Its all in the family

sonormapex

Anyone here performing with other relatives? Are you more likely to argue or is it working out for you?. I know if I had to play with my brother in a band, sparks would fly!
How about your situation?

Anyone here performing with other relatives? Are you more likely to argue or is it working out for you?. I know if I had to play with my brother in a band, sparks would fly!
How about your situation?

Spent a decade in a band with my brother. We used to play a game called, "Who can be a bigger asshole?". We now reside 3000 miles away from each other and our relationship has never been better.

Was never able to take instruction from my pro-guitarist father. Apparently, aliens abducted me when I was 12 years old and replaced me with someone that already knew everything.... ;-) I think he might be a bit sarcastic.

My brother plays bass in my Lady Gaga band. That's about it.

It works out. He confers to me in my theory/arrangement/general music knowledge, but I do ask his advice from time to time on things.

Played in a band with my younger bro for 3 years, and we never had a cross word. He blew me away when he learned a set of 24 original songs in a week....from a cassette tape. No music, tab or charts back then, just his ears. He had never played bass before that, he was also a drummer, but our bassist threw a strop and walked a week before an important gig. He still plays bass, and drums, and guitar and keys. I would hate him but he is impossible to dislike, he is just a nice guy, and he obviously got a better deal in the talent genes than I did.

My whole family is drummers, so not really.
My Father is the one exception. He plays Guitar. A bunch of years ago I had him come due a studio thing with me. We recorded background music for a TV show I was on at the time. We've only shared the stage once. I came home to visit, we had a big party at a local dive and we did a show together with a bunch of guys he normally plays with.

Lots of fun, would love to do it again.

My family couldn't play a radio. No musicality at all. They all loved to listen to music, and dance, but I was the only one bitten by the performing bug.

Now my brother at 62 has started taking guitar lessons. I don't think we'll ever play in a band together. :)

In the first iteration of my band, in a fit of misguided brotherly loyalty I invited my brother to join (as rhythm guitarist).

I maintain that to be a musician at any given level requires a certain mix of talent and effort. Let's just say he wasn't applying sufficient effort for his level of talent. Shortly before our first public performance I let him down as gently as I know how.

"F*ck off, your playing sucks!"

Was in a band for about 5 years with a husband / wife. It also happens that the husband was also my nephew via marriage. It was pretty good at times, but when it was bad it got really bad. They would bring bickering into the band room, almost constantly towards the end. They would constantly vote for each other in band decisions because if the didn't it would cause arguments outside the band room (mainly him going with whatever she wanted).

Instead of a 4 piece band having 25% shares this situation caused us to be 25%, 25%, 50%. Effected practices, choice of songs, shows to take / pass on. It got pretty toxic at the end. Honestly I would never do it again.

The rhythm guitarist and myself got a new bassist and lead vocalist who aren't related and couldn't be happier.

Spent a decade in a band with my brother. We used to play a game called, "Who can be a bigger asshole?"

Oh my gosh! I didn't know you in Oasis! :)

Here you go:

• I've played music with my brother which was fun. That was a long time ago, but I'd be happy to play with him at any day now.
  • I play music with my wife at church every other week. She plays bass.
  • In addition, I play in a 3-piece band, and the other two guys are twins. They are super-nice, but it's funny to watch them get into it every once in a while because they are just a couple of country boys. Neither one of them can get anywhere on time.

I jam with my son and it's a deep experience for me. Never in a band with fam tho.

Hmmm. I only picked up guitar because my son bought one. Then my daughter helped me by playing piano while I learned some guitar. For good or for bad, none of my musically talented kids has the urge to perform. They just play for their own pleasure.

It would please me immensely though, if they ever did agree to play in public with me!

Back