Anyone heard of the double-single pedal? "The Duelist"?

Cakco Drums

Apparently there's a single kick pedal with two beaters? Play double with one foot?
Has anyone heard of this or played them? I'm interested as hell.
I'm a single (pedal) guy, and I don't like the look of doubles, but this could be cool and different.. or complete shizz?
Anyone had experience, what do ya think?

Here's a link to the site: http://www.theduallist.com/

yeah, its crap

everyone i've ever seen own one has wanted to sell it imediately

tried it once, ugh, hated it

don't do it man

Hey, how's it going in Kitchener?

Try doing a search for it. There's already a few huge threads with widely varying opinions for "it's cheating!" to "it's great". Check em out.

hmmm.. I'm guessing I'll end up hating it, because it won't come easy, but then again, it may have potential to be something weird and cool...
doubt it though.
damn, I don't want to shell out the cash to test it, and I don't know anyone who owns one.

Sonor also makes a pedal just like that , I don't know if it is better or worse. I like the look of the Sonor better.

Sonor also makes a pedal just like that , I don't know if it is better or worse. I like the look of the Sonor better.

The Sonor Twin Effect pedal is not like the dualist. You have to press the front for one beater and use the heel to press down for the other beater. Pressing down on the dualist uses the first beater and when the footboard comes up it activates the second beater. Different concept.

DMC, where are you?

yeah its got a heel board that you use to depress the second beater, i find the sonors to be more of a natural concept. my reason for disliking the dualist is that the single action is merely ok, and the double just doesn't feel natural, i want more control than that

I had a Duallist when they first came out (maybe 10-12 years ago) and it basically does one thing: even, fast doubles in a given tempo range. Apart from that one feature, it's an atrocious single pedal. It's amazing to me that they're still promoting the pedals. There are supposedly some improvements, but last time I tried one (a NAMM show or two ago...) they still felt the same to me.

If all you want to do are fast 16ths, and you don't have a double pedal, then it's the ideal solution. But don't expect to do anything else with it.

Bermuda

I have played a Duallist for more than three years and I love it. Fast 16ths, driving shuffles, 32nd note fills, etc., are amazingly fun to play. It also makes a very good single pedal, which is where I use it 95 percent of the time. To use it well, you will need good right-foot skills. When you get better at controlling it, all sorts of unusual syncopated rhythmic figures start to emerge. Plus, you will have your left foot free for hihat and foot percussion.

It is a very controversial piece of gear and not for everyone, because it will change the way you approach the set. People with the strongest opinions against it, oddly, have never played it.

Search the site for Duallist and Dualist. There are a number of long threads on it.

I have one and thought it would be wonderful..however, I have thought of selling it. I only use the "double" pedal on one song with the band, and it takes lots of practice to get to where you can control it well. I DON't like it as a single pedal, it seems cumbersome to me. I have adjusted it many times and can't seem to get the feel I want. Since I've been using it on my edrums I want to try it out on my new acoustics, but I don't think it will make much difference.
I think the pedal is WAY more expensive than it should be, but that's my opinion. I have a cheap PDP pedal that has smoother feel than it.
I guess I haven't totally decided which pedal I'll use. I don't guess I've ever played any of the top of the line pedals, but this top dollar one is not worth it to me. I used to have a tama chain drive pedal and it worked fine for 20 years, no problems. I am unsure this will last 1/2 that long.
Hope this helps your decision.

Melinda

I have one and thought it would be wonderful..however, I have thought of selling it. I only use the "double" pedal on one song with the band, and it takes lots of practice to get to where you can control it well. I DON't like it as a single pedal, it seems cumbersome to me. I have adjusted it many times and can't seem to get the feel I want. Since I've been using it on my edrums I want to try it out on my new acoustics, but I don't think it will make much difference.
I think the pedal is WAY more expensive than it should be, but that's my opinion. I have a cheap PDP pedal that has smoother feel than it.
I guess I haven't totally decided which pedal I'll use. I don't guess I've ever played any of the top of the line pedals, but this top dollar one is not worth it to me. I used to have a tama chain drive pedal and it worked fine for 20 years, no problems. I am unsure this will last 1/2 that long.
Hope this helps your decision.

Melinda

You should give the Duallist more of a chance. It allows you to do a few things relatively easily, assuming you have good right foot skills, like shuffles and 16th notes - very basic things that would take many hours of practice to do as well on double pedals, or a single pedal. However, more complex figures on the Duallist will take practice. It is a separate instrument that requires study and practice to use effectively. The adjustments are key and you should expect to spend quite a bit of time over several weeks to tweak the 11 different adjustment points.

The adjustments are key and you should expect to spend quite a bit of time over several weeks to tweak the 11 different adjustment points.

That was probably my biggest complaint, the fact that the pedal wouldn't dial-in fairly quickly, in addition to whatever adjustment was made to one beater mechanism threw the other out of whack. It was just too much of a balancing act to make me want to keep it. Every pedal I've owned from DW (multiple models), Ludwig (multiple models), Tama, Yamaha, Sonor, Pearl (multiple models), Trick (multiple models) and Rogers could be adjusted to perfection in 5-10 minutes at the most.

Bermuda

Mike Johnston on YouTube can do faster doubles than that thing can do and he using a regular single pedal. Check out this video at 2:30... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0LaJ_ftT0 ...it shows that if you work long enough you can beat any kind of gimmicky pedal.

You should give the Duallist more of a chance. It allows you to do a few things relatively easily, assuming you have good right foot skills, like shuffles and 16th notes - very basic things that would take many hours of practice to do as well on double pedals, or a single pedal. However, more complex figures on the Duallist will take practice. It is a separate instrument that requires study and practice to use effectively. The adjustments are key and you should expect to spend quite a bit of time over several weeks to tweak the 11 different adjustment points.

You're kind of killing your argument. I would rather work for hours on getting my regular single pedal fast than work for weeks trying to get used to the dualist.

Last edited:
thanks for your encouragement deathmetalconga. I do use it for 16ths and shuffle feels, except our band rarely plays a shuffle, and the L beater always seemed less forceful than the R. However, this was on my edrums and our bands practice set. I did try the dualist today on my new acoustic drums, just to see what it would do. (I hadn't even read your post yet). To my surprise it was alot easier to play and smoother. I still don't like it much on the single pedal though. I guess I could take it and use it for the few songs I can use the double on. We have a gig next weekend and that's probably what I'll do, since the other pedal is new and I haven't used it to perform yet. Might be nice to have a backup.
I will have to assess it more I guess, before I sell it.

Last edited:

I understand it an emotive subject in that traditional double players may hate it - but the concept is good and it seems a few users here are happy with it... if I came across a used one going cheap I would buy one even just to explore what it can do!
I have an open mind that way and will give anything a go and try hard to make it work also.
Oh well. I have a feeling this one will last a while in the debate!

In the mean tim if your in the uk- and have one you dont use- let me know!!!

Mike Johnston on YouTube can do faster doubles than that thing can do and he using a regular single pedal. Check out this video at 2:30... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0LaJ_ftT0 ...it shows that if you work long enough you can beat any kind of gimmicky pedal.

You're kind of killing your argument. I would rather work for hours on getting my regular single pedal fast than work for weeks trying to get used to the dualist.

Hey, if you can get a single pedal to go 240 bpm, good for you! With skills like that, double pedals and The Duallist would indeed seem gimmicky.

Back