Stick question.

Jfraz1994

Ok, so I've been playing drums for about 2 years now almost. I started out with these superrr thin and light sticks.. They were horrible for me, dropped em constantly. Then I got 5Bs and they were cool. Size was good, however I found them to be a little heavy (I do a lot of fast paced drumming and complicated fills, so I need lightness and speed.) Im currently using 7As and I love their wieght. They're a litttttle thin, but I can hold on to them atleast haha. Now, im not too farmiliar with stick types. Is there one with light wieght like the 7As but a little thicker?(no thicker than 5B's thickness though) Id like to try something like that. Thanks guys!

5A is a great compromise between power and weight.

I had a similar predicament. Someone on this forum recommended Vater fatback 3A. Diameter is between a 5A and 5B with a shoter taper. Tried 'em and love 'em. I find Vater's consistancy is great stick to stick too.

Great size for me is .550--vic firth 85A. Try them. Great sticks, awesome feel too. I have some of the AJ american jazz firth sticks too and those can be 5B diameter with a long taper so they feel super light. Keep trying sticks until you find your choice. I always try different sticks. they all sound different and feel different.

You may also want to try maple sticks? Ive heard they are lighter then hickory.
??

Ok, so I've been playing drums for about 2 years now almost. I started out with these superrr thin and light sticks.. They were horrible for me, dropped em constantly. Then I got 5Bs and they were cool. Size was good, however I found them to be a little heavy (I do a lot of fast paced drumming and complicated fills, so I need lightness and speed.) Im currently using 7As and I love their wieght. They're a litttttle thin, but I can hold on to them atleast haha. Now, im not too farmiliar with stick types. Is there one with light wieght like the 7As but a little thicker?(no thicker than 5B's thickness though) Id like to try something like that. Thanks guys!

Try using a maple stick, lighter.

Just a thought, i switched to 5B's and I feel like I am faster than when I played with 747's. The larger stick changed my fulcrum point where i hold them and made speed easier to obtain to my surprise. Do you have a teacher or someone who can look at where your hands are on the stick? speed does not come from stick size, more so from proper technique.

Keep you're 7A's and get some grip tape. Wrap them suckers up for better grip, as well as a little weight at the butt end. Try it out.

I personally prefer the Vic Firth 55A's. They are halfway between 5A's and 5B's in thickness.

+1 for 5A's.

I have a similar story to TFitting:

I used to use 7A's like you, until about 15 years ago I got some lessons that improved my technique. As I practiced and better technique emerged, I found the 7A's were now too light. I changed to 5A's then, and still playing them now. Faster than I used to be too :)

Just a thought...

All great suggestions. If you like the diameter of 5B sticks, the maple suggestion may be the way to go. The SD9 is a great stick but Vic Firth also has models with different tips, too. My favorites are the SD9 and SD2 Bolero. Check the website.

Another stick that's pretty cool is the Vic Firth Akira Jimbo stick- it's a 5A (.565 diameter), with a coating that gets sticky as it warms up.

7A sticks...I never liked the tone it extracted from the drums, not enough weight for the job IMO. They sound thin. I use them when I'm forced to play ultra quiet, that's it.

The thicker the stick, the better tones it extracts from the drum, JMO.

If lighter sticks with bigger diameters are your thing, definitely try maple. Also consider getting a larger stick with a longer taper - this will make the stick "feel" lighter.

+1 for 5A's.

I have a similar story to TFitting:

I used to use 7A's like you, until about 15 years ago I got some lessons that improved my technique. As I practiced and better technique emerged, I found the 7A's were now too light. I changed to 5A's then, and still playing them now. Faster than I used to be too :)

Just a thought...

Oh man i coulnd't imagine a stick too light. I use 7A's and am thinking about trying some 8A's

Back