Questions to ask famous drummers

Woogy

I always imagine a scenario where I meet a drummer I really admire at a concert and I'm always too star-struck to think of a question or way to start a conversation. What would you guys ask/say?

I've met/shared the stage with some pretty big name guys. Unless they are in hair metal bands, most of them are pretty approachable. Maybe just introduce yourself and see what happens. The conversation may not go quite the way you were hoping but go with it. If you are respectful and open to advice, generally they will give it. Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People". If you are a nice guy and get them talking about themselves, you will pick up info that will help you. It may not answer the question you had in mind but it may open up whole new avenues you had never even considered.

I always imagine a scenario where I meet a drummer I really admire at a concert and I'm always too star-struck to think of a question or way to start a conversation. What would you guys ask/say?

I'd probably ask, "Hey from one drum freak to another, how many snares do you really play"

It's usually a questions I ask most drummers I meet and you would be surprised that the answer is usually no more than two.

I always ask musicians I admire, who do they admire?

I met Vinnie Paul in his strip club in Dallas and I asked him about his thoughts on drumming. He said "Practice, hit em hard, and f*ck anybody else that doesn't wanna do it that way."

I'd ask Vinnie C. why he had to ruin his place in Zappas band with making deals behind his back. I mean come on.

I've met an untold number of well known drummers.

And for the most part, I rarely have anything to really to ask, it's not like they don't know who they are, and with the net, you can look up interviews with said player to find answers to most common questions.

I've also been to a number of clinics where someone asked a really dumb question, and I don't want to that guy!

I remember being at a Tony Williams clinic, and someone asked him what does when the wing nut on hi-hat clutch comes loose, and Tony just looked sort of dumbfounded, and said "tighten it." Oye.....

How much do you make?? Just kidding...

I may ask them their philosophy on working with a bass-player or maybe their thoughts on an effective practice routine.
I may ask them their thoughts on preparing for the studio or touring tips.

Last edited:
When I meet a drummer I admire, I usually ask the following incredibly deep and layered question:

"Hey, how's it going!?"

After a clinic here in town and after 2 hours of drums I asked Steve Ferrone who his favorite football club was. It was not one in the Premier league. We talked more football than drums. I normally just introduce my self and say welcome to town. they are just regular Joes

Baybee ... this cougar could get you purring ... whroar!

Seriously, I once asked a pro-drummer in a semi-famous band for tips and he suggested to play with conviction, which I still think is good advice. He was a clean, strong player with a good sounding kit.

When you ask someone for just one tip - doesn't have to be famous, could be a peer - they will either reply with their main credo or whatever aspect is on their mind at the time. The answer's always enlightening.

I've always wanted to ask John Densmore of The Doors why he reversed the clave on Break On Through.

I met Vinnie Paul in his strip club in Dallas and I asked him about his thoughts on drumming. He said "Practice, hit em hard, and f*ck anybody else that doesn't wanna do it that way."
I asked the man why he switched from Tama to Pearl. Didn't get much past "cause Tama was pissing me off" but we technically still talked drums!

I've met an untold number of well known drummers.

And for the most part, I rarely have anything to really to ask, it's not like they don't know who they are, and with the net, you can look up interviews with said player to find answers to most common questions.

I've also been to a number of clinics where someone asked a really dumb question, and I don't want to that guy!

I remember being at a Tony Williams clinic, and someone asked him what does when the wing nut on hi-hat clutch comes loose, and Tony just looked sort of dumbfounded, and said "tighten it." Oye.....

That's pretty funny. haha...

Some people just want to be talked to by that drummer and they'll think of just anything to ask. I'm not sure what I'd ask any drummer off hand. It would have to be in the moment if anything. I'm sure it would be more of a technique question too, probably not a gear question because I play a very simple kit. Although Wally Ingram has some interesting metal percussion around his kit that might be worthy of a question or two.

Sometimes you just have to treat them like a normal person and ask them a normal question like "How are you?" and "How long will you be in the city?" and "Are we treating you okay" and "How is this room for sound?" and "Did you watch the game?" etc.

Don't try to be too eager; just be cool.

GJS

It depends on the drummer, it would probably be a question about a particular song or band he/she's played with. Otherwise, I'm more likely to ask how they're doing, if they're working on something new, or if it's at NAMM, did they have a good trip and are they enjoying the show. Or simply that I admire their playing. They hear that all the time, but sometimes that's all I've got. Where I know the drummer's wife or kids' names, I'll ask how they're doing. Just normal chitchat, we're all just people. There are probably only a few guys on such a pedestal that I'd be stuck for words.

Bermuda

Back