Just bought this Zickos....

63ludwig

Any suggestions on heads or any idea as to the year of production? Thx

IMGP0766.jpg

IMGP0765.jpg

IMGP0764.jpg

I would ask Zickosdrummer for his opinions :) And make sure it's not his stolen kit.

His was blue-ish wasn't it?

Nice. Every time I see pics of kits like that they play tricks on my eyes. In the second pic thought you had two bass drums at first...

I would ask Zickosdrummer for his opinions :) And make sure it's not his stolen kit.

No, it's not my kit. It is beautiful, though. Besides, I still had mine in 2007. (BTW, I had to change my handle to Zickos due to an administrative snafu, but it is still me) It is either a later model or has after market lugs. I would opt for the later. I like the black hardware. The rims mounts were definitely put on later. I wish I had them on mine. Can't seem to find ones to fit. What brand are yours?

I personally prefer the blue hydraulic heads that were original equipment. The heads on my new kit that aren't the original are Evans. I'm not sure if anyone else currently makes them. I spoke to an Evans rep at the 2010 drum day in Tulsa and he told me he thought Evans made the original ones for Zickos. It took me a little while to get used to the new ones but I like them just fine and they make the kit look great (avatar is my old kit).

Your kit is a beautiful. Enjoy it and use it in good health.

P.S. After a second look at your pics, I think all of the black hardware is after market. Zickos used full metal backup plates on all of its hardware. Plus, the original mounting plates are still there and the tom rims are not original. Zickos used a tongue and groove system with a quick throw off. I still like yours a lot.

Last edited:
His was blue-ish wasn't it?

Nice. Every time I see pics of kits like that they play tricks on my eyes. In the second pic thought you had two bass drums at first...

Reminds me of a line from "Yellow Submarine", the film not the song.

A: Are you blueish?

B: Yes.

A: You don't look Blueish.

A fellow on Cymbalholic thinks he saw a snare on the Zickos website a good while back on special with these lugs. The bass lugs are quick release and the tom lugs have the same general specs as their other lugs. The extra plating on the shell contact points and the lugs screw into the little round guys (which pop out annoyingly when you unscrew the lug). The R.I.M.S. are made by gibraltar. The hoops seem way too cheap and flimsy to come out of the Zickos shop. They still have the made in taiwan sticker on the tom hoops and the bass hoops have material rattling around in it. Probably gonna try better hoops and leave the hardware. I wish there were green hydraulic heads or red. The Zickos logo is the newer one from what I can gather by pictures online. BTW the time stamp is off. I took that picture 2 days ago.

If your BD is 22", I have an extra set of Zickos hoops. They have a few rust problems. Will send pics if you want. Also, if you're not going to use them, I'm interested in the tightening screws (don't know what you call them) on your tom mounts and BD mounts. Someone used a pair of pliers on mine and chipped off the chrome. Could you please post a better pic of your logo?

This is my kit:

Sorry man, I definitely would help you if I could, but all those screws are missing on my kit. I am trying to hunt down the guy that sold the kit to the store but it is a long shot at best. That is Camco hardware right? I wonder if you could find some extras searching using Camco as a keyword. Thanks for the offer but I am gonna try to get some custom made by Phattie, who is just down the road from me here in Asheville NC. Check out his site, he has some cool stuff. The logo is the same as the one on their website, reference the phantom series, except there is no lines below and above the Zickos name on mine.

Beautiful kit by the way, sorry to hear about your previous one. There is a special place in hell for those who steal gear.

Back