Pre gig routines?

My gig starts off with a good roustabout in the parking lot because I am double parked and in somebody's way. Then I hurl my drums into the venue complaining and hollering that none of these f$%cking a#%h$les gives me a hand. If there are people in the way as a lug my cases to the stage, I usual tell them to get the f*&ck out of the way because I have to set up. About this time, I grab myself a cold one down half of it and put it on the floor where it quickly spills and makes a mess. I try as quickly as possible to set up claiming my space by putting down a rug and letting everyone know that this is my area. I try to get my drums ready as quickly as possible so that I can grab some eats and another cold one before my fifteen minute warm-up. But that never happens as an infinite number of problems occur after the sticks in my back pocket knock over the mic stand starting a domino affect of crashes ending in a big dent in the bass guitar. Just about the time I am ready to grab a cold one to relax before the show, the sound guy calls me over for a sound check. Then we're on already. No one even looks at me from the stage. I don"t know why I even do this.

Sleep as late as possible...google club address....grab large cup of ice water and lime juice as it's been over 100 degrees for a month straight here in Texas, don't forget fan and towel, drive for a very long time. Oh yes, and as I make my first trip into the bar with cart loaded hear the inevitable question " There gonna be a band tonight?" followed by question number two " Kinda music y'all play?"

My gig starts off with a good roustabout in the parking lot because I am double parked and in somebody's way. Then I hurl my drums into the venue complaining and hollering that none of these f$%cking a#%h$les gives me a hand. If there are people in the way as a lug my cases to the stage, I usual tell them to get the f*&ck out of the way because I have to set up. About this time, I grab myself a cold one down half of it and put it on the floor where it quickly spills and makes a mess. I try as quickly as possible to set up claiming my space by putting down a rug and letting everyone know that this is my area. I try to get my drums ready as quickly as possible so that I can grab some eats and another cold one before my fifteen minute warm-up. But that never happens as an infinite number of problems occur after the sticks in my back pocket knock over the mic stand starting a domino affect of crashes ending in a big dent in the bass guitar. Just about the time I am ready to grab a cold one to relax before the show, the sound guy calls me over for a sound check. Then we're on already. No one even looks at me from the stage. I don"t know why I even do this.

And Amen to the double parked, drink spilling thing!

I usually run a marathon before the gig. After that I'm really relaxed and sleepy.
Then I usually rang a substitute drummer to replace me. Sometimes
I manage to drag myself to gig and sleep throug the gig if the guys
play soft enough.

I've thought about drinking a can of Red Bull before a gig when I've been tired, but always worried I'd play everything twice as fast or at least stuff up my timing, or have heart palpatations from excess caffiene combined with adrenalin!

Haha nah that doesn't happen with me... or if it does then I don't notice. I just play the songs with more energy.

Okay, I'll take the "serious answer" approach :)

I try to make sure to get rest.

I avoid eating any foods that could mess up my stomach. I've made the mistake of eating spicy food and having to deal with heartburn or an upset stomach on a gig is no joke!

I warm up early in the day on the practice pad. Then, about half an hour before the show, I warm up again on the pad.

I do some drum corps stretches.

I do the Gatorade G-Series thing. G1 before the gig, G2 during, G3 (Yuck) after.

I have difficulty doing the same thing twice in a row as it is, but come to think of it what I tend to do is sit waiting in the venue during everyone's soundchecks in case I'm needed for something...and then before going on...I wait. I get very uncomfortable not being at the venue, if my band's gone to get some food or something...I always feel like I must be there in case of...something. I'm not sure what, someone needs to ask me something about something, plug something in, borrow some gear...some typical gig emergency.

I have difficulty doing the same thing twice in a row as it is, but come to think of it what I tend to do is sit waiting in the venue during everyone's soundchecks in case I'm needed for something...and then before going on...I wait. I get very uncomfortable not being at the venue, if my band's gone to get some food or something...I always feel like I must be there in case of...something. I'm not sure what, someone needs to ask me something about something, plug something in, borrow some gear...some typical gig emergency.

I get antsy sitting around the venue waiting to play, so I usually go outside and take a walk to try and clear my head and kill time. But then I get nervous that I'm missing something inside so I have to come back. I end up doing this 2-3 times, depending on how long before the band is to go on.

BTW - some of the poasts in this thread are LOL funny - good stuff! :)

Back