DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 AM

Default Drum Store in Boston (or somewhere for second hand cymbals)

Hi all, I've been in Boston for around 8 months now and am still borrowing a ride and snare from my university for gigs due to a lack of knowing where to purchase these. I've bought the rest of a kit but I didn't want to just rush out and buy any old ride and snare. Amazingly I haven't been able to find any drum stores in central Boston - all the ones I can find are far out of town and you need a car to get there.

I'm specifically looking for a second hand ride as opposed to a new one, i.e. one that's already broken in and gathered some dirt. Back home I'd usually use Zildjians; K custom, K custom dark, and K custom dry ride for example, but I'm really tempted to switch over to Paiste. I need something quite dark and dry, without lots of wash, where you can get a decent swing articulation and play at nice quiet volumes without getting drowned in sound. The snare I'm not so fussy about.

Can anyone please recommend somewhere that is within reach on public transport, where I'd get to try out a range of products before buying? Or if anyone has any second hand items that fit the above criteria for sale please give me a shout.

Thanks a lot,
Caroline
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Drum Store in Boston (or somewhere for second hand cymbals)

I would like to help you but don't know Boston. I have a question for you. Are you right or left handed, or just good from both sides. I visited your website and found a few tunes and just wondered.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Caz,

Can't help you with your search for a shop but if you're interested in Paiste rides I would recommend a 'Dark Dry Mk. 1' ride if you can find one. I've only ever seen two. I owned one for around five years (I recently traded it for a 21" Agop) and another was owned by a Jazz drummer I met recently. They are quite rare but they are (as the name suggests) dry, articulate but thin enough to speak well at low volume. It was in the Signature series and has been discontinued.

My one sounded a lot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdzsk0F4lTQ

Mine was drier and smaller. It's hard to actually pin down what the cymbal was because Paiste have made a few different cymbals called 'Dark Dry Ride' - as part of the signature line, the new signature line and also the dark energy series. I believe that mine was in the signature line. It was a really great cymbal and I only traded it because I wanted something with a lower pitch and more wash.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 AM

I live in Boston; I know your pain.

There is no drum store in central Boston. The only true drum store that is even remotely accessible is 24/7 Drums in Winchester, which is right at the station along the Lowell commuter rail line. That's Sergio Belotti's store and he keeps it stocked with a pretty cool selection of unlikely models - it's the only place I've seen all sizes of Signature splashes at once.

However, if you don't want to make the trip, I work at the Guitar Center (gasp!) on Mass Ave, across the street from Berklee. We have a decent selection of Agops (the only GC to carry them) and other jazzy cymbals, being across from Berklee. You know, gotta rep my own livelihood...

Sounds like a Dark Dry Ride Mk1 is right up your alley. I played one at a jam a week or so ago and it was great. Like Bacterium said, they're quite rare. You might also want to check out the K Custom Light Dry Ride. Or maybe a Left Side Ride without rivets - I heard a 22 on New Years Eve without the rivets and was blown away.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would like to help you but don't know Boston. I have a question for you. Are you right or left handed, or just good from both sides. I visited your website and found a few tunes and just wondered.
Took a minute, but in the "left handed" videos the "Hartke" on the bass cabinet is written backwards. Must be from a mirror or somehow the camera reverses things. Some phone cameras do that on the front side camera.

Great playing though. Even though she's mainly jazz, she's got a handle on other stuff too.

I would imagine that around Berklee there would tons of folks selling stuff. If for nothing else but to pay the rent or the next quarters tuition.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM

+1 on Sergio and 247Drums. It's easy right on the commuter line. If you email (address on the web site), Sergio responds quickly, and maybe he can bring things in to his office at Berklee.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's quite sad that there aren't any drum shops left in central Boston - I've heard of a few that have closed down recently whilst searching. I've been in a similar position before and ended up buying online, but am trying really hard not to get forced into that again as it's such a risk when you can't try out and compare cymbals in person before buying. I'll definitely get in touch with Sergio, thanks for the recommendation and the link.

The MK1 sounds great - really dry, if I was to pick up one of those I'd probably need to buy another brighter cymbal too to switch between... uh oh :)

Quote:
I would imagine that around Berklee there would tons of folks selling stuff. If for nothing else but to pay the rent or the next quarters tuition.
This is kind of true actually, there are often posters around for second hand gear but I want the *perfect* ride cymbal this time and ideally want a situation where I can try out a few potentials at the same time to compare... I'd feel bad asking people to bring their cymbals in and then being really picky and potentially turning it down. It might actually pay off taking a trip to New York on the quest to find some decent choice.

Gruntersdad, I'm right handed - it's just the camera that switched things around on a couple of the videos... well spotted Aeolian!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Have you checked out Steve Maxwell's inventory in NY?

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/

GJS
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I see the Hartke now. thanks for the answer. And good luck in your search.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 AM

You could always get a Zip car and come down to Boston Drum Center in Acton. I teach there and have seen plenty of Berklee kids do that. Get a friend or two to go with you to split the transportation cost. Another option is that Sean the owner has driven people to and from the train station in Acton. Of course that requires planning before hand. Good luck on your quest.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

dwsabianguy has the best solution and I definitely have to get to 24/7 Drums in Winchester. Another alternative is The Drum Shop North Shore on 457 Rantoul St. in Beverly. It's off the Newburyport/Rockport commuter line, 35 minutes from North Station to Beverly Depot. It's less than 3/4 mile up Rantoul St. to the shop. https://www.facebook.com/TheDrumShopNS. He has quite a bit of inventory. You should give him a call to see what used choices he has and prices. He also ships.

Unfortunately, there used to be so many places to go: E.U. Wurlitzers, Jack's*, Daddy's, Mars in Sommerville, Lasalle music in Watertown. None of which will help you now!

-John

*Oops- I stand corrected. The MBTA should have a commuter line open to Hyannis by Memorial Day. (This is where other Jack's Drum Shop is).

Last edited by JohnW; 01-21-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Possible options to shop
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Pawn shops, i have scored so many great deals in pawn shops.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 AM

I just had to share this... So after all the researching to find places to buy a snare and ride, today I was talking to someone who just happened to be throwing out a Ludwig snare drum. It's missing the snare wires and a lug and looks an absolute mess (the chrome is really chipped away) but all the mechanics work perfectly so he gave me it for free to take away. It's stamped from 1967, and from what I can see online it looks like a Supraphonic or Acrolite (I can't see what the difference between these models are). So I've ordered some spare tension rods and snare wires from ebay to do it up and will stick a new head on it - and that's that sorted! I'm still on the lookout for a really good snare (I'm very tempted by a Gretsch maple 14x5), but that takes off some of the pressure to rush into getting one immediately.

As for the stores, I've emailed Sergio and am going to check out 247 for cymbals at the weekend, so hopefully there'll be something just right in stock. Thanks for all of the other suggestions, I'll check out the second hand stores this week too, and if all else fails it's a great excuse to get back down to New York (although it's freezing just now!).

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Caz,

Checked out your site, nice touch on the drums. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Caz,

Checked out your site, nice touch on the drums. Best of luck to you.
Thank you, much appreciated. Best to you too.

Cheers,
Caroline