DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Default Starclassic Bubinga / Star Bubinga question

I have been looking at kits. Not to purchase, just out of interest.

What makes the Star more expensive than the Starclassic.

I assume the hardware would make a big financial difference. But the shells are more what I am interested in. The Tama site says the shells are much thinner on the Star than they are on the Starclassic. Would this not lower the cost of the kit. Thus leaving the Starclassic as the top of the range kit.

I know its all about tone at the end of the day. But that is all subjective. What makes Tama think the thinner shells are better tonally. I personally prefer a thicker kit because I like less resonance. And from what I have read and what I have heard the thicker kits have a nicer attack. So for me being into hip hop and gospel styles of playing, it seems the Starclassic would be the better option.

And on the personal opinion side of things, I feel the Starclassic is a waste of money since there is another higher end kit. But I wouldn't want the higher end kit because I prefer the build of the cheaper one. Which I wouldn't get because then I feel like I am missing out. Prejudice I suppose. But now that that idea is in my head I would perhaps look for a different kit from a different manufacturer.

Does anybody else feel like that.

Again, not looking to purchase anytime soon. Just discussing it.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Starclassic Bubinga / Star Bubinga question

The basic answer is some people feel better about themselves if they overpay for a drumkit.

"That's an amazing sounding kit. I cant see the drummer from where I'm sitting, but I bet hes using a Tama Star kit".

Said no one ever. (You can substitute Tama Star with any number of overpriced kits with marketing nonsense like "exclusive heat compression shell technology", "timbre matched" and the like)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Star: Made in Japan. Different shell construction & bearing edges. Re-rings on all shells.

Starclassic (as of 2010): Made in China. Equal-thickness on all wood plies. No re-rings on standard shells. More info here.

However, you can still order a Japanese-made Starclassic kit, with the usual 6–8 month wait time, and at a much higher cost than a comparable Chinese kit.

Regarding resonance, Tama offers "hyper drive" shell depths on both models to help shorten the decay time. Ronny uses 'em: https://youtu.be/uHFJ9qhR0VM
Old 12-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24K View Post
Does anybody else feel like that.
No, no one. You go for the drums that satisfy your musical needs, and are made by talented people using good quality materials. Star drums require more work and time and are manufactured in a country that has a higher labor cost. They also had a long R&D time.

Starclassic are great drums too, but benefit from the lower labor cost in China and probably use more automated or machine assisted processes.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post

Regarding resonance, Tama offers "hyper drive" shell depths on both models to help shorten the decay time. Ronny uses 'em: https://youtu.be/uHFJ9qhR0VM
I think the whole point is right there : A guy like Ronald Bruner Jr makes his drums (or any drums for that matter) sound incredible. Thinking the other way around is pointless.

Gotta go work on my 16th triplet fills now, after that clip I kinda get the feeling I have not done a great job so far...
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM

I was not aware of them being made in China. In South Africa the majority of the Starclassics are still Japanese.

Its odd to me that the Starassic was the top dog and then the star came along and it has the same wood but different plies. As if the classic isn't good enough because of the construction of the shells.

I have no issue with kits that aren't the top of the line. I'm saving up cash for a second hand Catalina. Its just in this situation with both being Bubinga but having different plies and the price being so different. Of course the Chinese thing does make a difference.

I am a big fan of the Pearl Reference kit. And I like the Masterworks with its options. But they are two different things. Depending on how you build your Masterworks. With the Tama I just couldn't see the difference that makes a difference. But I am new to drumming and its all about learning.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

There does come a point of diminishing returns on the top end stuff. The Starclassics are built really well and sound great. The Stars are built pretty much exactly the same and also sound great, but the Star's are another 30% more. Are you getting 30% better sound and build out of them over the Starclassics? I would say no. You are likely getting 3-5% better sound and build out of the Star kit, but because it is the flagship there is just a bit more time and attention along with having Tama's best craftsman building them. That's why they cost more. Is this going to be something you even notice between the kits? Maybe, but will you perceive it as being worth an additional 30%? That's for you to decide.

The jump between a Silverstar and a Starclassic Performer B/B is a pretty big jump in price, but when you look at what you get between the two, you can see where the additional money is going. S/C Performer vs straight Starclassic, its a bit harder to see where the extra money is going. Starclassic vs Star, even harder to see the differences. They are there, but to many people the differences are not worth the extra price.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

I have both an MIJ Star bubinga kit, a MIJ Starclassic bubinga Select and recent (2015 I believe) MIC Starclassic bubinga kit. All three sound fantastic. The Star emits a slightly more musical, pure note if that makes sense but you can't differentiate either in terms of quality. Top notch craftsmanship all around for production drums. Others have hit the nail on the head for explaining cost differences and if you can get a Star at 30% above Starclassic prices, jump on it. Star kits are about double from what I've experienced. Great drums.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
. . . and if you can get a Star at 30% above Starclassic prices, jump on it. . . .
STAR Walnut here.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:22 AM

I suppose that does make sense. Thanks for all the answers guys.