Things you hate to have happen while drumming

ege_the_drummer

I think we all agree that playing the drums is loads of fun but.....
Sometimes, while drumming, things can go wrong. Post anything you hate to have happen while you drum.

1. Hitting your hand with a drumstick while playing. Not only does it hurt, but I usually drop the stick in the most inconvenient of places (which leads me to my next point).

2. Having the stick fly out of your hand while drumming. I can stand dropping it within reaching area, but I hate it when the stick lands several feet away.

Post any occurences that annoy you while you drum.

I grew up counting a four measure beat and going back to one after those four measures.So when ever I have to play over that amount I have to fight the urge to go on to five.It's not really drumming,more of just me.

My set is up against a wall and a desk is right next to it.So when I get in I have to push my hihat in and sometimes it hits a tom.

I hate it when a stick flies out of your hand and flies in front of your set and then having to get out of the set and get it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Don't often drop sticks anymore, bass drum does not slide if using a carpet underneath...
I do hate when I miss a cymbal (every so often...)
The worst for me is when I totally forget the rythm to a song we haven't played in while and have to switch gears already into the song.

Oh well, guess these things will happen from time to time, but at least it means you are playing!

My bass drum pedal broke on a gig once. Not really break, but the beater came loose and was unplayable. On a funk tune as well. I told the bass player to turn his mids up to cover up. I got it fixed though. But still, that's not something great to happen.

I remember one of my friend's cymbal stands fell down on the floor one time. Very loud crash. Not very musical.

I get really cross when I drop sticks. Paying more attention and not doing it so much anymore.
Missing the crash and hitting a tom instead ... just getting distracted and it sounds really stupid.
My foot slipping on the high-hat pedal ... happens on every pedal I use except my own.
But the thing I hate most is when the song ... or the set ... is over and I have to stop playing.
(My favorite moment at Woodstick: playing 'We Will Rock You' with the house band ... I think it went 15 verses ... and I was just getting warmed up!)

Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.

tentpole said:
I hate it when a stick flies out of your hand and flies in front of your set and then having to get out of the set and get it.

You should keep 2 or 3 extra pairs of sticks..this used to happen to me and wow...it stinks.

Bassdrum and hi-hat creeping away. This causes me to miss my hi-hat sometimes which makes me drop my stick.

Learning I hadnt tightened a stand enough, such as the cymbal stand rotating joint so my crash will come down on my toms or something.

jangus said:
Bassdrum and hi-hat creeping away. This causes me to miss my hi-hat sometimes which makes me drop my stick.

Yes, I agree, that is a thing I really hate!! Especially when I had gigs on stone floor...the baddest thing is that you can`t get it back, you have to play, show must go on, and there is probably another problem: the drums will fall down from the stage because the stage isn`t so big! I just hate this!

Karl

BIG_c said:
Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.

i absolutly hate that, my band has a song that we extend to about ten minutes when we play live and i have to play most of it on the ride

also dropping a stick while playing, it sucks, today i dropped a stick and it landed in such a way on my right bass pedal that i couldent press it down, and i had to stop playing to be able to pull it out of the pedal

and another thing, i have a pretty crap kit, especcially the tom arms, they are all dented and stuff, just from tightening the toms onto them, and doing this has created many grooves on the mounts, so when im playing, the toms start to go completly flat and then they start going to the opposite angle. this means that i cannot play my toms unless i stop and twist them to the right angle and then tighen them again.

I drop sticks too, but I always have a pair of extrasticks on my bassdrum and hihat stand.
and I play gigs mostly in gloves now, and it really works.
Once I torn the chain of the right pedal (I lead with right foot) on my double-kick, during a really long song (8:30-8:40). I've played all the song up to the end with left foot. Hell, it's really s*cks.
And the first problem are this fog-machines (God, I h8 them), and constant heat in the clubs....

When i practise with my band, i try to experiment a lot with my fills and most of the time they turn out great but sometimes they turn out wierd. The worst one was when i didnt get in properly after the fill, so i played the rythm inverted if you will - it sounded really wierd, lol...

Snare head or bass drum head breaking during a set it's just impossible to go on until you fix it. Any other tom you can get by the rest of the night usually.

Dropping sticks stinks, but I have a second stick holder that pro-mark used to make mounted on my hi-hat and it I drop one I can grab one in a second.

For me the most Painful experience has been occuring alot recently when ive been using my new electric kit, I get really into a groove and ill lose the grip of my stick and it will rebound and smack me in the face... =p very painful. Has never happened to me on an acoustic kit, guess im not quite used to the pads.

I hate gigging/playing school kits, especially in a gig where you are not given any time to get the kit how you like it, so something really inconvienient happens like; the bass drum beater isn't tightened properly so it just ricochets of the head and either disappears behing stage or smacks you in the face (ow) or the cymbal stand just collapses one way or another or what I find most annoying, the clutch on the hi-hat just drops and you're playing permanently closed hi hat till the end of the song (gig situation) which just sounds crap cuz it isn't even properly closed hi hat.
I mention these problems on school kit becasue i haven't yet got an acoustic. Click in my sig to hear my electric I have. : )

Also as a lot of people have said, missing cymbals is very annoying as is dropping sticks etc.

O well, stuff happens.

I hate when I hit my right leg with a stick when I go from snare to floor tom. It kills your leg and you cant play the bass for a moment. Fortunately it has only happened when I practice and not in a show.

Back