Travis Barker: Underrated or Overrated? What do you think of him?

Don't you remember being a teenager? Your heroes were the best in the world, and everyone who thought differently were obviously idiots (even if you hadn't really heard of the artists in question). That's just how the brain works at that age.

Let them have their heroes. If they stick with drumming, they will branch out and discover other players soon enough.

yip, my opinion!

May be total out ouf context now but when I was younger (2 years ago or so.. haha) I used to think that all drummers like travis barker and those guys who mostly play those simply beats suck.
BUT in the meantime I recognized, that those people actually do one of the best jobs! (imo) of course, they don't play those crazy chops like tony royster, benny greb and those drummers.
but they're able to keep a steady beat and support the music..
pretty respectable in my opinion

I think Travis Barker is inspiring a lot of kids, so that's good enough for me. I think where his problem lies is that he is seen as a bit of a one-trick-pony compared to a lot of other popular drummers. If he were to branch out a bit convincingly away from Blink182 he'd probably garner a bit more respect among critics.

He's actually done a lot more than Blink 182. The Transplants, +44, Boxcar Racer, and his solo album are all very good.

He has SUCH a unique drum style. Showy, yet groovy, fast, yet contolled. I love it. I'm not a blink 182 fan at all either (haven't been since 8th grade).

He's definitely overrated by those who adore him, and underrated by those who despise him.

Regardless, I wish he'd join Drummerworld so that we could pick his brain!

Yes, but put yourself in a 15 year-old's shoes with only a couple years of experience. What are the chances that kid will have consciously sought out any of those drummers you mentioned?

Don't you remember being a teenager? Your heroes were the best in the world, and everyone who thought differently were obviously idiots (even if you hadn't really heard of the artists in question). That's just how the brain works at that age.

I am still. Besides, why does it have to be kids, lol? :)

Let them have their heroes. If they stick with drumming, they will branch out and discover other players soon enough.

Agree.

One thing he've done, which I'm very grateful of, is how he embrace a whole new generation with drumming. I guess Travis really is the new Tommy Lee in many ways. I respect the guy. His playing is simple (hehe!) and what the music requires.

Neither.

Very good drummer. He gets unfair treatment because fanboys of his go on a Tony Williams video and say stuff like "OMG Travis would destroy this chump" and hence people get pissed off with that.

He actually is good though and has some very decent chops.

I agree with quite a few of the previous posters: He's doing what he likes to do, entertains a lot of people, and gets paid for it. How is that any different from what any of us would do, given the chance? Travis has also inspired a lot of young kids to pick up sticks and get on the drums, which I am glad to see. In that respect, he doesn't differ much from Gene, or Ringo, or Neil in their heydays.

I occasionally watch YouTube videos but I never care to read the comments. I have better things to do with life.

If I had to point to one thing I don't really care for, it's his setup - cymbal stands as high as they will go and toms flattened out at knee level. And even that would be okay, if I didn't have to reset the church drumsets every time one of his teenage imitators precedes me on the worship schedule =P But that's very minor.

I have respect for anyone who makes a living playing drums - period. Whether he's under-rated/over-rated is irrelevant. I wish I was making a living playing my drums.

Having said that, he's the best drummer in his band... smirk

Who is Travis Barker?
(Haha, no really, I think he's good, but I don't get the hype about him.)

good rock drummer. nice DnB ideas. my only beef is that he looks very, very stoned in every print ad i have ever seen him in.

He has SUCH a unique drum style. Showy, yet groovy, fast, yet contolled. I love it. I'm not a blink 182 fan at all either (haven't been since 8th grade).

He's definitely overrated by those who adore him, and underrated by those who despise him.

Regardless, I wish he'd join Drummerworld so that we could pick his brain!

I really like this from Deltdrum. I also agree that Travis is awesome in Blink. I would like to see Travis on this forum also. The Pros on this forum that come in here and share their wealth of knowledge day in and day out is more incredible and under rated to me any day of the week. There is something about a person who esteems others more than themselves that really counts in life.

I really am not a fan of his style of playing, his music, and especially his technique, but it works for him and he is doing what he loves. Any time I hear him in an interview, he is always chill and very laid back and I like that. He doesn't come off with an attitude that he is the greatest gift to drumming. All in all, I am not a fan of his stuff, but he should keep on going.

I still cant help but laugh watching this video though. He sticks out so bad xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpeGTzvYUw&feature=related

Back