When disaster strikes: Your opinion

I'd be stupid not to haul out the huge bricks of coke and meth. The drums aint no thang but a chicken wang.

No special policy here. All of my drums and guns are covered under the personal property part of homeowners.

Theft is a different story.

As much as I love my drums, I think I'd grab the hard drives out with all my song ideas and various recordings.

I could buy new drums. I could never remember all the bits of music.

Thanks for your insights, guys. As it happens, a friend of mine lives in the neighborhood in the north end of town that burned down. He was not at home at the time, and was keeping track of the disaster as he bounced through airports on the way home. He is a percussionist and all except a set of congas that were at a friend's place went up in smoke. Fortunately his family is safe and they are insured. He's had a very healthy sense of priorities about the incident.

Probably something none of us want to spend time thinking about, but always a thought-provoking topic.

How did you make out then? No problems I hope!

All of my good instruments are covered under our inland marine rider policy.

If my stuff gets burned, I MAKE money on the deal.

I own absolutely nothing that can't be replaced - no heirlooms or anything.

As long as my family is safe and I have clothes to get back and forth to work, I'm good.

Family, pets, then a laptop or hard drive containing all our family photos and records. (Although the most important stuff is now backed up in the cloud). All my good instruments are separately insured for fire, theft and damage.

We had a bad fire at the edge of Adelaide last summer. My secretary moved her children and animals to a relative, then she and her husband stayed as long as possible to keep everything damp. Finally left when the fire front came roaring over the ridge at the edge of their property.

Amazingly, the wind changed just after that, and the fire moved away. Neighbour's house gone. Their house spared. Makes you think.

How did you make out then? No problems I hope!

I was not affected, I live on the other end of the valley and our home was not in immediate danger.

As it happens, we're suffering from another bout of wildfire up here, worse than last year (which was the largest wildfire in state history). You may have heard about our three lost firefighters and the fact that military, volunteer, and international assistance is being deployed to fight these fires.

There are dozens of families affected. I'd like to ask those of you who are willing to consider a donation to the American Red Cross or another reputable service organization to help those victims. Thanks in advance.

Phone, iPad an all the clothes I could carry.

Plenty of my music stuff would be hard to replace, but I could play something different.

If I had time though, I would start packing and musical instruments would go way before any other material posessions.

Hope those bush/wild fires settle down! That is something that we in New England very rarely worry about, thankfully.

We do have hurricanes, occasional tornadoes and so on, though. And of course burglars. :D

Most of my gear is in a mill building/storage/rehearsal type space. I do insure that and my apartment (which has Rolands) for around $6 or $7/mo. I figure that for the cost of a sandwich at a fast food joint, I can at least be financially better off in case of DISASTER.

Hope those bush/wild fires settle down! That is something that we in New England very rarely worry about, thankfully.

We do have hurricanes, occasional tornadoes and so on, though. And of course burglars. :D

Most of my gear is in a mill building/storage/rehearsal type space. I do insure that and my apartment (which has Rolands) for around $6 or $7/mo. I figure that for the cost of a sandwich at a fast food joint, I can at least be financially better off in case of DISASTER.

Agreed - can't recommend specific contents insurance for your musical instruments enough. For $2.50/month, I have insurance for over $10,000 worth of musical instruments in my rehearsal space at their full replacement value in case of theft, fire, etc.

Because I tend to look for deals for items online and in stores, I often pay less than full retail, but the terms of my coverage are not what I paid but how much it would cost to replace. Not all insurance policies have that level of coverage from what I understand so you to make sure, especially if you are a deal seeker.

The one area that is a little bit grey is how do you impute a "replacement value" for vintage or discontinued gear? In my case, I have a lot of vintage gear as well, and the insurance company seems to place more weight on what I actually paid than what perhaps it would actually cost to replace that item in the ordinary course of business. i.e. I got an insane deal to buy a pair of mint 15" Paiste black label sound edge hats for $200 when the going rate online is at least 2-3X that. Obviously, unless you go to "sold items" under ebay, it is tough to establish an actual objective market value.

All of my good instruments are covered under our inland marine rider policy.

Good to point out! I was paying for an extend homeowner policy that I thought covered my gear. But I found out that since I was a professional ( declared income from playing on my income taxes) that policy was invalid. I swapped it over to an Inland Marine policy which does actually cover it.

My wife and I have talked about this and any of my musical gear is easily replaceable. The only thing that is not an animal life form or my hard drive with pictures is my guitarists amp. He has an amp that was handmade by Jess Oliver and is likely the only guitar specific amp ever made by the Oliver Sound Company. I'm not sure what the value of the amp is, but I know my insurance would never pay that amount for a guitar amp.

women don't age as well as cymbals, and you can buy insurance on them too

Before you leave...

Run through the house with a camera. Take a picture of anything that has value. That way, you have something to submit to the insurance company.

I did this in planning for distribution of special items to be included in my will.

Back