Drumshell aging

Let's not forget that most ply drums have plies running in 90 degree opposing directions every other ply. And with the glue, there shouldn't be much change in the drums with opposing grains fighting each other.

Let's not forget that most ply drums have plies running in 90 degree opposing directions every other ply. And with the glue there shouldn't be much change in the drums with opposing grains fighting each other.
True Grunt, that's the main reason for using plywood. The structural stability and strength!

Which begs the question, would they resonate more if the grains all ran the same way? I'm just wondering.

Which begs the question, would they resonate more if the grains all ran the same way? I'm just wondering.
You own a bentwood snare, A drum that is made from a solid piece of steamed wood. What do you think?
I know that you already know the answer.
Plywood grains are also laid at a 45 degree angle on some of the plies.

No I meant if the plies all ran the same direction not a single ply like the steambent.

They would resinate longer but they would have limited strength. They would have to be either thicker or more plies would have to be added. It would be almost like a thick, solid, single ply drum.

Back