Fastest Double Bass Player?

Speedy

If you had to pick one drummer, who would you say the fastest double bass player is? On which song? cd?

Re: Double Bass

Fastest ever double bass player I have ever seen is Thomas Lang. Truely awe-inspiring.

Or if I had to pick one from my metal collection, would be a toss up between Steve Ashiem of Deicide or Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel. I'm most fond of Dave Lombardo of Slayer aswell, but he's not so much about speed, but brutal power and technique.

Gene Hoglan of Strapping Young Lad is damn fast. And he keeps it fast for long periods of time and records without splicing any parts. Dude weighs like 350 lbs, but he can double bass like a MOFO.

But it's not about speed. For me it's about the double bass patterns and tricks here and there like Tomas Haake of Meshuggah plays on the Meshuggah song "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" from their Chaosphere CD. Check that one out for some cool double bass...

I second the Gene Holgan....

Though he's even better in Death....

In fact any drummer for Death was phenominal. Richard Christyu ruled!

Meshuggah's 21minute long EP "I" has the longest and most regular double bass rythms. MR HAAKE once again.

MAIK from the swiss grindcore band Nostromo is my all time favourite double bass beast. "Unwillingly and Slow" on the album Ecce Lex shows off the most angry blastbeat.

Not the flashiest, but I love the work of JIMMY DEGRASSO on the Suicidal Tendencies song "Lost Again" from Lights, Camera, Revolution album.

The fastest I have heard is Travis from Trivium. But I don't to much of the fast double bass etc stuff. Eg a lot of the heavy metal stuff.

i think the fastest double bass drum is dennis chambers and neil peart

hmmm..i gotta say thomas lang sure has some speed.

others like Pete Sandoval (Morbid angel) and dave lombardo (Slayer, but the one album (The Gathering) he played with Testament has incredible double bass, not to mention incredible overal drummer) are pretty fast with double bass. theres definetly others, but those ones firstly come to mind

well in the technical section, i think it would be virgil donati and maybe thomas lang

but as the constantly smashing double bass is more common in metal, I think, some drummer dudes of malevolent creation or death are very fast, or the berzerker drummer , or nick barker, or also joey jordison, or lombardo, lol there would be so many who can play really fast, but you cant exactly tell who is the fastest
@speedy: but it is for sure not lars ulrich :D

Derek Roddy has fast pedal works.. Most death metal bands i listen to have a fast feet works.. Hate eternal.. And tim yeung from vital remains has incredible speeds too.. :)

first of all, Im Matt, im an 18 year old jazz/funk drummer from PA...

If you want fast double bass and incredible precision, you want Flo Mounier of Crytopsy...

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/mounier.html

check out his videos...can't say i've seen anyone play faster singles in my life

suprising none of you have heard of hellhammer, the legendary scandanavian black metal drummer......as sinister as his band mayhem may be, his double bass is by far the fastest ive ever heard..rumor has it he is recording with DIMMU BORGIR, as their master metal skinsman nick barker stepped aside. hellhammer also drums with thorns and arcturus...look them up and you will be amazed. next to him its dimmu borgir's old drummer nick barker.

the guy from morbid angel is fast...but not as fast as hellhammer, nobody is

Tim Waterson has got to get a mention. In the metal ranks theres also Dave Mclean from Machine Head and Van Williams from Nevermore who never seems that fast till their Enemies Of Reality album.

That flo mounier solo on the vic firth website is horrible in comparison to his other solo's, and believe me I've seen alot. Seen cryptospy live 2 times, and the two times he did jawdropping solo's ( I was RIGHT besides the set ), I also have a solo on video of him, that doesn't seem to be on the net anymore because I can't find it anywhere.

To be honest fast double bass to me, doesn't mean anything if its not tastefull. Some of the best double bass work i've heard would probably be from Gene Hoglan with the work he did on the Death albums.

thinkintriplets said:
I'd have to agree with the Flo comment AND the dude from Nile. On the new Nile, I think the speeds are something like 250-270 bpm....

Marc.

p.s. - Cool Flo Vid. :D

250 bpm is really really slow, you can do that on one foot if your decent... not metranome speed but actuall bpm, the faster double bass players are over 850's

Jo Jo mayer and John Bonham, ooo wait they didnt and dont need one.

That aside, i dont think that the double bass should be used to up for the drummers lack of hand speed. Not all drummers are like this, but a lot are.

But the person who uses the double bass as it should be, the best would have to be Dennis Chambers.

CartersChops said:
250 bpm is really really slow, you can do that on one foot if your decent... not metranome speed but actuall bpm, the faster double bass players are over 850's

He is talking about 16th notes played at 250BPM....That is really really fast...270 is insane!

Back