DWPS ordered!

That's good to know cg! I'm fairly OCD so knowing that the purchasing process didn't go smooth as in there being no problems with the kit, that the setup is made up of replacement drums and knowing I had to go through such a process to correct these issues would leave a bad taste with me and DW. I probably would have returned the whole kit and never looked back. Though in the end that could be my loss of a great kit or it might not. I know it's not an extremely high dollar type of item, like a car for example but with it being well over $2000 after taxes just for drums with such a simple finish on it, it's just the principle of it. If you plan to charge that kind of money I expect it to be 99% flawless or so with that last 1% being a shell or shells having a 1/8" to 3/16" difference at the most and seeing the type of problems you had with not only the 8" but the biggest piece of the kit the bass drum as well, I would not be happy.

I don't mean this to come across as being a snob or psycho over issues that may be trivial to some but it's just my feelings on it is all. Not only did you pay that kind of money for those drums, you ran into two major porblems and one being an add-on drum, you're having to deal with shipping things back which is possibly money out of your pocket and time as well, not to mention having to wait to be able to enjoy your investment. If I were DW and because of the extreme issues, I would have offered you a cymbal stand of your choice or something. Just to show appreciation for your business. That's how I would run my company if I had one.

Anyway lol, hope things get squared away for you cg!

That's good to know cg! I'm fairly OCD so knowing that the purchasing process didn't go smooth as in there being no problems with the kit, that the setup is made up of replacement drums and knowing I had to go through such a process to correct these issues would leave a bad taste with me and DW. I probably would have returned the whole kit and never looked back. Though in the end that could be my loss of a great kit or it might not. I know it's not an extremely high dollar type of item, like a car for example but with it being well over $2000 after taxes just for drums with such a simple finish on it, it's just the principle of it. If you plan to charge that kind of money I expect it to be 99% flawless or so with that last 1% being a shell or shells having a 1/8" to 3/16" difference at the most and seeing the type of problems you had with not only the 8" but the biggest piece of the kit the bass drum as well, I would not be happy.

I don't mean this to come across as being a snob or psycho over issues that may be trivial to some but it's just my feelings on it is all. Not only did you pay that kind of money for those drums, you ran into two major porblems and one being an add-on drum, you're having to deal with shipping things back which is possibly money out of your pocket and time as well, not to mention having to wait to be able to enjoy your investment. If I were DW and because of the extreme issues, I would have offered you a cymbal stand of your choice or something. Just to show appreciation for your business. That's how I would run my company if I had one.

Anyway lol, hope things get squared away for you cg!

At an aerospace company I worked in the customer return department. I'd like to tour the DW factory and ask to see the reject drum department. I wonder how big the pile of rejects is ?

At an aerospace company I worked in the customer return department. I'd like to tour the DW factory and ask to see the reject drum department. I wonder how big the pile of rejects is ?

I'm beginning to wonder myself. I'm surprised my X7 set came in as good of condition as it did.

No, you wouldn't.

lol!

#morethantwentyletters

I'd like to tour the DW factory and ask to see the reject drum department. I wonder how big the pile of rejects is ?

Not bagging on DW, because I like them just fine.. but I remember why this was happening, at least before. They started using the cold presses to cure the shells faster, but with that much moisture near the coast.. it might still not be remedied.

THIS was a response by Good years back regarding their shells :

"There were so many shell failures due to
our old ambient air cooling methods. What
I mean by this is, we simply made shells
under 2600 lbs of pressure at 200 degrees
for 5.5 minutes, took them out of the molds
and put them on a cold cement floor to cool
down. We manufacture in Oxnard, where
one day there are hot, dry Santa Ana winds
and the next day there’s fog and moist air
coming off the Channel Islands. These
shells react favorably and unfavorably to
these environmental conditions. In the past,
we’ve had to destroy so many shells
due to warping. "

Not bagging on DW, because I like them just fine.. but I remember why this was happening, at least before. They started using the cold presses to cure the shells faster, but with that much moisture near the coast.. it might still not be remedied.

THIS was a response by Good years back regarding their shells :

"There were so many shell failures due to
our old ambient air cooling methods. What
I mean by this is, we simply made shells
under 2600 lbs of pressure at 200 degrees
for 5.5 minutes, took them out of the molds
and put them on a cold cement floor to cool
down. We manufacture in Oxnard, where
one day there are hot, dry Santa Ana winds
and the next day there’s fog and moist air
coming off the Channel Islands. These
shells react favorably and unfavorably to
these environmental conditions. In the past,
we’ve had to destroy so many shells
due to warping. "

im pretty sure i heard that in the "dw factory tour" video.

idk how the drums warps after they go through the heating/cooling process in those "locking cylinder thing"? they show it in the video that drums go in the hot cylinder, the middle locks with pressure for a few minutes, then its taken out and immediately put in the cold cylinder, the middle locks with pressure so the drum doesnt move/cant warp.

idk... unless they are cutting back on the cooling process to make the performance series more affordable?

