Hour Lessons *

For all the teachers here!
I find during my lessons that 30 min goes by too quick and an hour is just too long, does anyone break these up, like 30 mins on hands, 30 on groove?

also for those savy with this forum, I accidently posted this under the wrong account, how do i go about deleting that post?

also for those savy with this forum, I accidently posted this under the wrong account, how do i go about deleting that post?

On the top right hand corner of this thread click on the thread tools icon, select the "move thread" option, in the new window, select the new destination section you want the thread to be view, click save, done.

For all the teachers here!
I find during my lessons that 30 min goes by too quick and an hour is just too long, does anyone break these up, like 30 mins on hands, 30 on groove?

I usually break up the lessons as follows:

School students in need of all around percussion:
Lesson broken into thirds
  • 1/3 Snare/pad - Reading, technique, rudiments
  • 1/3 Mallet percussion - Reading, technique, theory
  • 1/3 Drum Set - Styles, chart reading, coordination

Non-mallet students:
Lesson broken into halves
1/2 Snare Drum (same as above)
1/2 Drum Set (same as above)

After a certain proficiency is reached, you should probably consider longer lessons - maybe 45min. if you feel the hour is too much.

Jeff

For little kids up to maybe 10, 30 minutes max. I prefer 45-60 minute lessons for older kids who have the attention spans to handle it.

First half of the lesson spent on reading/rudiment/technique exercises on the snare, next half on the drumset either working on grooves, working on songs, or applying the snare exercises to the kit.

So I’m guessing that you have a lot of time on your hands.

I know the comment was for Noah, but I am curious. Why would a teacher offering 45 or 60 minute lessons have more time on their hands?

Or do you mean that kids today don't have large attention spans?

Jeff

I dont teach but in all the lessons for various instruments and composition that i took they were supposed be an hour but always ended up being closer to an hour an a half. Never wanted to stop playing or learning or hearing what my teachers wanted to say so i would prod them for more info or to show me more. Very beneficial, the more time the better IMHO

Back