Jason Bonham - Cymbal Setup

Strangelove

Gold Member
I see where he is playing a Ludwig Vistalite set, like his dad. Does anybody know why he doesn't use his dad's Paiste cymbal setup?

I see where he is playing a Ludwig Vistalite set, like his dad. Does anybody know why he doesn't use his dad's Paiste cymbal setup?

Because for some reason he thinks that Zildjian is better than Paiste! LOL!

Bonham jr. and his cymbal set up, Zildjian.

Attachments

• jason_bonham-1.jpg
    jason_bonham-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 8,438
In 1989, he was a DW/Zildjian guy. Probably just a case of Zildjian has always taken care of him.

I have used both Zildjans and Paistes myself. Quality wise, I believe they are both on the same par. Sound wise, it depends on your personal preferences.

I was just surprised to see Jason go to Ludwig Vistalites, but keep his Zildjan setup.

Maybe he plays Vistalites because he thinks they sound good, not just because his dad played them? If so, he probably plays Zildjian because he thinks they sound better than other brands (and rightly so ;-) )

Here ya go...Jason playing on a set of 2002's, just like dad.

Attachments

• JasonBonhamPaiste.jpg
    JasonBonhamPaiste.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 13,449
  • JasonBonhamPaiste3.jpg
    JasonBonhamPaiste3.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 4,712
I try to keep track of Jason and his reason for using Zil instead of Paiste was that Zil had been close friends with his family and him for 25+ years. He never said anything bad about Paiste or Sabian, it is just a personal choice.

In Celebration Day he used a Master Sound HH, 2 21" Crash/Rides and an old Zil K 24" thin Ride. The only part of this setup which IMHO let him down was the Ride. I think it was too light and quiet. Big difference from a Zil thin and a 24" 2002/Giant Beat. No Quarter was where I really noticed the difference. He was not able to get the "Haunting" sound from the Zil.

In a great deal of his work (Foreigner) he uses Zil A customs.

So anyone know, has he switched endorsement agreements or just playing on a backline?

Can't find him listed on either the Zildjian or Paiste web sites.

So anyone know, has he switched endorsement agreements or just playing on a backline?

Can't find him listed on either the Zildjian or Paiste web sites.

I have not heard anything about him switching from Zil. I believe the pictures of him playing the 2002's came from the Bonzo Bash, where the kit was set up just like his Dad's. There have been a couple of drummers who play/ed Zil who never appeared on their site as endorsers, Steve Gorman of the Crowes was never on there either. When Steve switched to Paiste, they certainly put him up as a featured artist(He went with a combo of 2002's and Giant Beats). Maybe neither Jason or Steve ever had a formal agreement with Zil, they just used their gear, but did not want to have to go out and flog it at conventions and stuff. I am only guessing.

Those pics aren't from the Bonzo Bash. That's one of Jason's DW kits.

Realy, I keep good track of Jason and there is no news of him switching to Paiste, but he is John's son so he can do what he wants. To actually see him on Ludwig Vistalites and Paiste 2002's/Giant Beats would be great. He has earned it!

He is certainly one of the mosr under rated drummers out there, but considering his lineage this is understandable. IMHO, he is one of the most talented and powerful Rock drummers out there. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
when I saw him this summer, his kit had paiste 2002's. I was in the 4th row and could see the underside labels. it was his kit for the Jason Bonham led zep experience.

Looks like 2, 20" crashes, 24" ride, 15" SE's.
That's a Dunnett kit (with DW lugs). Those drums are amazing sounding.

Back