something to do with the heads? How can I get the tom to be much higher and still have that bouncy tom sound?

Also, is it normal for the drum to sound like a tom when facing the batter head but when facing the reso head it sounds like a timpani? cuz since people will mostly be on the side of the reso head they will be hearing a timpani sound, and I really want that bouncy high pitched tom sound on this tom...

In short I'm talking about that really out of tune tight reso head sound. It just seems like the tom loses its tone and bouncy sound when I try to increase it's pitch, so I have to keep it around the same pitch as my 10 inch tom... I looked around on YouTube for people with 8 inch toms and they are a much higher pitch than mine with the bouncy ''bom'' sound that I am after.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 AM

Default Re: 8 inch tom help please?

Check out my thread on tuning my Sonors. Everything you are saying sounds normal to me.

You think the 8" needs to be tuned up, but it really doesn't. Its just easier to get it sounding better (consistent) at higher tensions.

Weckl used to tune his just above the point of distortion, but I bet he has them a bit higher these days. Why not get both heads the same tension, as low / loose as possible and then tune up from there until it starts to open up?
Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Tom View Post
Check out my thread on tuning my Sonors. Everything you are saying sounds normal to me.

You think the 8" needs to be tuned up, but it really doesn't. Its just easier to get it sounding better (consistent) at higher tensions.

Weckl used to tune his just above the point of distortion, but I bet he has them a bit higher these days. Why not get both heads the same tension, as low / loose as possible and then tune up from there until it starts to open up?
I can get it to sound awesome man, but it's pitch matches a frikkin 10 inch tom for that... And its really setting me off how YouTube videos all have a nice high pitched sounding 8 inch tom, even on kits that are not high end like my starclassic they still get higher and nice, is it heads?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Post a little video clip so we can hear your issue. The sound the audience hears is the resolved sound, not a specific head, unless the tom is close mic'd.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Post a little video clip so we can hear your issue. The sound the audience hears is the resolved sound, not a specific head, unless the tom is close mic'd.
I can't post a video at the moment. All I'm trying to say is that the tom sounds awesome but I thought that a 7 by 8 inch tom would go higher without it getting too tight and losing tone. It's nearly the same pitch as my 10 inch tom so I am confused. As for the mic thing, not all shows have mic'd drums so what about then?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

A G2 might be too thick for the drum to sing well. Back when I had an 8" tom I wouldn't use anything thicker than a G1 or else it sounded clunky.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Try a G1, and tighten the bottom head a bit to get the projection. Then tension the top to get the feel/sound you want. Don't feel like you "have to" get each rod exactly the same. Just go for the feel and pitch you want on the 8, & tweak the 10 from there.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 AM

My Ddrum kit mounted toms are 8", 10", & 12", all 7" deep. I run EC2's on the top and G2's on the bottom. The tops and bottom are tightened just pack wrinkle. This gives a good amount of reverb and a nice deep sound on all including the 8".
Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Silver Member

I have 10 mil single ply reso and 12mil single ply batter on my 8" tom, reso tuned roughly F# and batter head just slightly lower.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 PM

When I play with an 8" it is tuned higher than my 10". They both are tuned to the same head tension but that equates to a higher pitch. It never loses anything and I keep it high for Latin and Fusion work. Otherwise, it doesn't get used.