What Drum Mics?

TomasHakkesBrain

What drum mics does everyone use or everyone like/prefer?

I need good standard mics for whole kit including a condenser which could be used also for vocals. Looking for mics which are good all rounders as i play jazz to death metal. I know some of the audix mics like d6 are better for heavy music.

I went to a gig the other night and watched this cover band play. They were doing an open mic jam thing, brought their own little PA. The drummer had a sennheiser 421 on his bass, an sm 57 on his snare and 2 others on his toms, and 3 shure sm 81's, 2 overhead and one on his hat. But his kit was a beat up 30 year old Premier P.O.S., looked like it was dropped off the back of his pickup, missing all of the resonant heads and the batter heads were old coated heads that looked like they were the factory heads that came with the kit. Thing was plastered over all drums with like a thousand bumper stickers. For real. Close to 2 large for all those mics and he's mic'ing a kit that sounded like hell. He would have been much better off buying a 2000 dollar kit and using a 200 dollar drum mic kit than using a 2000 dollar mic kit to mic a 200 dollar drum kit. The point of this story is, i have over 13k invested in my kit and yet i use 2 nady dmk-7 mic kits, 14 mics in total. My cost for all of those mics? about $250. FOR ALL 14 OF THEM. Don't get hung up on "better" microphones, guys, we're drummers, not engineers (at least most of us aren't studio engineers). Buy better drum gear and let the pros worry about microphones. Even for recording at home, that $300 production program (pro-tools/ cubase/ cakewalk, et al) and interface will make your drumkit and that $125 dollar set of mics sound like a million bucks.

I just set a CAD Trion 7000 ribbon mic in front of the set and that's it. I got mine on eBay for about $150 and it sounds absolutely great. Also, if you use multiple mics to mic your drums, the Trion 7000 would probably sound great as an overhead mic. Plus, it sounds fantastic on vocals and guitar amps and just about anything ever. I'm recording a drum track with my Trion 7000 in about a week, so I'll post that when I get a chance.

Snare - SM57
Kick - Shure beta 52 or AKG D112
Toms - Sennheiser 904
Overhead - Røde NT5

I used to use Snare/Kick/overhead, but I'm not a heavy hitter so my toms sort of disappeard in the mix. I just recently got the Sennheisers, have not tried them live yet, but done some test recordings. It really brings those toms out :)
I really like the clip-on mounts.

/Oldie

I went to a gig the other night and watched this cover band play. They were doing an open mic jam thing, brought their own little PA. The drummer had a sennheiser 421 on his bass, an sm 57 on his snare and 2 others on his toms, and 3 shure sm 81's, 2 overhead and one on his hat. But his kit was a beat up 30 year old Premier P.O.S., looked like it was dropped off the back of his pickup, missing all of the resonant heads and the batter heads were old coated heads that looked like they were the factory heads that came with the kit. Thing was plastered over all drums with like a thousand bumper stickers. For real. Close to 2 large for all those mics and he's mic'ing a kit that sounded like hell. He would have been much better off buying a 2000 dollar kit and using a 200 dollar drum mic kit than using a 2000 dollar mic kit to mic a 200 dollar drum kit. The point of this story is, i have over 13k invested in my kit and yet i use 2 nady dmk-7 mic kits, 14 mics in total. My cost for all of those mics? about $250. FOR ALL 14 OF THEM. Don't get hung up on "better" microphones, guys, we're drummers, not engineers (at least most of us aren't studio engineers). Buy better drum gear and let the pros worry about microphones. Even for recording at home, that $300 production program (pro-tools/ cubase/ cakewalk, et al) and interface will make your drumkit and that $125 dollar set of mics sound like a million bucks.

I agree, recording should be from the source back, so drums (and just as importantly the player behind them) come first. However 14 mics just for your drums does seem a lot, either you have a big kit or you've just taken close miking to the extreme. I would say that it's better to get some decent mics rather than a lot of not so good mics for the same money, especially if your recording more than just drums. For instance if you buy a large condenser mic you can use it for the vocals, guitar, bass and kick drum rather than buying seperate mics which aren't as good quality.

I like simple, so when I gig and mike, I use an Audix D6 in the kick, an Audix I5 on the snare, and I have an overhead condenser Rode NT5. I actually have 2 that I used to use, but now I use just 1 because live I can't tell the difference. Plus there are no phase issues. It's all I need. Anything beyond that is just more money, more set up time, more break down time, more stuff in the way, for what? In my studio I use the same set up except I mike all the toms with Sennheiser 604's. The rim mount clips are the shiznet.

Sennheisers sound beautiful. I had a set on my drums in the studio (2 overheads, one on each tom, 2 on the snare, and one on the kick) and the sound was crisp and very easy to balance. Might take a pretty large chunk our of your wallet though...

agree, recording should be from the source back, so drums (and just as importantly the player behind them) come first. However 14 mics just for your drums does seem a lot, either you have a big kit or you've just taken close miking to the extreme. I would say that it's better to get some decent mics rather than a lot of not so good mics for the same money, especially if your recording more than just drums. For instance if you buy a large condenser mic you can use it for the vocals, guitar, bass and kick drum rather than buying seperate mics which aren't as good quality.

Big Kit.

BIG.

I have a CAD "pro" Mic kit that sounds great on my pdp set.

I have a very barebones setup for now that gets me by for simple recording.

AKG C1000s as an overhead
Shure Beta 57A on the snare top
Shure Beta 52A on the kick drum

When it comes time to "get out there" I will proabably add Beta 56As on all the toms and 2 SM81s for overheads.

I agree, recording should be from the source back, so drums (and just as importantly the player behind them) come first. However 14 mics just for your drums does seem a lot, either you have a big kit or you've just taken close miking to the extreme..

what's my name, dawg? hehe... j/k i'm sure you guys are sick of me posting my ridiculously huge monster bubinga kit oh well...

bubinga13.jpg

For recording, it's actually 16 mics: internal drum mics on all 7 toms, 1 for the bass drum, 2 for the snare (one with reverse phase), 1 condenser for the hat, 1 condenser for the ride, 2 condensers in high orbit space pair, and the a couple cheap mxl 990's for room ambience. So yes and yes to big kit and close mic'ing. So the grand total for 16 mics is about $350. Less than a studio class condenser. Yeah i know, i'm a cheapskate.

I have always been a fan of the beyer dynamic snare mics, Don't remember a particular model but i used one in the studio once and fell in love. I know the one i like is a discontinued series though. maybe someone else can fill in the model number?

For kick drums I like the Senheisser E902

Toms I like the Senheisser M421

For overheads i have always loved using Sure SM81's or Neuman KM184's

Wish i could remember the model of that beyer dynamic, i would love to find one of those

-matt

Back