Mom and Pop vs the big box

Old hype, I do frequent the one good store and I name checked them in my post,

The point of my op was that I have 2 stores that make it really difficult for me to choose them over a big corporate chain store,

I would much rather give my money to a small independant store but 2 out of the 3 near me are so bad that I physically choose the corporate chain over them.

Old hype, I do frequent the one good store and I name checked them in my post,

The point of my op was that I have 2 stores that make it really difficult for me to choose them over a big corporate chain store,

I would much rather give my money to a small independant store but 2 out of the 3 near me are so bad that I physically choose the corporate chain over them.

old hype....really??

Hahahahaha - payback ;)

(I'm surprised you haven't "outed" me yet on brazen use of wind chimes in my latest playing thread;)

oh trust me, I saw you play them., the shock was too much to comment on.

hahaha i knew you'd like that too damnit!your just mad you didnt come up with it!

oh trust me, I saw you play them., the shock was too much to comment on.

hahaha i knew you'd like that too damnit!your just mad you didnt come up with it!
No, I'm glad I didn't come up with it. It allows me to snigger copiously without taking crap for it :)

Next time out, I'll combine wind chimes with sleigh bells just to really max out the drummer cheese hurl affect ;)

No, I'm glad I didn't come up with it. It allows me to snigger copiously without taking crap for it :)

Next time out, I'll combine wind chimes with sleigh bells just to really max out the drummer cheese hurl affect ;)

haha just dont bring a gong or use mallets....or brushes

Without giving details, or at least one example, saying a company is 'super crappy' just sounds like name calling.

lol… true, didn't think of that, i'll admit! one example… the assistant manager, after my training was completed, got mad at me for talking to the moms and wives who came in… he said they were to be ignored since "chicks don't know anything about playing an instrument", my reply, in a professional way, was that it didn't matter, we are retail, the retail industry's revenue is generated overwhelmingly by women… he looked at me like i was speaking japanese, then said "just stop trying to get an easy date… you're here to work"… the same manager would harp on me about having to call him to use his log in for a sale… when he kept telling me that he would set it up… i would wait days, then ask him if i could do it myself, i went to other associates to see if they could walk me through it… no avail… and he still wouldn't get me one while chewing me out about how i kept hounding him every time i needed to log a sale… lol

Sounds like you had a bad manager at your GC. Not sure that should ruin the entire chain for you, but I guess it could. Our GC seems pretty decent. I think I bought some stuff from the manager of that section and he was very low key and knowledgeable. He also dug around in the used section so I wouldn't have to buy an entire pack of tuning rods when I only needed one.

Of course last week I was trying to figure out how one of the snares was tuned because it sounded so much nicer than an identical one next to it. When I commented that it seemed like it was tuned to a fifth, a guy I'd never seen before told me he was taught you shouldn't really tune the reso head because you aren't supposed to hit it to check the lug tuning. He thought you just got the rods to feel about the same tightness and then tightened the 4 next to the snare a bit extra. Advice like that is a large part of why I'm a fan of web boards like this one.

It's sad that the small stuff is what keeps a specialty store's doors open, because most of us won't drive out of our way for anything but a larger purchase. We have one nice drum store an hour away from me, but I never go there. GC is 3 minutes from my son's piano lessons, and if they don't have what I want, I'll order through Amazon.

In my neck of the woods, we do have a Guitar Center. They're not too bad but, I prefer to not go there. We do have a fantastic independent music store (Grandma's Music) and they will always beat internet pricing and their staff is always very nice and helpful. Only drawback, they are on the completely opposite side of town so it's difficult to just go by for the heck of it and check out gear. I need to have a reason to drive over there. =(

I live in rural, middle-of-the-state Washington. We have two music stores in our area. The first is staffed by people who are almost to the level of family with me after two years. They love working with local musicians (the manager is married to the bass player for one of the most successful bands in town; one of the sales reps plays guitar in another very good band; the rest are also noted local musicians). I often go there just to hang out. The selection is decent for must-have parts such as sticks, heads, and widgets, and they have a pretty good dealer network, meaning they might be able to order in something for me at pretty close to what it might cost from a big box store. When they can't match price, they straight up tell me.

The other store in town is apparently geared at separating uninformed parents of school-age musicians and school band directors from their money. Their prices are somewhere between insane and insulting. This morning I saw a Tama Silverstar Birch 5-piece in their store for $1200. GC sells the same set for $699 plus shipping. Sticks are "50% off the sticker price" of 19.95 per pair. Most of the heads on the rack are for marching percussion.

Ironically, the best deals in town are often in the pawn shops, but there you get what you get. This morning I found a 19" Paragon china for $119 and a nearly new set of A Customs (14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride) for a combined $350.

But sadly, if I'm really looking for something particular that costs over $50, I have to time my purchases with trips to Seattle, where I usually stop in at Donn Bennett's and/or GC, and usually find what I'm looking for at an internet-comparable price. There is nothing closer to me (200 miles) with any sort of mentionable selection. I do most of my purchases on the used market these days, without any assistance from stores... sad but true.

I will never be able to understand why some people experience bad customer service at small businesses. I'm a small business owner myself. There are often many things that I cannot control such as my cost of goods, availability, cash flow, logistics, etc. But the ONE thing that I do have complete control over is the service my customers get from me and my employees. Businesses like mine don't survive by volume, exposure, and aggressive marketing. We survive by excellent customer service and loyalty.

Naturally, I will give my dollars to other small businesses before I give it to a big box store, knowing full well that I'm paying a higher mark-up and using more gas to get there. That being said, I do think that there is a place for both in the market. They each hit a particular niche that different people need at different times. Without one, the other would go completely rogue. Still, the order in which I'll patronize will never change. I'll always give the little guy the first shot, and then work my way up to the bigger guys.

The other store in town is apparently geared at separating uninformed parents of school-age musicians and school band directors from their money. Their prices are somewhere between insane and insulting. This morning I saw a Tama Silverstar Birch 5-piece in their store for $1200. GC sells the same set for $699 plus shipping. Sticks are "50% off the sticker price" of 19.95 per pair. Most of the heads on the rack are for marching percussion.

Sounds like my local music store.................it seems that everything they list is double the online price..........frustrating, because I would love to support a local, small business

Fortunately, in my area, we don't have a Guitar Center for about 60 miles around. We have a local franchise that is really good. They have 2 stores relatively close to me, one is average in size and really close, good selection and depending on who's working, good service. The other one is huge, bigger than the closest GC and really great service.

Back