DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM
jaysticks jaysticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 57
Default Sonor quality control problems!

Anyone else had quality control issues with Sonor recently?I bought a prolite six months ago that wasn't up to scratch (badly chromed lugs, metal wasn't great quality, wood filler in bass drum shell etc).
A friend recently purchased a Benny Greb signature snare and has just discovered the shell is warped!Two separate cases of poor quality control, is so called German engineering not as prestigious as it was once considered, discuss!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

You're describing problems that are typical to most larger drum companies. It happens to smaller ones too, but the variation between good & bad is usually greater from company to company.

Through our finishing shop recently, I've seen two examples of shocking quality/workmanship in top of the range lines from a major manufacturer (not Sonor). The quality was so bad, that someone couldn't fail to notice the mistakes/poor materials, yet the product still went out of the door.

Sending out a ply shell that's warped is actually fairly difficult to achieve. The production process for ply shells is so simple, they're normally pretty much bombproof. A solid shell form, I could understand more, but of course, it still shouldn't pass inspection.

As for filler in the bass drum, someone within Sonor has taken the decision that that's acceptable. I understand how things get missed in a volume production environment sometimes, but deliberate decisions allowing sub standard work to go out without customer consultation, is another matter. It take big balls & a real desire not to compromise to scrap potentially expensive shells. Commercial pressures are often high, & a call has to be made in one direction or another. Ultimately, it's how the company responds to faults in workmanship/poor quality materials that really matters. Screwups can happen to anyone, & sometimes external factors degrade a product outside of the manufacturers control, no matter how good their intensions are.

In the industry in General, I'm not aware of any poor quality trend that applies to Sonor more than any other company. I am seeing increasing numbers of examples of poor work from another manufacturer though, & that's very disappointing. I guess companies have cycles & maybe the odd poor quality employee. It happens :(
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Just to offset this a little bit, purely for statistics - so that's 2 cases of quality control issues. And how many happy Sonor users are there? Ok, admittedly, I know of a few more cases on this forum where there were issues with Sonor stuff. But as Andy said - most important of all will be the way the Sonor staff will handle all this.

I for myself have gradually let go of the attitude that the gear I use would have to be 100%, and we're talking cosmetics here (except for the warped shell). Gradually this attitude has also spread across my guitars. Maybe that's because I've started participating in bands and once I did, I learned that there will be some wear on whatever is getting used and that this has not the slightest effect on the sonic output. But I digress.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,972
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Can you post some pictures of the bad chrome and wood filler?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,059
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

I had a bit of filler in my Ascent 16" tom, other than that I have had spectacular success with all my Sonor purchases including a 7-pc Q2 set, multiple snares (Greb/Harrison 135/Protean) and my 7-pc Ascent kit. I chalk up the filler as a necessary evil due to the nature of wood grain.

F
__________________
Sonor SQ2/S Classix/Ascent
Paiste/UFiP/Evans/Vater/Pearl
Porter & Davies
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,372
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysticks View Post
Anyone else had quality control issues with Sonor recently?I bought a prolite six months ago that wasn't up to scratch (badly chromed lugs, metal wasn't great quality, wood filler in bass drum shell etc).
A friend recently purchased a Benny Greb signature snare and has just discovered the shell is warped!Two separate cases of poor quality control, is so called German engineering not as prestigious as it was once considered, discuss!
Generally Sonor have a good track record. I'd venture to say their record is amongst the best in mass-produced drums. It's disappointing that it has happened to you and to your friend. I would still buy Sonor based on the small number of issues I've heard about (compared to, say Ludwig or DDrum) but of course it's never good to hear that QC has failed. Especially from a company with such a good reputation.

As long as Sonor stand behind their product and do what they should, then hopefully the issues can be resolved quickly.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM
jbonzo1's Avatar
jbonzo1 jbonzo1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 885
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysticks View Post
Anyone else had quality control issues with Sonor recently?I bought a prolite six months ago that wasn't up to scratch (badly chromed lugs, metal wasn't great quality, wood filler in bass drum shell etc).
A friend recently purchased a Benny Greb signature snare and has just discovered the shell is warped!Two separate cases of poor quality control, is so called German engineering not as prestigious as it was once considered, discuss!
It's not German engineering, it's German execution!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 584
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You're describing problems that are typical to most larger drum companies. It happens to smaller ones too, but the variation between good & bad is usually greater from company to company.

Through our finishing shop recently, I've seen two examples of shocking quality/workmanship in top of the range lines from a major manufacturer (not Sonor). The quality was so bad, that someone couldn't fail to notice the mistakes/poor materials, yet the product still went out of the door.

Sending out a ply shell that's warped is actually fairly difficult to achieve. The production process for ply shells is so simple, they're normally pretty much bombproof. A solid shell form, I could understand more, but of course, it still shouldn't pass inspection.

As for filler in the bass drum, someone within Sonor has taken the decision that that's acceptable. I understand how things get missed in a volume production environment sometimes, but deliberate decisions allowing sub standard work to go out without customer consultation, is another matter. It take big balls & a real desire not to compromise to scrap potentially expensive shells. Commercial pressures are often high, & a call has to be made in one direction or another. Ultimately, it's how the company responds to faults in workmanship/poor quality materials that really matters. Screwups can happen to anyone, & sometimes external factors degrade a product outside of the manufacturers control, no matter how good their intensions are.

In the industry in General, I'm not aware of any poor quality trend that applies to Sonor more than any other company. I am seeing increasing numbers of examples of poor work from another manufacturer though, & that's very disappointing. I guess companies have cycles & maybe the odd poor quality employee. It happens :(
Isn't filler pretty typical for the finishing process to get the paint as smooth as possible? It is in automotive finishing at least
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,059
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Isn't filler pretty typical for the finishing process to get the paint as smooth as possible? It is in automotive finishing at least
filler is typically used on the bearing edges where there are gaps in the ply, which is how you notice it.

F
__________________
Sonor SQ2/S Classix/Ascent
Paiste/UFiP/Evans/Vater/Pearl
Porter & Davies
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 AM
ncc's Avatar
ncc ncc is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sacramento, California USA
Posts: 522
Default Re: Sonor quality control problems!

my (German made) ProLites are literally perfect, including the snare.

The Chinese made Players kit, not so much. On the Chinese stuff, no issues on the chrome or metal, but the wraps are cut short (width wise), the eyelets don't go all the way through the wood (very strange), and the wraps were actually not pressed on the shells at the joint. The only quality issue, as the Bass Drum hoops are metal and hollow, and one had something inside of it. Sam Ash is replacing the hoop though.

Of course one is $4500 US and the other is $450US so..... ;-)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com