Best full time music program for drums??

Gladiatoranc

Well, heres a good topic. Im looking for a full time music school with a strong jazz program . There might not be the 'best school' but id like to know you guys opinion and pros and cons for different music programs out there.

Last edited:
i really got a lot out of Univ of Miami (studio / jazz performance degree). a love / hate relationship but the knowledge amassed there was amazing. toughest challenges for me were singing, piano, arranging & "diva" professors. after 5 years there, the drive for constant learning never stops & will do a complete 180 on your drumming style over the years.

sometimes i wish i went to Berklee tho as a different vibe and more well known. also where my family lives (new england). North Texas State was also a possible.

i really got a lot out of Univ of Miami (studio / jazz performance degree). a love / hate relationship but the knowledge amassed there was amazing. toughest challenges for me were singing, piano, arranging & "diva" professors. after 5 years there, the drive for constant learning never stops & will do a complete 180 on your drumming style over the years.

sometimes i wish i went to Berklee tho as a different vibe and more well known. also where my family lives (new england). North Texas State was also a possible.

So University offers music related only classes?? I thought you had to take other clases such as english, literature, language. I know all Berklee College Of Music courses are music related.

The program isn't going to make you into something you're not, so really, any 4 year school with a decent faculty, motivated students, and functioning practice rooms. There are a lot of places like that. In the west that would include U. of Oregon, San Jose State, U. of Washington, Wa @ Bellingham, Portland State, Boise State, Cornish, USC, or UC @ Berkley, LA, Long Beach, Northridge, or Riverside. There are probably others, and maybe a couple of those California schools have fallen off the radar since I was looking into them in the late 80's.

Eastman School of Music.

The one and only!!!! I'm hoping I'll be seeing quite a bit of that place in the next four years. It is number one on my son's audition list and he's definately got a good shot of getting in. Fantastic faculty!!!! Some of the greatest alumni in the percussion world!!!

The one and only!!!! I'm hoping I'll be seeing quite a bit of that place in the next four years. It is number one on my son's audition list and he's definately got a good shot of getting in. Fantastic faculty!!!! Some of the greatest alumni in the percussion world!!!

Excellent! I hope you get to see it as well and he ends up there/here. I've been an enormous benefactor of their faculty via the Community Music School. Simply irreplaceable eduction for me.

Heck, if he ends up going there and needs any help getting to know around the town, I can PM you my contact info. Let me know.

New York Jazz Academy it's also great. You can make it a full time programs if you take several courses, but the program it's a new thing, not a degree route. Prices are accessible and education is absolutely high quality!!

Back