Barefoot? Or with Shoes? how do you play?

I've gone a little back and forth.

My DW5000 pedals initally scared my feet a little and definetly ate my socks, but I'm back to barefoot again now and don't think I'll ever go back. I can play both ways, but I guess I just like being barefoot in general.

Socks!
I had a falling out with socks for a little bit though because I ripped a chunk of skin off of my big toe from the chain, but my technique and chain awareness have both improved and I've come back to the sock playing.

Chucks are AMAZINGLY comfortable and accurate. there's no heel. the shoe is completely flat. I prefer the cut offs from the hi-tops, but never the less... i only play with my chucks!! :D

If flip flops count as shoes, then that's what I voted for. The kind that has a thong thing that goes between your toes. Only a few times I felt comfortable drumming with a heavy shoe with the laces untied.

I don't like drumming barefoot because my feet get all sweaty. ^^;

Either. I can never play with slippers (flip flops). Just like running or driving: Either barefoot or shoes. Slippers are too cumbersome and clumsy.

...Any slippers, flip-flops, leather sandals?

I could never play barefoot... Pedals are always cold to me, so even with socks it's just uncomfortable. I also don't have a particular difference in shoes. I usually wear leather Chuck Taylors, but I also have Addidas superstars. As long as they're shoes, I'm fine, lol.

Anyone know what it's like to drum in cowboy boots? I've often wondered that...

One of these usually works for me. If not, just barefoot.

Attachments

• jimi shoe.jpg
    jimi shoe.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,693
  • blacklowtop.jpg
    blacklowtop.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 6,684
Socks ftw. I play heel down mainly, so shoes really inhibit my response. Plus there's zero pedal feel. I do a lot of fast stuff heel up with my big toe lol. I always tuck my pantleg in my sock too. Same with my......

nevermind.

Lately I've been playing with just socks on. My kick work feels more accurate, But at the same time I feel I loose a lot of power on each stroke.

The first few decades I played with shoes traditional grip. The last 16 years I've played barefoot matched grip. With the calluses on my feet I could walk on nails. If it is easy stuff I'll wear shoes, but if I prefer barefoot. And naked with just a sock on my privates-Naw just kidding with the sock.

Barefoot only - sox are too slippery and all shoes are too cumbersome imo....

So do you shoe guys and girls wear gloves too? ;-)

Up until about a month ago I always played in my socks... I always felt that i had more precision from my kick pedal... Then while my wife and i were out shopping for new tennis shoes for each of us I saw these suede Pumas and they were on sale for 30 bucks so I thought "why not?"... wore them that night to a gig and they felt fantastic on my feet! very light and thin soled with great flexibility and the traction on the thin soles were the perfect amount, for me.... no more shoes underneath the snare while i play!

http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7648607/151

Barefoot at home, Vibram Fivefingers elsewhere, unless it's really cold in the basement, then I'll wear the fivefingers.

I play wearing Doc Marton boots! haha But I only play heel down at the moment. I reckon when I try heel up it wont be so easy...But wearing these for heel down makes it LOUDER which doesn't really happen when I wear Converse :-(

Back