Who was your first drum clinician?

Tomorrow I am going to a drum clinic to watch Kenny Aaronoff. It's my first clinic and I am pretty excited to see him play. But since I really enjoy other musicians' stories, I figured I'd ask: who was the drummer at the first clinic you ever went to?

Chester Thompson, and I learned a LOT.

Billy Cobham. San Jose, California.

My very first one was Gregg Bissonette back in '81 or so. He had just got done working with Maynard Ferguson (pre-David Lee Roth days) and the man was not only a monster player and excellent teacher, he was a helluva nice guy too. I was lucky because tmy local music store at the time was bringing in a pro like once a month to give drum clinics, so I saw alot of pros from five feet away!

I think it was Akira Jimbo, back in '99.

I had his VHS and I was nuts about him, had a blast.

Tomorrow I am going to a drum clinic to watch Kenny Aaronoff. It's my first clinic and I am pretty excited to see him play. But since I really enjoy other musicians' stories, I figured I'd ask: who was the drummer at the first clinic you ever went to?
First clinic for me was Simon Phillips with Mel Gaynor (Simple Minds) in Manchester. I think it was around 1984 (ish).

As a side note, I spent some time hanging with Kenny Aaronoff & his lovely wife in London a couple of years ago. We discussed a lot of "life" stuff. Both of them are really good hearted people with a strong sensitivity towards others. Quite a distance away from Kenny's publicity image. They are both heavily into their fitness & lifestyle regimes though.

Liberty DeVitto-1989ish...

Carmine Appice. San Antonio, Texas, 1980. Left the clinic and went straight to the local music dealer to order my first pro level Yamaha kit.

Tony Williams in Denver, Colorado in about '96. I think it was his last tour. I will admit that a lot of it was a bit over my head at the time. Hell, still is. Amazing though.

Ed Shaughnessy-1985 or so at a small music store. Don't remember much because I was still too green to understand what he was talking about.

Mid 80s...Weckl at Ray Fransen's Drum Center, Kenner, Louisiana

Peace and goodwill.

Daniel Glass playing a vintage looking DW off-white marine pearl.

$5 admission or something ridiculously not-enough...

My first clinics were Chester Thompson and Simon Phillips. Both mid 80's. At that time my drummer girlfriend was the one inviting me to all of them.

Back