What are you working on at the moment?

"What are you working on at the moment?" That is THE question!

I'm trying to focus on the rudiments. I need a lot of work, that's for sure. Ultimately, I working towards achieving fluidity, and ease of getting around the kit. No easy feat, but with practice, well, you know what they say. I just recently made a video about the paradiddle (and where I found it - interesting place). Here's the link:

The Paradiddle In Action

Plus there's a little bit in there about where I am, drumming-wise. Hope you like it! I hope to make more videos like these.

Looking into getting a teacher to sort out my hand technique. That's my no. 1 priority at the moment.

Aside from that - linear concepts and I've started working out of Gary Chester's New Breed.

Trying to teach my left foot ( that would probably be your right ), to do any old thing it wants to do.

Quarters, doubles, triplets, quads, in all the 32nd note spaces in a bar.

That - I'm trying to make my right foot as fast, constant, and powerful as possible.

And I'm working on keeping myself relaxed and consistent whenever I play.

-Hand grip & Technique
-Feet technique
-Double bass
-Four way coordination

So not much then !!

Building my Four Way Coordination: Triplets against playing time.

I'm working on evening out my singles and doubles.
I'm also trying to improve my ghost notes.

Basically, I need my left hand to be better at everything.

Hey everyone! ;)

I wanted to share with you how I practice lately:

Monday - Wednesday, Friday: Warm up with Stick Control (45min), Double Bass Drumming by Bob Burget (no stop 30 min straight 16ths on bass) (30 min), Afro-Cuban, Jazz and Latin Independence on Monday Wednesday and Friday, respectively (1 hour), New Breed 2 (30 min), Time Functioning Patterns by Gary Chaffe (30 min), Improv Playing + Groove Playing + Soloing (Rest of the day as I get inspired which happens numerously)

Tuesday + Thursday: Warm up with Sticking Patterns by Gary Chaffe (30min), Accents and rebounds by Stone (30min), Bass+Snare Endurance Exercise (one of Derek Roddy's) (30min), Flam Exercise from Dom Famularo's book It's Your Turn (30min), Stick Control with Double Bass (30 min), 4 Way Coordination by Marvin Dahlgren (30min Harmonic Independence + 30min Melodic Independence), Improv Playing + Groove Playing + Soloing (Rest of the day as I get inspired which happens numerously)

Weekends I don't "practice" but play as much as possible, as time permits...

This practice schedule evolved from a longer one (7 hours per day while this shor version is only 3.5), mostly because I couldn't keep up with it since it was too demanding.

Opinions and thoughst are welcome. ;)

Back