John Bonham 1970 Royal Albert Hall Moby Dick

drumkat

I just bought a copy of Led Zeppelin's rare video footage entitled simply as "DVD"

On it was a performance by Bonham playing Moby Dick

He was ONLY 21 yrs old at the time

I am just.....just speechless

It was re mastered in DTS 5.1 and his bass was CAVERNOUS through my sub woofer

There was 2 camera angles throughout his solo and it was just outstanding....just like an instructional drumming DVD

This man played with joy, fun, technique, intuition, musicianship and THE best triplets

I had tears in my eyes by the end of it

I never really paid much attention to him before....but I am greatly converted

I am sorry Mr Bonham for not studying you better

Last edited:
LOL. I remember when that DVD came out. For a couple of weeks before it hit the stores I was like a kid on xmas eve, I was that excited about it. On the day of release I was lined up at JB Hi Fi before the doors opened itching to finally get my hands on a copy. It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

That Royal Albert Hall gig is a great concert. I'd actually heard some bootleg recordings of it over the years and I was so glad Jimmy finally decided to release it. And yes, Bonzo was on fire. He even managed to convert a few of my friends who perhaps weren't as aware of what he was all about until I showed them that flick.

Agree that was a SUPERB concert. its my fave music DVD to watch. Bonzo is in fine form again.

There' s a tiny mistake/flub in Moby Dick in that show. Early on, 1st minute or two, quiet part. He glances the ride cymbal by accident. See if you can find it.

Agree that was a SUPERB concert. its my fave music DVD to watch. Bonzo is in fine form again.

There' s a tiny mistake/flub in Moby Dick in that show. Early on, 1st minute or two, quiet part. He glances the ride cymbal by accident. See if you can find it.

the other mistake is him dropping a stick as soon as he sits down.

That version of moby dick is my favorite, the speed of the cross over triplets is mind blowing

I never really paid much attention to him before....but I am greatly converted

I am sorry Mr Bonham for not studying you better

I felt the same way about a year ago.

That whole show from 1970 completely blows my mind; its by far the best video footage of Zeppelin out there imo. Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest groups ever to grace this Earth.

if it is the one I'm thinking of where is he playing the blonde kit wearing the red tank top he opens the solo paying homage to one of his heros Max Roach by playing "the drum also waltzes"

and everything he plays after is Joe Morello, Papa Jo, Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones and Max Roach 100%

so anyone who utters the foolish statement .... don't ever try to play like anyone but yourself and don't cop other players licks should be led to this solo and told to shut their mouths

hearing his heros licks filtered through his limbs is wonderful and sounds like no one but Bonham to me

love this solo

Last edited:
Definitely one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.

and everything he plays after is Joe Morello, Papa Jo, Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones and Max Roach 100%

It's funny. Morello has always been hugely identifiable in Bonzo's soloing, to me. Probably more so than any other player. Especially when he downs the sticks and plays with his hands. It's Joe all over. I remember seeing footage many years ago of Joe playing with his hands and thinking, so that's where Bonzo got it from.

He loved many of the big band greats and he loved his Motown.......it's definitely reflected in his playing.

It's funny. Morello has always been hugely identifiable in Bonzo's soloing, to me. Probably more so than any other player. Especially when he downs the sticks and plays with his hands. It's Joe all over. I remember seeing footage many years ago of Joe playing with his hands and thinking, so that's where Bonzo got it from.

He loved many of the big band greats and he loved his Motown.......it's definitely reflected in his playing.

and Morello got it from Papa Jo

I definitely think Morello (more than just the hands) , Buddy, and Max are blatantly identifiable in every Bonham solo I have ever heard

Yep part starting 1:11 is totally a Max Roach thing eh?
What part would you say is Elvin Jones-like?

(And the mistaken ride cymbal flub is about 1:28. Very subtle.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_nU_VFvIZs

nothing as specific as his blatantly paying homage to Max with the drum also waltzes .... but I hear Elvin quite a bit throughout with a perfect mixture of Buddy and Morello as well... who were both much more "clean" players than Max and Elvin ... this is all solo wise

within tunes I hear a ton of Earl Palmer, Al Jackson JR. and Pistol Allen

Stanton Moore sums it up nicely here

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/john-bonhams-influences/

Last edited:
Been going back to re read past discussions on Bonham and found this thread. For myself the tone of his drums is just wicked. John Paul Jones Jazz bass tone is great as well.

My kids sometimes have a hard time understanding why I prefer Bonham over Peart even though I'm a huge Rush fan. It's taken many a year but as they get older, and I continue to play classic tracks to them and talk about them they understand it a little better.

I don't see an issue with copying another player. You will sound like you. even Peart talks about taking another players lick. He said he got a certain Triplet lick from Gadd, but it is nothing but a bonham style lick, that is nothing but somebody elses, ect.

If it sounds good, kill it!!

Back