Waiting for one tom

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK - I may have already answered this for myself, but it's always interesting to hear what others would do.

Without going into alot of detail, I've ordered a new kit. I deal directly with the drum company now and everything is on its way except one tom. All the literature say the 8x12 size is considered a special order, so I won't be seeing my one rack tom until top of June (they have to build it first and then I think it sits in one of those huge sea-going containers until they fill the container, then it gets loaded on a ship and comes to our east coast before it gets shipped to me).

Everything arrives by next Wednesday, but I'll be less the tom. I'm kinda' bummed because I'd like to immediately go out with the new drums and start playing them in public. So, I had thought about ordering another 8x12 tom in the same color from another line that they have in stock right now and getting that as an interim tom while I wait for the actual one (I'm not worried about the price, and then I could build a kit around that one drum line in the future). OR - I'm also debating getting one of the company's various smaller snare drums, like a 5x12 or a 13 drum, and using that as a tom for now - and it becomes a secondary snare as well with a voice all its own.

Of course, the second snare makes more sense as you can never have too many different voices to choose from. And I always tell people they should have one high-pitched drum and one low-pitched drum anyway so you can cover the right sounds depending on the music you play, especially if you're in a cover band situation. And usually, in my position, my one rack tom always sounds a little high and timbale-like - which the small snare drum will automatically sound like, or I could just alter my playing and keep my fills to just my floor toms (I doubt anybody would notice my lack of a rack tom - especially if Mo's dancing). I know nobody notices this stuff except for us, so what do you folks think? Get the tom? Or get the snare?

I think I'll get the snare. Any votes for the tom?

Or, I could just not use the new kit until June when I have all of them. I do still own a few other kits anyway....

I would wait for the tom personally. I can get my snare where I like it, and turn it on or off as needed, but I like numerous voices with the toms and those can't be changed on the fly.

That's one vote for the tom here.

well i would wait,or i don't no what sizes you have ,but you can play with 1 tom ,1 floor,just a smaller set up.
i play in a small setup 12,16,22,,big setup [12],13,16,18,22

Sorry - I should've mentioned the kit is meant to be a one-up, two-down kit. So I wouldn't have the "one-up" part until June. So my original plan was to get a readily available "one-up" tom for now, or get a smaller snare drum and use that in the same position.

But I've yet to meet a 12" snare that I liked. I'm being flippy-floppy on this one and now I'm thinking I should get the tom. Maybe if I got a 10" tom, then it's a size I won't already have and it can still be utilized if necessary.

Or, how about a 13" timbale? That could be cool. Or, if I don't mind the hassle-factor of carrying it around, how 'bout a roto tom?

Or stranger still - get a cable hi-hat and put the hi-hats there right in front of my snare.

It's nice to have options, eh? It's driving me crazy.

Why not get a 10" tom from the same series if they have it in stock. Such a useable addition, & done right, works nicely as a more compact kit with just bass drum & your smaller floor tom. As the kit series you're getting is designed to be used as a "family" with progressive size features, I'd advise against getting a tom from another series. So, either get the matching 10" tom & therefore create two kits in one, or wait.

As a side note, I'm kind of surprised something as absolutely standard as a 12" x 8" tom is special order. That's just plain weird :(

Crap, I just noticed I posted as Guru drums.

I had to wait 6 months for my 16 Oak Custom tom. I was told it was the last Yamaha drum made by the Sakae family. Worth the wait.

I would use one of my other 15 drum sets until the tom gets to me. But Andy makes sense of course, try a 10 inch tom.

Found you a tom... In all seriousness, I would just use another for awhile.

Attachments

• tom-selleck.jpg
    tom-selleck.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 191
Took me 9 months to get a tom shipped to me, when it was supposed to be 3. Luckily it was to replace one I didn't like, so could keep using what I had as I waited. I'd order an in-stock tom for time being. You never know if the wait might be longer, but in the end you could play a 6 piece, or have a small one up one down, or get that high note/low note variety you were talking about. My 2 cents.

Or, as Soulfly said, maybe borrow one from another kit you own.

Does it matter? You'll sell this kit before the 12" tom arrives! lol.

OK, kidding aside, don't you have 101 other drum sets to use until then?

I got this one Bo.

Sir, Mr. Eder may go through his share of sets, but he never has more than 3 at one time. Mr Eder has conveyed to me that he does not appreciate the implication that he stockpiles drum sets willy nilly, so please sir, in the future, Mr Eder would prefer that you keep this fact in mind.

JK Ian!

( : ^ P)

I got this one Bo.

Sir, Mr. Eder may go through his share of sets, but he never has more than 3 at one time. Mr Eder has conveyed to me that he does not appreciate the implication that he stockpiles drum sets willy nilly, so please sir, in the future, Mr Eder would prefer that you keep this fact in mind.

JK Ian!

( : ^ P)

Maybe if MR Eder would drive the two hours or so to store his extra kits in my studio, I wouldn't bring this up.

:p

Sit on it, Bo. Play the Ludwigs. Put the other drums away so you aren't tempted.

If you can't wait that long, I like the idea of seeing if they have another tom in stock in a size you'd like, like a 9x13 or an 8x10. That way you have a spare tom in another size, and you could try a 2-up/2-down config at some point.

Maybe if MR Eder would drive the two hours or so to store his extra kits in my studio, I wouldn't bring this up.

Sir, roads, are a 2 way street. Why should Mr. Eder cater to your wants when you could just drive to Mr. Eder's house and offer to assist him in the storage of any drum kits? Ever think of that? Punk?

Mr. Eder has more important things to do than to waste his precious time on the likes of you!

Sit on it, Bo. Play the Ludwigs. Put the other drums away so you aren't tempted.

If you can't wait that long, I like the idea of seeing if they have another tom in stock in a size you'd like, like a 9x13 or an 8x10. That way you have a spare tom in another size, and you could try a 2-up/2-down config at some point.

Actually, the option of a remote hi-hat sounds intriguing. I might want to try the Bruford way of having the hats right in front of my snare. I've never tried it and it could be cool.

Back