Now if DW were smart they would create a story behind their one of a kind ancient cement floor.

DW Drum Company cures their shells on their unique cement floor. Their floor is made of concrete imported from Greece. The lime pits used to make the concrete mix were used in 500 BC to make the concrete for the pillars of the Parthenon. And that is why the sound of DW drums is so unique.

Now if DW were smart they would create a story behind their one of a kind ancient cement floor.

DW Drum Company cures their shells on their unique cement floor. Their floor is made of concrete imported from Greece. The lime pits used to make the concrete mix were used in 500 BC to make the concrete for the pillars of the Parthenon. And that is why the sound of DW drums is so unique.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mhmm... they been doing for years now so they should have it down pat... thats why i said my they are cutting back on the cooling process with the P.S.

How and why would they ? They claim the P.S. are made exactly the same way and to take these chances on their reputation ??

That means they are lying.

How and why would they ? They claim the P.S. are made exactly the same way and to take these chances on their reputation ??

That means they are lying.

probably...

i know you aint saving 1000+ dollars cause the lugs are smaller neither

none the less dw makes good sounding drums, they are "a bit" pricey but good sounding!.
i own one and absoluely love it!

btw...artstar, do you own an artstar kit? got some questiones for you...

probably...

i know you aint saving 1000+ dollars cause the lugs are smaller neither

none the less dw makes good sounding drums, they are pricey but good sounding!.
i own one and absoluely love it.

Yeah.. I hear what you are saying.. But remember.. a regular Collectors without the upgraded veneer or specialty paint.. Is not that far off from Performance. You might have bought into the perception they are always expensive.

Yeah.. I hear what you are saying.. But remember.. a regular Collectors without the upgraded veneer or specialty paint.. Is not that far off from Performance. You might have bought into the perception they are always expensive.

That's why I went with the Performance over the Design series. I was tempted to get the Design. After all is said and done (I'm going to order the 16" in a couple of weeks, and I already got the 8" tom when I ordered my kit), the DWPS is going to end up being almost a grand more than the Design series kit, but with the Performance being close in design to the Collectors (with some pretty clear differences, obviously), it was a no brainer.

So far I've had to return two drums - the 8" was out of round, and the bass is out of round. But the responsiveness of both DW and the vendors I've used (Guitar Center and Geartree), I still have a good amount of faith in them, despite initially being put off. The response and customer service from all three has actually been outstanding.

wow... Loads of DW hate... Anyone would be upset with that type of quality... This is the first thread I've read online with these types of comments about the Performance kit...If they were not communicating with you and not dealing with these issues, then you have reason to be really pissed, but they're not. It sounds like they've recognized there has been a mistake and are dealing with it. Not much more you can ask of them... Sure an extra little something from the supplier or manufacturer would be nice, but wait and see, it might happen yet. Good luck and enjoy them, they are great sounding drums.

That's why I went with the Performance over the Design series. I was tempted to get the Design. After all is said and done (I'm going to order the 16" in a couple of weeks, and I already got the 8" tom when I ordered my kit), the DWPS is going to end up being almost a grand more than the Design series kit, but with the Performance being close in design to the Collectors (with some pretty clear differences, obviously), it was a no brainer.

So far I've had to return two drums - the 8" was out of round, and the bass is out of round. But the responsiveness of both DW and the vendors I've used (Guitar Center and Geartree), I still have a good amount of faith in them, despite initially being put off. The response and customer service from all three has actually been outstanding.

Great! i have faith the new kick drum will be good and roundy!

how much is a 16" for the DWPS? i was looking at getting a 16" for my kit...$600+ for it was an ouch for me!

Great! i have faith the new kick drum will be good and roundy!

how much is a 16" for the DWPS? i was looking at getting a 16" for my kit...$600+ for it ouch!

The 16" for the DWPS is somewhere around $400. Not pocket change, but not too bad, either. The 8" that I got was just under $300, too, I was pretty happy about that, considering the cost of that Eco-X tom you just got.

The 16" for the DWPS is somewhere around $400. Not pocket change, but not too bad, either. The 8" that I got was just under $300, too, I was pretty happy about that, considering the cost of that Eco-X tom you just got.

that's not bad, my 8' tom was just under $400...

i remember a few years back 8' eco-x toms were under 300 and 16" under $400 cause there were a bunch around...

Back